Thread: Computer Freeze. Help!!!!

Default Computer Freeze. Help!!!!

Help!!!!

I'm having the problem of my computer freezing. Means i can't Ctrl + Alt + Del. I can do anything. The whole system just freeze. I have to hold the power button to cut the power and restart. I'm thinking it's a hardware problem but i can't put my finger to it. I can't solve my problem unless i can find it in the first place!!! It's killing me... sometimes my computer can run for two whole days, sometimes just a few hours, sometimes just a few minutes.

I ran Memtest and found that it's not a memory problem. I also opened up my casing to check for "popped" capacitors. None found.

I've formatted my computer just in case, but i do not believe it to be a software problem.

Anyone has similar experience, or how to go about checking which hardware fail? Better yet, any has any solutions to this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

I've posted it in HWZ but thought i'd try my luck here. Maybe someone has a similar experience?

Default Re: Computer Freeze. Help!!!!

Remove the PCI/AGP cards one at a time till stability is restored?

could be anything...might be HDD issue also. my laptop also happened same thing. in the end a free mobo replacement solved the problem
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Did you add any new hardware or software into your system recently ? If so, try update the device with the latest drivers or remove the device to see if system stability improves.

What OS are you using ? If WinXP, goto Start - Run - type in "sfc /scannow" to check your system files.

It could be a heating issue since you mention it works for varying duration. When was the last time it could work for 30 mins, 3 hrs and the whole day? What time was it ?

By the way, what was the last thing that you did before the system "froze" on you ?

-andy
    p.s Give your computer a jacket ! :P

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade05 View Post
    Did you add any new hardware or software into your system recently ? If so, try update the device with the latest drivers or remove the device to see if system stability improves.

What OS are you using ? If WinXP, goto Start - Run - type in "sfc /scannow" to check your system files.

It could be a heating issue since you mention it works for varying duration. When was the last time it could work for 30 mins, 3 hrs and the whole day? What time was it ?

By the way, what was the last thing that you did before the system "froze" on you ?

-andy
    p.s Give your computer a jacket ! :P
    Did not add any hardware to it. I don't believe it to be a software problem as well, as it also froze on the clean installation of XP. This problem has been going on and off for about 3 weeks. I believed it started happening when i first plugged in one of my CD card readers, and there was this error message that repeated pops up as a balloon in my taskbar, stating that the device i plugged in was unrecognised by windows. I've been using this card reader for at least 6 months without problem. The same message still appears even after i disconnected every USB device on my computer. I formatted my PC and this "unrecognised" device problem went away, next is my audio ports on my computer, of which windows keeps detecting my audio jack, before it disconnects. I'm beginning to believe its a motherboard problem. Is there any software which checks whether there is a problem with the mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy View Post
    Did not add any hardware to it. I don't believe it to be a software problem as well, as it also froze on the clean installation of XP. This problem has been going on and off for about 3 weeks. I believed it started happening when i first plugged in one of my CD card readers, and there was this error message that repeated pops up as a balloon in my taskbar, stating that the device i plugged in was unrecognised by windows. I've been using this card reader for at least 6 months without problem. The same message still appears even after i disconnected every USB device on my computer. I formatted my PC and this "unrecognised" device problem went away, next is my audio ports on my computer, of which windows keeps detecting my audio jack, before it disconnects. I'm beginning to believe its a motherboard problem. Is there any software which checks whether there is a problem with the mobo?
    The best solution is you get another motherboard and test.

buy a new one. fastest way out.

Do you have any anti virus software installed??

Computer too hot.
    Open the casing, use a fan to blow it.

confirm motherboard out of order, cos you get "random" errors. get another motherboard to test or send in to distro / service centre for diagnosis (they should have the equipment to test on the spot for you)
    Last edited by mervlam; 23rd December 2006 at 03:15 AM.

when the computer freeze. by any chance are you playing any music? if the music skips. then i believe is harddisk bad sector. try installing windows on another harddisk and try.

if still freezes the problem will come from the RAMs.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Very difficult to pin point this type of problem, well it's very easy for some just say change this change that...but I am sure you would have done that if you prepared to give up the current PC.......a more constructive suggestion will be to isolate the problem 1 by 1....I asumme you DIY......remove everything to bare, inspec everything to see if it's physically damage and replug in the hardware one at a time.....it can be CPU overheat....it can be the cpu heatsink fan loose contact or malfunction, video card fan not working properly....PSU not enought juice....add in card conk until you can reproduce the same problem
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 23rd December 2006 at 12:42 PM.

Help!!!!

I'm having the problem of my computer freezing. Means i can't Ctrl + Alt + Del. I can do anything. The whole system just freeze. I have to hold the power button to cut the power and restart. I'm thinking it's a hardware problem but i can't put my finger to it. I can't solve my problem unless i can find it in the first place!!! It's killing me... sometimes my computer can run for two whole days, sometimes just a few hours, sometimes just a few minutes.

I ran Memtest and found that it's not a memory problem. I also opened up my casing to check for "popped" capacitors. None found.

I've formatted my computer just in case, but i do not believe it to be a software problem.

Anyone has similar experience, or how to go about checking which hardware fail? Better yet, any has any solutions to this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

I've posted it in HWZ but thought i'd try my luck here. Maybe someone has a similar experience?

I have this problem on my previous 2 PCs. It freezed sometimes and i reformat / install the OS. The problem goes away when i change my motherboard... yes... it is that particular brand that seem to always cause me problem

From the description above, most likely M/B. bring back to M/B distributor/ service center to check.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm using an ASUS P5LD2 mobo, bought from Chamoxa @ simlim. I emailed them about the problem, hopefully after christmas can bring it down. But what i'm afraid is i bring down then my computer decides to run for a few days without freezing? Since it's as such a wide range of interval i really don't think it's possible to immediately for the shop to even witness the problem. Lidat dun think i can get back my PC for a few days...

p.s. Yeah sometimes i playing music then the pc hang. i watch TV on my computer also sometimes hang. Sometimes nothing on also hang, so might it still be a hdd bad sector problem?