Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Curse of the Golden flower(Movie Spoiler)

Default Re: The Curse of the Golden flower(Movie Spoiler)

Zhang's Movie is more towards Arts not much of stories, I think... movie are not longer walking towards storielines but more towards arts.
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Quote Originally Posted by erizai View Post
    Ya..Agreed.

The show keep on showing Gong Li and all other Women Assets. More like Fashion Show
    I don't find Gong Li attractive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zerofour View Post
    Zhang's Movie is more towards Arts not much of stories, I think... movie are not longer walking towards storielines but more towards arts.
    Yup, I think the focus of the movie isn't the story itself... Just focus yourself on the scenes and how the movie is captured...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Jack Neo's new movie trailer more interesting...

if this movie makes money it's gonna be because of the huge and ever growing pool of JC fans.

This is a good movie...

wonderful movie. very dark story, as expected since it's based on 雷雨.

as usual, Zhang Yi Mou filled his movie with lots of colourful motifs ... the piece of caligraphy written by the Emperor and Empress cleverly summarised the entire story

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    wonderful movie. very dark story, as expected since it's based on 雷雨.

as usual, Zhang Yi Mou filled his movie with lots of colourful motifs ... the piece of caligraphy written by the Emperor and Empress cleverly summarised the entire story
    i'm procrastinating... cos Jay Chou is acting...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I actually enjoyed the movie quite a lot. There are actually a few subtle messages in the movie targetted at the West (US, in particular). This is esp. so if you see in the credits page how many american companies are involved in parts of the movie, incl. movie distribution. Zhang obviously knew Americans were going to see the move. It wasn't intended solely for Asian consumption.

1. Note the scene after the coup ... hundreds of people appeared and cleared up the mess within hours, discarded bodies, washed away blood and just replaced the flowers.

This is a message similar to comments made by LKY after his recent visit to China where he commented how they managed to find so many people for the guard of honour of precisely the same height. Even in Singapore's Guard of Honour, you will always have some taller than others.

Like LKY's comment, the message to the West (Americans?) is that China is big, and poweful. It is a nation with resources ... it has lots of manpower and resources.

And like the way the insurrection was put down ... it will not hesitate to overwhelm dissent. I suspect Zhang had China's message to Taiwan in mind.

2. As noble as we Prince Jai was, even in trying to protect his mother ... and even if we think of him as the noble Prince doing what he had to do - he had to die. The message here is not unlike the one in "Hero"... that is, like the Emperor said.... while the motif(world?) is round and the table is square - everything, and everyone has its place.

The two messages are:
    1. For China to be strong, it cannot tolerate dissent. Another Tiananmen will happen if it is necessary.

2. Sometimes, it is better to sacrifice the one for the sake of the whole. This has always been Chinese culture - de-emphasizing the role of the individual (which is modern Western esp. American, culture) ... and so we see Prince Jai is given no choice and honourably chooses his own death.
    But we are never told what actually happens to his mother (or did I miss something?).

I'm a little hazy on specific movie details... since I only saw it once, but understanding the context and times in which the movie is made I think makes the interpretation valid.
    Last edited by Keltzar; 27th December 2006 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i'm procrastinating... cos Jay Chou is acting...
    must say that his acting is not good at all. put amongst the veterans, he's acting is really bad in this movie, but not bad enough to pull down the entire film imo

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    must say that his acting is not good at all. put amongst the veterans, he's acting is really bad in this movie, but not bad enough to pull down the entire film imo
    i got no idea y he can get best newcomer for Initial D as well... his acting sucks big time... and i really hate to see him act... super overhyped.

oh well... wait a while more, i might get to see it on channel 61 or 62.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltzar View Post
    I actually enjoyed the movie quite a lot. There are actually a few subtle messages in the movie targetted at the West (US, in particular).

1. Note the scene after the coup ... hundreds of people appeared and cleared up the mess within hours, discarded bodies, washed away blood and just replaced the flowers.

This is a message similar to comments made by LKY after his recent visit to China where he commented how they managed to find so many people for the guard of honour of precisely the same height. Even in Singapore's Guard of Honour, you will always have some taller than others.

Like LKY's comment, the message to the West (Americans?) is that China is big, and poweful. It is a nation with resources ... it has lots of manpower and resources.

And like the way the insurrection was put down ... it will not hesitate to overwhelm dissent. I suspect Zhang had China's message to Taiwan in mind.

2. As noble as we Prince Jai was, even in trying to protect his mother ... and even if we think of him as the noble Prince doing what he had to do - he had to die. The message here is not unlike the one in "Hero"... that is, like the Emperor said.... while the motif is round and the table is square - everything, and everyone has its place.

The two messages are:
    1. For China to be strong, it cannot tolerate dissent. Another Tiananmen will happen if it is necessary.

2. Sometimes, it is better to sacrifice the one for the sake of the whole. This has always been Chinese culture - de-emphasizing the role of the individual (which is modern Western esp. American, culture) ... and so we see Prince Jai is given no choice and honourably chooses his own death.
    But we are never told what actually happens to his mother (or did I miss something?).
    the Empress is the 'little woman' ( 小女人 ) in a big environment. her jealousy brought about the fall of the family and herself. the big environment cannot tolerate self indulgence and self pity, that's why the poison was served

the Emperor tried to teach the Empress the 4 virtues (the caligraphy scene) but in the end all were lost for the Emperor ... the nature of politics?

oh yes, not forgetting the famous lines in the movie ... the Emperor said, '我不给你的, 你不可以抢'

well probably it just more than curse of golden flower !! i like zhang yimou filmmaking techniques n style . ..scenery and cinematography ...
    Sometimes it is better to lose and do the right thing than to win and do the wrong thing.

actually abit unfair to judge JC lidat... he's still a newbie when it comes to acting ma... of coz CYF and GL are very good, so abit the unfair to pit JC against them. my 2 cents though.

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy View Post
    actually abit unfair to judge JC lidat... he's still a newbie when it comes to acting ma... of coz CYF and GL are very good, so abit the unfair to pit JC against them. my 2 cents though.
    it's not a matter of being fair or not, since it's a film made for international standard, it shall be judged as such

i just watched it as in just returned from the cines after this movie.

i have mixed feelings about them. the following represents my own thoughts only hor...

i like the heaps of chinese teachings all cleverly hid within the storyline and the acting and the various scenes which i'm very sure, the younger generation of today may not fully appreciate, let alone accept.

Alot of chinese teachigns (which MAY BE RIGHT or WRONG, doesn't really matter) were reflected in the movie and there is still this paradigm even in today's society when it comes to the roles.

1) The movie really is about a FAMILY after taking all the gold and silver and everything apart, and its about the "head , aka the ruler, aka the emperor" of the family. In trad chinese families, the head of family is usually the breadwinner and his word is like a decree. In trad chinese families, the women plays a 2ndary role (WHETHER U LIKE IS immaterial, it was how chinese culture was forged). In this case, the main female role (gongli) challenged this "norm" then, and again in our historical background, such challenges cannot be forgivable. Infact, throughout the history of china, emperors are empowered to decide the fate of his wife(s). However the emperor can have heaps of concubines.....the polygamy of that era were

2) there was almost a perverse accentuation of the bossoms of the then "lesser" species, which again underlines the absolute power of the "male" in that era, almost to the point of condeming the female to a seductive role WHETHER or not she was the initiator (remember the part when the emperor talked to the eldest prince). The major point of contention to this notion about male vs female became very clear when the 1st wife of the emperor appeared saving her daughter.

3) A son should never disobey his parents, father or mum. in this case, it was rather clearcut with jay chou committing suicide.

there are heaps more throughout the movie including the announcement of various timings of the day.

I don't know how many people practise this, but once awhile, i will refer to the "tong seng" esp when it comes to choosing an auspicious day and time and even checking to see if such a day is auspicious or not. Many a times, i don't understand how it really works in chinese geomancy but the part about the day and time of the chinese zodiac signs was something i was quite familiar about and it refers to the "ba" zhi of the DAY itself. U can pick up a HK version of the proper "tong seng" and refer to see which day and time is good for what activities and its corresponding "zodiac sign" . Many of the activites that were carried out in the past era were based on the indication of the "tong seng"....

what i DON"T like about the movie is that the boobs are really too distracting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that the acting was quite redundant in certain instances. Can Jay Chou act? .... neh to me...

overall, i think its a good learning movie if you can appreciate chinese practises and teachings.....

anywayz, just my thoughts lar

JC's acting is the same as his Initial D's face. :P

Though the fighting scene quite interesting...more keen to know who's the actress who acted as Xiao Chan...

Last edited by sbs99; 28th December 2006 at 12:12 AM.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

how did you managed to?

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    JC's acting is the same as his Initial D's face. :P

Though the fighting scene quite interesting...more keen to know who's the actress who acted as Xiao Chan...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast