Thread: Street Portrait: Ask or just shoot

Default Street Portrait: Ask or just shoot

Hi fellow snappers,

Saw some brilliant street candid shots but I was wondering, do you guys just walk up, aim, fired and then walk away as though nothing has happened or you guys actually chat up the subject and seek permission first?

I personally having this problem of having the courage to bring my com to eye and take aim without feeling like I'm intruding in someone else life..

Default Re: Street Portrait: Ask or just shoot

Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    Hi fellow snappers,

Saw some brilliant street candid shots but I was wondering, do you guys just walk up, aim, fired and then walk away as though nothing has happened or you guys actually chat up the subject and seek permission first?

I personally having this problem of having the courage to bring my com to eye and take aim without feeling like I'm intruding in someone else life..
    Mostly I will chat with then and ask them for permission, or get a tele lens and shot it from far away.
    Success doesn't come to you,
    you go to it. :)

walk up, aim, fired and then walk away as though nothing has happened
    That's just plain rude and does nothing but harm for the image of photographers (which is already very poor in Singapore for some strange reason or other)

Quote Originally Posted by ak6110 View Post
    or get a tele lens and shot it from far away.
    Camp somewhere overlooking a street corner or busy junction with a 300/4 (you'd be surprised with the number of opportunities). Even if you don't get any good shots, at the least you are making the reckless drivers drive safer on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    Hi fellow snappers,

Yes and no, but I do not have problem going around and shoot. I do ask permission and after the shoot show them what I took. If they not happy with it I will delete it right away.

Another way is to act blur blur.

YMMV

actually i think it depends on places, culture, and people and what camera u use, big or small..

who didn't get chased and cursed before?ha..

but just try not to make them uneasy if you have sensed their reaction =)

the worst thing i saw is a guy using a mid-range lense taking a beggar in the temple outside near bugis..

he knee himself like 2 metre from the beggar and took pic.. is the beggar a human being? or just your next award winning shot? ha.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    actually i think it depends on places, culture, and people and what camera u use, big or small..

who didn't get chased and cursed before?ha..

but just try not to make them uneasy if you have sensed their reaction =)

the worst thing i saw is a guy using a mid-range lense taking a beggar in the temple outside near bugis..

he knee himself like 2 metre from the beggar and took pic.. is the beggar a human being? or just your next award winning shot? ha.
    ya, that's what I witnessed before myself. Hence when I holding a camera myself. I always have this guilty feeling like am I getting too close. But I am actually very amazed that you guys actually took the shot and show it to the subject.

I guess I will try to warm up some of the subjects I'm really interested in. Tele lens doesn't take away the guilty feel I felt deep in...

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Camp somewhere overlooking a street corner or busy junction with a 300/4 (you'd be surprised with the number of opportunities). Even if you don't get any good shots, at the least you are making the reckless drivers drive safer on the roads.
    Try overhead bridge for better 'effect'

Some photographers, shoot first and smile with subject when being noticed. The candid moments is what you are after. Some stay and chat with subject, and capture 'candids' shots after.

Your call. Some say 'street photography' is people photography and one need to be friendly to get good shots (subjective as long as you like good enough liao) and the hit ratio/keepers is very low.

I find that i get more negative respond when I carry my DSLR compare to a digi cam, anyone share the same sentiments?

I was holding my SLR in my car as my brother was driving yesterday night around JB....looked into the view finder and the car towards my front left driver saw me ..... see him....

he got pretty agitated ..all most looks like he was gonna come out of the car.....

but hey.... it wasn't a portrait that i was taking....i was just shooting away...so too bad if he didn't like it...

but for portrait...i think its best ask for permission....the pose might be better...

when u're overseas...learn the native language...speak well..hide camera 1st...talk & interact...understand ur subject well while observing what setting to set..cos ur 1st shot will be e subject's best expression & that will be ur only chance..1 shot 1 kill..try to tell jokes...get them to smile or laugh..
    if u want candid ones...u have to go very close...shoot very fast...always be very friendly..always hide camera 1st...& then take it out when in close proximity...
    if they are hostile...go to "no holds barred" mode...run in..fire like gpmg...run for ur life...this applies only if u need the photo for assignment & that u absolutely have no choice.
    if u want a good shot, u have to go very close & summon up all ur courage & guts
    if its not a good photo opportunity..just ignore it & hunt for another 1..

just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by renegade150; 27th December 2006 at 03:19 AM.