Thread: Flashed Cat

Default Flashed Cat

Yes, yes, I flashed the cat. But it was in broad daylight and no catchlights are in the eyes, so I dont think that there's serious damage done. Anyway, tried to replicate the images I've seen in some websites and magazines, I think it was a style one photographer did for ACJC, can't remember the photographer now. Anyway, do critque!

Default Re: Flashed Cat

I think the lines are intrestingly composed such that they lead you to the cat. It seems though that the cat is a little OOF? I also find the unbalanced lighitng (half illuminated) of the cat very wierd. What is your purpose in shooting the cat at that location and in that style of lighting?
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Your image is underexposed.I was distracted by the bright sky and your object (the cat) is not separated from the background. But I think the cat is boring because of its eyes..

To improve this image, I think you should crop it then blur the background partially. Make us attracted by its eyes and its red tongue. I think it's quite interesting when I look closer at its tongue.

Don't know a golden rule number howmany..When we take photo of animals, focus at their eyes..
    Last edited by standingup; 21st December 2006 at 01:32 AM.

Check the hood. I think that's the offending part where it caused the shadow on the bottom part of the cat.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Check the hood. I think that's the offending part where it caused the shadow on the bottom part of the cat.
    i thought is TS's head

Never use the camera's built in flash when using a hood...
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Ok, here's my input.

I was not using the hood when I was using the built-in flash. I was using the 10-22mm and I wanted to use the flash to isolate the head from the body. I guess the lens is so wide such that the flash cannot cover the entire field.

Yes, I would agree that the way it is flashed is unpleasant, but I'm tired of the usual shots of the cat looking cute and nothing more. More over, I wanted to bring out the cat together with the blue sky. Because if no flash is used, the sky would become blownout.

I was trying to replicate like I said earlier, some fashion styles. The focus on the eyes of the cat, their expressions, I got some of those too, but I wanted to try something different. I think I will be moving in this direction from now on, hopefully can derive something new.

Cheers!

If you are intrested in alterative cat photos take a look at Azure's cat pics. They capture the life of a street cat without any cute sugar coating well. Perhaps his style might be something similar to what you want to achive?
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Never use the camera's built in flash when using a hood...
    It should be "Remove the hood when using the on-camera flash."

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    It should be "Remove the hood when using the on-camera flash."
    Duh... why cant it be use external flash when using the hood
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Yes, yes, I flashed the cat. But it was in broad daylight and no catchlights are in the eyes, so I dont think that there's serious damage done. Anyway, tried to replicate the images I've seen in some websites and magazines, I think it was a style one photographer did for ACJC, can't remember the photographer now. Anyway, do critque!

Nice..I kind of like it.

This photograph has a sense of attitude and curiosity that come forth by the potrayal of this animal. Flash, undexposure or what not be damned.. the 'flair factor' is there!.

Thanks Wisp, of all people you!

Never expect you to understand my photos. (:

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Duh... why cant it be use external flash when using the hood
    Even when you're using an external flash, a hood of a 12-24 will still interfere and cause shadows at 12mm settings.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Even when you're using an external flash, a hood of a 12-24 will still interfere and cause shadows at 12mm settings.
    Dudes dudes aren't you getting a bit too OT already. Anyway my take on the flash issue is if you are using a lens with lenshood on do not use your inbuild flash because there will be an ugly shadow.

If you use an external flash (420ex - 580ex), no matter how much your hood, I do not think there will be any shadow, unless someone else can provide me with a photo to prove me wrong.

Dudes dudes aren't you getting a bit too OT already. Anyway my take on the flash issue is if you are using a lens with lenshood on do not use your inbuild flash because there will be an ugly shadow.

If you use an external flash (420ex - 580ex), no matter how much your hood, I do not think there will be any shadow, unless someone else can provide me with a photo to prove me wrong.
    Sorry for the OT. Was trying to point out to the other forummer on the point, no pics on hand. Will try to check with my fren for an example.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Anyway, tried to replicate the images I've seen in some websites and magazines, I think it was a style one photographer did for ACJC, can't remember the photographer now.
    jing?

hahaha, ah! yes thats the one... but seems like my memory is failing me.. I thought his photos looked way better than those posted in the forum. I did see some in his website at one time. I loved those shots.