Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taipei MRT

Default Re: Taipei MRT

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    I heard from my Taiwanese friends that when the Taipei MRT started service, they had staff to stand at the escalator to remind the commuters to stand on the right. I guess after a while it becomes a habit. I think over here, the small and insignificant signs pasted around at some hard to see spots aren't really working. Maybe we really need a more proactive campaign to encourage people to do so.

Honestly, I don't care if people stands on the left or the right side, what I really hate are those whole stand RIGHT IN THE CENTRE with hands on BOTH handrails. Sometimes, when I am in a hurry and encounter these people, I will evenly nicely ask them, "Excuse me." But what really turns me off is that on most occasion, these people will actually turn around and give you that annoyed look like all the bad things in the world can be blamed on you.
    ohh... when i'm in a hurry and if this happens.... that person will get his fair share of my piece of mind....

I heard from my Taiwanese friends that when the Taipei MRT started service, they had staff to stand at the escalator to remind the commuters to stand on the right. I guess after a while it becomes a habit. I think over here, the small and insignificant signs pasted around at some hard to see spots aren't really working. Maybe we really need a more proactive campaign to encourage people to do so.
    we have campaigns for my years... does it work... i guess not... no wonder a politician in Taiwan says that we are from farmers breed ....
    see my portfolio, for your comments.

Yeah I love the Taipei folks too. They're easy to talk to, a pleasure to work with, and are generally polite.

Here in SG, I remember riding in a packed bus when a pregnant lady came aboard. Funny I noticed everyone around her who had a seat started looking away. I think the driver noticed too, so he stopped the bus and scolded those who were sitting in the disabled seats. Incredibly, despite the scolding, not one of them offered his seat! Finally the driver picked out an individual and ordered him to stand. The man just stood up without even looking at the pregnant lady and that was it. No apologies, nothing. A bus full of jerks.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/images/cs/smilies/ne_nau.gif

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPoP View Post
    I was very impressed by how the taipei people conduct themselves while taking the taipei MRT. Everybody stand to the right side of the escalator even during peak hours, allowing those who want to walk taking the left side. Everybody queue up for the train and when the door opens nobody rush to enter. Those who were not in the queue will join from behind. This is very orderly even during peak hours.

I guess this is what Singaporeans should learn.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD View Post
    very simple: start fining those who don't abide by the escalator rule. You will see a tremendous difference after that... Singaporeans are the most kia see type.. anything that break their wallets, they will learn the rules fast

One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    dun give up seat for elders and pregnant ladies nvm. but i f***ing f***ing f***ing hate those who rush into the train the moment the door opens. cant they just wait for passengers to alight first???
    yeah sg ppls always rush into the mrt without letting ppls to go out 1st. hate it

Quote Originally Posted by Xing View Post
    we have campaigns for my years... does it work... i guess not... no wonder a politician in Taiwan says that we are from farmers breed ....
    Campaigns will work if they are properly done. Not like some of the half-hearted efforts that has doomed so many of our campaigns.

Btw, I might be wrong but have anyone noticed? Why do they play that "Please give way to alighting passengers." message on the train instead of at the station platform? I mean, the people that should be giving way are on the platform right?

Campaigns will work if they are properly done. Not like some of the half-hearted efforts that has doomed so many of our campaigns.

Btw, I might be wrong but have anyone noticed? Why do they play that "Please give way to alighting passengers." message on the train instead of at the station platform? I mean, the people that should be giving way are on the platform right?
    I think implenting a fine works better. But i wonder how they gonna do that.
    Voice messages obviously don't work. And you know, they love spending money on campaigns that don't really work....they spend for the sake of spending, so can prove
    their budget is met.

Better campaigns like hiring more people to actually stand guard to chatise errant passengers during peak hours. But do they actually wanna spend this kind of money?
    I doubt so.....if they did, they probably complain profits gone, and the campaign scrapped quietly after a while.

One-North Explorers

Arrow Re: Taipei MRT

It is a vicious cycle. The pregnant ladies and ladies with kids are also the ones who pretend to fall asleep during their younger days.

It's quite rare to see young ladies giving up their sit in the MRT or bus for the elderly, pregnant lady and family with kids.

If u guys had noticed (I'm not sure how many here take public transport daily since it seems most here own cars), the 'Keep Left' campaign is slowly taking shape.

Still remembered when the MRT first opened at my estate in the late 80s, everyone was all standing haphazardly, some left, some right. In fact the situation seem to persist well until like 3 or 4 yrs ago the Keep Left thing started. Slowly but surely things changed. Although I still encounter things where couples hog the left & right side, people who do not know their right from left (esp the elderly, the seemingly fit ones. Not those old, frail, bent over elderlies), Chinese, Indians, Malays (I rarely see Caucasians take MRT), whatever, a loud shout from behind, "HELLO?! EXCUSE ME!!" would usually do the trick.

For those who take the MRT and encounter such people, do the above. Behaviour shaping of this kind works very well, especially if it embarass them to a certain extent. Do it to them once, twice, 3 times and they'll stay left and KEEP LEFT lest they get embarassed again. Nobody likes to be embarassed in public or earn the stares from strangers like as if he's some sort of alien.

Through social cohesiveness and alienation, only then, such campaigns will work.

Do it for those 大伯公 who seem to think they are very thin, park themselves in front of crowded train doors and simply turn sideways when the train reaches a stop and they REFUSE TO STAND OUT AND GIVE WAY.

Everyone, lets unite against such ugly behaviour!!!
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    It is a vicious cycle. The pregnant ladies and ladies with kids are also the ones who pretend to fall asleep during their younger days.

It's quite rare to see young ladies giving up their sit in the MRT or bus for the elderly, pregnant lady and family with kids.
    true true... it's a vicious cycle, young ladies dont give up their seats easily now, also the first to jump into emptied seat in less than a second. kids sleeping across three seats... etc...

the society is becoming more & more individualistic, materialistic.... we have lost those kampung spirit...
    see my portfolio, for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    yeah sg ppls always rush into the mrt without letting ppls to go out 1st. hate it
    think the boarding people afraid doors will close mah

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post

I see more ladies giving up their seat. in fact i had never seen any young guys do that, only the ladies or guys above 30's. The worst is young couple who hogs the seat and rubbing each other in front of the elderly or pregnant ladies. Should I shoot their photos? SMRT should put a notice that photographer are allowed to shoot and post photos of ppl who hogs these seats.

To be fair, SMRT also play a part in the sudden rush thing though. I myself experienced the door shut premature before everyone get in....also 99% of the time the train announced the "Train door closing" message even before all passenger alight, so that cause enxiety to the already very stressful patrons

Unlike what I saw in Japan(JR) or even US, because their train are manual operated, the train operator will make sure everyone board and alight safely before they will close the door......When I was in NY, the black lady even better....she saw me rushing with backpacks and luggage and from a far she already shouted "don't worry honey, take your time, the train will not go without u" with a grint...that obviously helps in relaxing us a bit

i have to add an item to my hate list. I hate kids who openly blast their music off their handphones in the trains!!!!! It's damn irritating la, i mean i don't mind people having conversations and such, but blasting music?!?!?! That's so inconsiderate!

It is called survival of the fittest. The winner gets a seat, the loser stands all the way till home. Just look at Raffles Place MRT on the North East Line. During Peak hour, the train from Boon Lay will stop and masses of commuters will run out and surge towards the plaform right opposite and position themselves outside the doors, when the train comes, it is a mad rush for a seat. It happens everyday for your info. It has become a daily routine.

To help in the building up of the national spirt of fighting for survival. SMRT has graciously introduced new trains with even less seating capacity instead of increasing train frequency. Hence now there is less seats and still the same number of commuters. Result? More training in how to fight for your seat.

Getting off the train during peak hours is like playing rugby - the scrum. Feel no shame. Push your way out.

Oh btw, when offering seats to pregnant ladies, do confirm that they are really pregnant and not larger than usual. Made the mistake once.

Quote Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy View Post
    Don't get me started on how much i hate taking train in Singapore. I always believe those who should take a seat are in the following order : Elderly/Kids/Pregnant/Disabled people, followed by women, then if there's space left, then the guys fill it up. I can't stand people not giving up their seats for pregnant ladies and the elder - I have seen many of such cases. I take the train everyday from City Hall back to the east(haven't took a seat in the train since god knows when, always travelling during peak hours), when the orchard train comes along, you see masses of human suddenly choking up the entrance to the trains. This leads to passengers being delayed when they are trying to alight. Sometimes i really wish Singaporeans can just inherit that little bit of social grace from other countries.

Sometimes you just wonder would it be better off owning a car...
    On the point of 'giving seats' up, I felt I had to quote the above...

If there are 4 people standing in front of u and its obvious that nobody is going to give up their seats:
    Person A: Old, frail looking, weak old man who looks like he's gonna die of a heart attack immediately shld the train jerk a little.

Person B: A very, very pregnant lady. Probably in her final trimester. Where u've got the feeling if the train jerks or someone bumps into her, her baby would simply just fall out straight between her legs or she'll instantly miscarry.

Person C: A strong looking young man who looks like he's in an extremely bad rut of late. Struggling with a clutch with a broken left hand in cast and a broken right leg in cast, sweating profusely due to the hot weather AND perhaps due to the fact that selfish buggers hogged the escalator and he'd decided to take the stairs instead.

Person D: A mother of 2. Struggling to contain her 2 kids, her necessities, her handbag AND her shopping. One with her left hand and the other sleeping peacefully in her arms and given the screaming, whining volume u see with the one the Mama is trying to control, u'd expect an Earth Shattering scream shld the one sleeping is disturbed from his sweet slumber.

ASSUMING U HAVE 1 CHANCE, 1 SEAT, NOBODY'S BULGING AND THE KIDS WON'T RUSH FORWARD TO GRAB THE SEAT. WHO WOULD U GIVE UR SEAT UP TO?

Some junk food for thought after a sleepy lunch. Hehehe....

P/S: If everyone ended up with Private Transports, don't complain about traffic jams and the government raising taxes.
    Last edited by jsbn; 21st December 2006 at 01:26 PM.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I see more ladies giving up their seat. in fact i had never seen any young guys do that, only the ladies or guys above 30's. The worst is young couple who hogs the seat and rubbing each other in front of the elderly or pregnant ladies. Should I shoot their photos? SMRT should put a notice that photographer are allowed to shoot and post photos of ppl who hogs these seats.
    YOU WILL LIKE THIS:
    http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/Gallery15.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jesmun18 View Post
    excellent

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    On the point of 'giving seats' up, I felt I had to quote the above...

If there are 4 people standing in front of u and its obvious that nobody is going to give up their seats:
    Person A: Old, frail looking, weak old man who looks like he's gonna die of a heart attack immediately shld the train jerk a little.

Person B: A very, very pregnant lady. Probably in her final trimester. Where u've got the feeling if the train jerks or someone bumps into her, her baby would simply just fall out straight between her legs or she'll instantly miscarry.

Person C: A strong looking young man who looks like he's in an extremely bad rut of late. Struggling with a clutch with a broken left hand in cast and a broken right leg in cast, sweating profusely due to the hot weather AND perhaps due to the fact that selfish buggers hogged the escalator and he'd decided to take the stairs instead.

Person D: A mother of 2. Struggling to contain her 2 kids, her necessities, her handbag AND her shopping. One with her left hand and the other sleeping peacefully in her arms and given the screaming, whining volume u see with the one the Mama is trying to control, u'd expect an Earth Shattering scream shld the one sleeping is disturbed from his sweet slumber.

ASSUMING U HAVE 1 CHANCE, 1 SEAT, NOBODY'S BULGING AND THE KIDS WON'T RUSH FORWARD TO GRAB THE SEAT. WHO WOULD U GIVE UR SEAT UP TO?

Some junk food for thought after a sleepy lunch. Hehehe....

P/S: If everyone ended up with Private Transports, don't complain about traffic jams and the government raising taxes.
    A.

you can't give birth to an old man. A life is a life, you can't say a baby is more important as he/she has a life ahead. One must not ever forget the old when there's new. I rather prevent the old man from dying than a preggie having a miscarriage.

I guess it's more of a personal moral decision and principles. heh
    One-North Explorers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast