Thread: Why is there a reflection?

Default Why is there a reflection?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me why there is a reflection of the street light in my photos?

Default Re: Why is there a reflection?

Did you have a filter on at the time? Most likely caused by internal reflections.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Did you have a filter on at the time? Most likely caused by internal reflections.
    Yes i have the UV filter on....should i take it off?

For night photography you dont really need the UV filter on. In most cases it just creates more problems like the one you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    For night photography you dont really need the UV filter on. In most cases it just creates more problems like the one you posted.
    ic...thanks for the advise....

my next question is....what filter should i put on to protect my lens?

For kit lenses normally I dont bother with protection as the filters can be worth 1/3 the lens at times. Usualy the better multi coated filters will avoide this internal reflection problms but you pay more for them. I guess 55mm filters shoul be pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolldrum View Post
    ic...thanks for the advise....

my next question is....what filter should i put on to protect my lens?
    even for B+W filters, sometimes i do get this type of problems (flare) as well. depending on the lens, angle, and etc...

but like Raptor say, a better filter will solve it, so getting either a Nikon NC (no color cast) for digital is good. or B+W UV. price isn't cheap. imagine i bought a 50mm, i put a B+W, most say i siao... a 100+ lens, with a 50+ filter... hehe...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Perhaps the answer to the lens flare problem is the very reason the question is posted in the Digital Darkroom forum: PS it away! So maybe the trick is to ensure that the flare happens in some dark area so that it is more easily removed digitally

Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Perhaps the answer to the lens flare problem is the very reason the question is posted in the Digital Darkroom forum: PS it away! So maybe the trick is to ensure that the flare happens in some dark area so that it is more easily removed digitally
    Thanks for the tip....

for a moment there, i though my lens had problem and didn't know which forum to post this question.....

this is a lens flare, which is due to strong light source casting directly onto the lens surface with some internal reflections. as mentioned by others, multi-coated filters help to decrease flare. some also use lens hoods usually in strong daylight.

however, what u can also do is to change your angle and framing slightly to see if it occurs again in the next picture.

it can be used to your advantage to deliberately introduced that.

my flare even retain the outlines of the trees, so i prefer it to be present rather than to avoid it.