Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon IXUS 850i or Nikon D40

Default Re: Canon IXUS 850i or Nikon D40

hmmm get a gd pns cam first .... i started wif a pns but later wanted more control in poor lighting areas ... n i like 2 take senery shots too .... so i later upgraded 2 dslr hehe

anyway, another way is ..... get both hehe , 4 mi is ....gf take pns & i take dslr. c whats the occasion den decide wat 2 bring
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    serious... what type of photos you like to take? $$ is one thing... commitment level and the learning curve is steeper for DSLR... like many claimed... DSLR is not take, aim, squeeze trigger and VOILA.... get SHARP SHARP award winning shots... if you want trouble free experience, maybe try either ixus or prosumer... you sound like one well-to-do fellow as $$ seems not a issue to you...

But if you really got the sharp interest, then go ahead.. DSLR can be great fun as many here will agree with me.. and when you do.... please announced proudly so we can all "WELCOME YOU TO THE DARK SIDE" hahaha
    PnS also not take, aim, squeeze trigger and VOILA.... get SHARP SHARP award winning shots. Skills like composition, lighting, visual attractiveness, subject etc also comes into play.

Both are just camera equipment, just different in terms of technology, usage and control.

To TS, like the others say, the 2 are different cameras and you cannot really compare. both have their advantage and disadvantage. You have gotto know what are your needs, budget and match them accordingly.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    PnS also not take, aim, squeeze trigger and VOILA.... get SHARP SHARP award winning shots. Skills like composition, lighting, visual attractiveness, subject etc also comes into play.

Both are just camera equipment, just different in terms of technology, usage and control.

To TS, like the others say, the 2 are different cameras and you cannot really compare. both have their advantage and disadvantage. You have gotto know what are your needs, budget and match them accordingly.
    what I trying to address is what many out there have this mindset... DSLR = pro = just shoot = nice photo.. But DSLR is actually less forgiving than p&s..

Blog Entries

if you understand your camera well a P&S can take nice pictures too

see link for sample shots from an older IXUS 800 IS
    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=210624

a P&S is small and light, easy to bring around
    a DSLR is for more serious shooting

BTW I have both

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    Get the Fuji F31 lah... confirm beat ixus hands down anytime.
    saw a series of photo and report for Fuji F30/F31 and they look great..

now ixus850i vs Fuji 31 or D40....more confuse

get a second hard nikon D50, D70 or D70s, which goes anything between $700-1200 roughly. play with it, learn the control, experience the lens. i'm not for D40 becos u can't play with the cheap and good AF D 50mm f/1.8 lens with auto-focusing.

dun spend too much into your 1st DSLR. if you dun like the weight of the DSLR, you can always turn back into a newer compact next time and sell off your budgetly bought DSLR. even if you like your DSLR, you can still buy a compact next time as a backup.

the point is - at least you have known a DSLR and what you can do with it. if not, you will forever wonder if you should have taken that step.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12