Thread: TTL Flash (100% Newbie Needs Help)

Default TTL Flash (100% Newbie Needs Help)

Hi all, did a search on TTl and the flash guns in CS. was puzzled with some condiction in what was posted.

1.) some say that the TTL function would give a initial flash first bef a actual flash. is this true? then like some of us here who covers events, usually when our objects see the first flash they would start to move off... anyway to not had the initial flash?

2.) can the TTL function be used if i am using it as slave?

tks for the advices

Default Re: TTL Flash (100% Newbie Needs Help)

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    Hi all, did a search on TTl and the flash guns in CS. was puzzled with some condiction in what was posted.

1.) some say that the TTL function would give a initial flash first bef a actual flash. is this true? then like some of us here who covers events, usually when our objects see the first flash they would start to move off... anyway to not had the initial flash?

tks for the advices
    1.) Yes, true. The interval between the 2 flashes is very short. People can hardly notice. If you dont want the pre-flash, use other mode than TTL.
    2.) Yes, possible with certain flashes.

tks for the advices
    1) It called preflash. The object will not have enough time to move when they see the preflash. They only can blink or smile . It is less than half second. If you don't want preflash, you must use other mode like A or AA flash mode.

2) What configuration of slave do you refer? It is better you illustrate it more for correct answer. Something like if you want use your flash off camera and still want it TTL mode (iTTL for Nikon, eTTL for Canon).

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    1) It called preflash. The object will not have enough time to move when they see the preflash. They only can blink or smile . It is less than half second. If you don't want preflash, you must use other mode like A or AA flash mode.

2) What configuration of slave do you refer? It is better you illustrate it more for correct answer. Something like if you want use your flash off camera and still want it TTL mode (iTTL for Nikon, eTTL for Canon).

Regards,
    Arto.
    Tks guy, is the preflash mention here same as those pre-flash in cam which prevents red-eye??? i usually use slow-syn with red eye prevention and the object would more or less start to move

Tks guy, is the preflash mention here same as those pre-flash in cam which prevents red-eye??? i usually use slow-syn with red eye prevention and the object would more or less start to move
    Different. It is looks alike, but it is different function. Preflash is required by iTTL or eTTL to calculating flash power. If you want it without preflash, you need to use A/AA flash mode.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Different. It is looks alike, but it is different function. Preflash is required by iTTL or eTTL to calculating flash power. If you want it without preflash, you need to use A/AA flash mode.

Regards,
    Arto.
    wat is A/AA mode? i planning to upgrade my flash before mid-jan

applies to Nikon flashes mainly. Auto Aperture.. I never knew how to use it.. and my flash is forever set in TTL. That's all that I need.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

wat is A/AA mode? i planning to upgrade my flash before mid-jan
    Auto flash mode and Auto Aperture flash mode. Both mode need flash that capable to do that. For example, SB800 can do A/AA, but SB600 can not do A/AA. Mostly old flash with sensor on flash can do Auto mode. Flash will emit flash and cut its flash duration if the sensor sense the illumination is enough for the scene. You need to set the setting correctly on both flash and camera (in case flash and camera is not compatible).

Regards,
    Arto.