Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

  1. #1
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Exclamation Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    Hello,

    I have just bought a new Sony H5, is that a DSLR? I was told that it is call a Prosumer camera. May I know what is the diff?

    Anyone has it? How do you find the camera?

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Hello,

    I have just bought a new Sony H5, is that a DSLR? I was told that it is call a Prosumer camera. May I know what is the diff?

    Anyone has it? How do you find the camera?
    A SLR is a Single Lens Reflex camera. And it should be able to use other lenses on it (of the same mount)

    A prosumer is a camera in between a PnS and SLR.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    H5 is more of a prosumer class digital camera, but not SLR. You may read on this article from CNET:
    Why a digital SLR
    and check on the words you don't understand at DPReview Glossary

    YOu probably can find more Sony H5 under Sony forum.
    Last edited by zcf; 19th December 2006 at 05:35 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  4. #4
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    So for starter should I get a Prosumer or a DSLR?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    So for starter should I get a Prosumer or a DSLR?
    Since you have a prosumer already, might as well make full use of it, until you find that you have out grow your prosumer, then you may choose to upgrade to DSLR. But a lot of photographers do keep both consumer/prosumer camera and DSLR for flexibility.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  6. #6

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    i gotten my H5 4 months ago... to be frank it helps me alot on my journey to discover photography... it is handy... almost idiot proof... and comes with a whopping 3.0" LCD... this is particularly important for you to review photo on the spot and do necessary setting... learn to handle your H5.. but once you get the hang of it.. soon you will be like me.. HUNGRY FOR MORE... haha

  7. #7

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    eh....if i am not mistaken some of the "prosumers" are actually SLRs.....u dun need to hav to be able to change lenses on it....

    as its name suggests...anything with the single lens reflex system is an slr....


    cheers

  8. #8

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    eh....if i am not mistaken some of the "prosumers" are actually SLRs.....u dun need to hav to be able to change lenses on it....

    as its name suggests...anything with the single lens reflex system is an slr....

    cheers
    Naw, I don't think that's what he means; the idea is that a DSLR is in an entirely different class from prosumers and P&S.

    If you ask me, the main difference is indeed, inability to change lenses and also, the fact that sensor size in prosumer/P&S is smaller than DSLR - meaning usually inferior noise performance. For prosumer, the amount of manual control tends to be almost there for basic levels of control at least. So it is a good way of introduction into the world of photography if you want to eventually get in deeper. And after all, prosumer is a lot more convenient in the sense that you don't have to lug a few lenses around on photoshoots, and worry about cleaning and all that. But then again, any P&S with manual control (ie. maybe IXUS 800 IS) would also provide that. Without the long zoom, though.

    But anyways, just stick with the prosumer for now, unless you're absolutely sure you really want to commit to DSLR lor! Hope I helped with the queries - do some reading up and you can find out more!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Naw, I don't think that's what he means; the idea is that a DSLR is in an entirely different class from prosumers and P&S.

    If you ask me, the main difference is indeed, inability to change lenses and also, the fact that sensor size in prosumer/P&S is smaller than DSLR - meaning usually inferior noise performance. For prosumer, the amount of manual control tends to be almost there for basic levels of control at least. So it is a good way of introduction into the world of photography if you want to eventually get in deeper. And after all, prosumer is a lot more convenient in the sense that you don't have to lug a few lenses around on photoshoots, and worry about cleaning and all that. But then again, any P&S with manual control (ie. maybe IXUS 800 IS) would also provide that. Without the long zoom, though.

    But anyways, just stick with the prosumer for now, unless you're absolutely sure you really want to commit to DSLR lor! Hope I helped with the queries - do some reading up and you can find out more!
    wrong to say that as well... the Sony R1 has a sensor size just like other normal Nikon dSLR sensor(APS-C)

    I agree with Witness, SLR (Single-Lens-reflex) simply mean this. Its wrong to generalize that camera that can change lens are SLR... personally i don consider a rangefinder as SLR.

  10. #10
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    Hi Guys,

    Can someone explain what they mean by 35mm lens and how does it affect my photo shooting?

    Thanks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

    I dont know what you are trying to ask but here goes,

    35mm is just the focal length of the lens. Longer focal lengths give narrower FOV's and less DOF while shorter lenses give a wider perspective and a much bigger DOF.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •