Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    if u were being "stabbed" at work....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    If I were forbidden to go there because of the access control list in my camp's computer, then no, I can't help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    i will as long as i am not making thing worse

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    easy for people to say they will help and yada yada.. when you actually see the knife dripping with blood I don't think many people will have the courage to go up and stop him.

    all the horse behind canon in the papers.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  6. #6

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    easy for people to say they will help and yada yada.. when you actually see the knife dripping with blood I don't think many people will have the courage to go up and stop him.

    all the horse behind canon in the papers.
    I'm always behind a Canon
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    hmmm ... for mi , i will oni help if reallie need 2 n if no 1 help.

    mi not those active ppl, but i will help. hmmm should be lah hehe
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

  8. #8

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    With our limited SAF training, if I think I can disarm and disable the attacker quickly, I will. That said, in that kind of situation, if we "do not know head or tail" then which one to help?

    Scarly, we disable the "attacker" only to realise that he was the victim defending himself in a two-way fight. You need at least TWO persons to keep those TWO persons away from each other.

    It would be easy in the video to "see" who the victim, so I guess that blue-shirt old man is right in knocking the "weapon" off first. The surprise is how the attacker "relaxed" and sat down. If he was determined, it would have turned ugly.

    When everything's over, still must go police station to explain your role, that is, if you did not "injure" either of the parties. Otherwise, more time, and still must explain to wife and parent why we risk our lives. And return to the mockery of our colleague at the office!

    Heroes, we do not need heroes!
    Last edited by Caspere; 19th December 2006 at 10:56 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    also, the papers said nobody helped.. but there were 2 uncles who was trying to talk him out of it and waving the helmet trying to stop the guy. that's some effort already.. that guy was like armed with a knife man! How many is trained to remove the knife from him safely?

    I really doubt the accuracy of our local papers..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    With our limited SAF training, if I think I can disarm and disable the attacker quickly, I will. That said, in that kind of situation, if we "do not know head or tail" then which one to help?

    Scarly, we disable the "attacker" only to realise that he was the victim defending himself in a two-way fight. You need at least TWO persons to keep those TWO persons away from each other.

    It would be easy in the video to "see" who the victim, so I guess that blue-shirt old man is right in knocking the "weapon" off first. The surprise is how the attacker "relaxed" and sat down. If he was determined, it would have turned ugly.

    When everything's over, still must go police station to explain your role, that is, if you did not "injure" either of the parties. Otherwise, more time, and still must explain to wife and parent why we risk our lives. And return to the mockery of our colleague at the office!

    Heroes, we do not need heroes!
    yes.. sg has a anti-heroism culture inculcated since young.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  11. #11
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    easy for people to say they will help and yada yada.. when you actually see the knife dripping with blood I don't think many people will have the courage to go up and stop him.

    all the horse behind canon in the papers.

    Agreed, that's life.
    Recently aft ppl watched the youtube video, they gasped "that's very brave" and life goes on.

    If the hero died, ppl gasped "that's tragic" and life moves on

    Let 999 take care of it and life still moves on
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  12. #12
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    also, the papers said nobody helped.. but there were 2 uncles who was trying to talk him out of it and waving the helmet trying to stop the guy. that's some effort already.. that guy was like armed with a knife man! How many is trained to remove the knife from him safely?

    I really doubt the accuracy of our local papers..
    It has been proven during May
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    It has been proven during May
    i love 146th
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    if its a knife, maybe I may help, but if the man is holding a GUN, I better not dare help the person

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    we should not give arriving paramedics double d trouble if any of us get seriously injured.

    read from a martial arts mag tt such confrontation get more dangerous if d armed (knife / gun / pole?) assailant is not subdued under a minute.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    i will rush in to help when the attacker is not looking....then he really be sorry. haaa
    RIDER KICK!! lol
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    944

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    also, the papers said nobody helped.. but there were 2 uncles who was trying to talk him out of it and waving the helmet trying to stop the guy. that's some effort already.. that guy was like armed with a knife man! How many is trained to remove the knife from him safely?

    I really doubt the accuracy of our local papers..
    Have they been really accurate? Sometimes, I doubt what the papers publish. Really. Even the Straits Times.
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

  18. #18

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    I wouldn't in the situation stated. Why?

    Firstly I am not trained to disarm a knife wielding guy.
    Secondly it is not my problem so why should I step in physically knowing there is a high risk I will get hurt or even killed?
    Finally who will pity you when you get badly injured and hospitalised? Who is going to look after my family? Will the govt, the public or the victim spend a single cent to help me? No they won't. So why should I put my life on the line for something that gains no returns?

    What I will do is I will be smart, I will shout "The Police is coming" and at the same time call the police. Let those paid to handle it handle it. and not act hero.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    I wouldn't in the situation stated. Why?

    Firstly I am not trained to disarm a knife wielding guy.
    Secondly it is not my problem so why should I step in physically knowing there is a high risk I will get hurt or even killed?
    Finally who will pity you when you get badly injured and hospitalized? Who is going to look after my family? Will the govt, the public or the victim spend a single cent to help me? No they won't. So why should I put my life on the line for something that gains no returns?

    What I will do is I will be smart, I will shout "The Police is coming" and at the same time call the police. Let those paid to handle it handle it. and not act hero.
    Funny how American children are taught from young, to rise to the occasion, to be the one to do it when nobody would, to be the exception.... Notice all those American TV and movies??

    Here we are teaching our children the opposite. And I think we do a great job, from the above responses.

    What is right? What if right is wrong? Or being wrong is right?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southen Sea
    Posts
    1,467

    Default Re: Would you risk your life to save a stranger?

    In fact there is a man did. The one with the helmet. respect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •