Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise needed

Default Re: Advise needed

Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    kit lenses are lenses that come bundled with the camera body.... an off camera flash would be a useful thing to have to "light up" yours shots..

the built in camera flash is normally not powerful enough and since u cant bounce it...it wun produce as pleasing an effect as an off camera one i suppose..

cheers..
    Also the guide number will be lower (shorter range) Hotshoe flashes are able to recycle faster and won't fight for power on the camera.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hmm... so are you guys trying to say that Nikon's kit lens is better than Canons?

And this may sound stupid, but what is the specs of the kit lens? Is there a std spec? Or depends on manufacturer/model?

Cheers,
    Clement

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Also the guide number will be lower (shorter range) Hotshoe flashes are able to recycle faster and won't fight for power on the camera.
    Uhmmm..., what's that mean? I believe using build-in flash will emptied camera's battery faster than using external flash.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by syncer View Post
    Hmm... so are you guys trying to say that Nikon's kit lens is better than Canons?

And this may sound stupid, but what is the specs of the kit lens? Is there a std spec? Or depends on manufacturer/model?

Cheers,
    Clement
    Nikon kit lens (lens bundled with camera body):
    - Good lens: D100, D70, D70s ==> 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G AFS IF-ED DX lens.
    - Between good lens and like average other brand kit lens: D80 ==> 18-135 f/3.5-5.6G AFS IF-ED DX lens.
    - Like average other brand kit lens: D40, D50 ==> 18-55mm f/4-5.6G ED AFS DX lens.

Please noted that kit lens come with olympus e series dslr is also above average.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    I think considering the price, someone will change his/her hobby . Helicopter RC looks good . Around $200-300 can fly already with basic helicopter...

Regards,
    Arto.
    $200 ~ $300 should be able to get a 4 servos RC Heli. But most will probably give it up before they master how to hover

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    $200 ~ $300 should be able to get a 4 servos RC Heli. But most will probably give it up before they master how to hover
    No, $200-300 only can get fixed pitch RC helicopter complete with "not so good" transmitter. Those 4 servos RC is collective pitch which is around $300 without transmitter.

I agree with give up before mastering to hover . But, you can try on FMS simulator first (like I do).

Regards,
    Arto.

since you humbly mentioned your skill level at 0.5-1 / 10 maybe you should really got for 2nd hand DSLR like 350D for canon which you mentioned you are more inclined toward. Since you said that you like nature / animal. I guess macro is one of the shots you enjoy taking. Then maybe beside your 18-55mm Kit lens, you can get the Sigma 70-300mm macro (Like what I have) then get a decent tripod extra batt, memory card, dry cabinet, camera bag... a flash gun, upgrade your pc to bigger hdd disk space...

2nd hand 350D (kit) + Sigma 70-300mm + Tripod + extra batt + CF + dry cabinet + bag + flash + HDD

$900 + $400 + $150 + $90 + $150 + $150 + $100 + $400 + $100 (All price here est)

Total around $2440 (est)

Unless you are really ready... it is really a long investment... the above is what I have... but still really basic stuff... then you will suffer the BBB virus....like myself.. aiming for new stuff again... like prime lens... L lens.... better tripod, a monopod... bigger cabinet... another smaller bag, bigger memory card and more and more HDD space

Uhmmm..., what's that mean? I believe using build-in flash will emptied camera's battery faster than using external flash.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Thanks for the explaination.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

hmm i would recommend ,..... 2nd hand canon 350d.... can get 1 for about $950+\- and will come with most assesorries.... look for one which includes a battery grip ....

but think most will not come with , flash , tripod ,dri cabi & cleaning kit
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

No, $200-300 only can get fixed pitch RC helicopter complete with "not so good" transmitter. Those 4 servos RC is collective pitch which is around $300 without transmitter.

I agree with give up before mastering to hover . But, you can try on FMS simulator first (like I do).

Regards,
    Arto.
    My t-rex cost 1k everything.
    And it still take a lot of skill to hover, even with gyro...
    Long way more to inverted flight.....

Yah.. a 2nd hand 350D or 300D with kit lens will do.

Hey friends, really thank you for all the constructive replies.

Is a dry cabinet really necessary? I'm planning to keep it in my store room... cannot make it?

Also, to take marco photos, a tripod is a must? And what about flash light? Necessary?

I was thinking to just get a DSLR (kit) first, and slowly explore the wonders of DSLR, and from there slowly buy more and more stuffs.

BTW, what's BBB virus??

Is a dry cabinet really necessary? I'm planning to keep it in my store room... cannot make it?

Also, to take marco photos, a tripod is a must? And what about flash light? Necessary?

I was thinking to just get a DSLR (kit) first, and slowly explore the wonders of DSLR, and from there slowly buy more and more stuffs.

BTW, what's BBB virus??

store room? store room got humid also bro... and humid best fren is fungus... and fungus not our cam best fren so I suggest bite the bullet and get a dry cabinet especially you can sleep better at nite like me

Ohh... but the dry cabinet must be electricity powered? or simply place those gel like pebbles will do? haha.. sorry ar, am a total noob in this. Any website for me to read up?

Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    since you humbly mentioned your skill level at 0.5-1 / 10 maybe you should really got for 2nd hand DSLR like 350D for canon which you mentioned you are more inclined toward. Since you said that you like nature / animal. I guess macro is one of the shots you enjoy taking. Then maybe beside your 18-55mm Kit lens, you can get the Sigma 70-300mm macro (Like what I have) then get a decent tripod extra batt, memory card, dry cabinet, camera bag... a flash gun, upgrade your pc to bigger hdd disk space...

2nd hand 350D (kit) + Sigma 70-300mm + Tripod + extra batt + CF + dry cabinet + bag + flash + HDD

$900 + $400 + $150 + $90 + $150 + $150 + $100 + $400 + $100 (All price here est)

Total around $2440 (est)

Unless you are really ready... it is really a long investment... the above is what I have... but still really basic stuff... then you will suffer the BBB virus....like myself.. aiming for new stuff again... like prime lens... L lens.... better tripod, a monopod... bigger cabinet... another smaller bag, bigger memory card and more and more HDD space
    I kind of agree with jasongcp;

I just upgrading/converted to a dslr from a pns/proconsumer. I can tell you that I spent nearly 1.9K already doing the conversion. Here is a breakdown of what I spent:

- 350D Body + Kit Lens + 2 yrs HN warranty - $1.02K
    - Tamron 24-135 lens + 2 yrs warranty - $430
    - Canon 380ex Flash - $150
    - 2GB + 1 GB CF - $160
    - OEM *new* battery - $22
    - Camera Bags - $100
    - Remote Control - $20
    - Tripod - Free (managed to get a free one from a friend)
    - Eyecup - $20

Total damages : 1.92K

Best part is that only the camera bags, remote control, battery, tripod and eyecup are new.. the rest of the stuff are bought second handed...

Just be very careful about this investment, initially I only budget $1.5K and I exceed it within 2 weeks...

Bottom Line : Be very clear about this upgrading / conversion.... It really really cost a lot and to be frank, you have to be prepared for the kind of investment that you might make....

Think carefully before taking the plunge...

BTW, what's BBB virus??
    Yes, dry cab is necessary, unless you keep your photography gear in Air-cond room 24/7 like those in shop one.

Macro (not Marco, Marco is my friend's fish ) not necessary need tripod. A flash is more moveable than tripod. Especially when you take insect/butterfly/dragon fly macro.

BBB virus is Buy Buy Buy virus . It is like joking to remind you always to buy photography gears. How to immune from it? Content with what you have, practice with your equipment, buy only when you need it, do your homework before buy something, so will buy at good price and right gears.

Regards,
    Arto.

BBB virus... Hmm... guess it'll be TOUGH for me to be inmune to it. haha...

Anyways, thanks for all the advice gurus! Will do more read up before I plunge into this hobby..

Any good website to read up more on photography skills? And any website that provide the current mkt price of DSLRs?

Cheers,
    Clement

Hey, thanks for the lightning fast reply!

Frankly, i'm looking at getting a 2nd hand cam first, and slowly make my way into this hobby. But judging from how poison some gurus here gotten, I don't think i can do it slowly! Haha

Anyways, seriously, $$$ factor is top on my agenda now.

Can i ask, what is the amount you guys recommend i shd set aside to kick start this hobby?

And goldbird, how much would be the damage if i were to dive into the semi-pro zone?
    If $$$ is a factor. Get Pentax K10D now as it's the best bang for the buck now (will canon release a model to catch up soon ) and slowly find out what lens you need and buy NEW.
    Why? cost the 2nd hand market is not very big compare to Canon/Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash View Post
    If $$$ is a factor. Get Pentax K10D now as it's the best bang for the buck now (will canon release a model to catch up soon ) and slowly find out what lens you need and buy NEW.
    Why? cost the 2nd hand market is not very big compare to Canon/Nikon.
    Dude,

How much is a brand new Pentax K10D?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast