Thread: SB800 flash and 3rd party lens

Default SB800 flash and 3rd party lens

hello all,

i'm just wondering if it's possible for SB800 on TTL mode when using a 3rd party lens say a Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8, am using a D80 btw

i'm really new in flash photography

i understand that D lenses will provide distance to subject information to the camera..so i wonder if i were to use a 3rd party lens(not sure if it's D or not), does the Sb800 able to run in TTL mode? thanks so much man in advance!

Default Re: SB800 flash and 3rd party lens

Quote Originally Posted by duckalas View Post
    hello all,

i'm just wondering if it's possible for SB800 on TTL mode when using a 3rd party lens say a Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8, am using a D80 btw

i'm really new in flash photography

i understand that D lenses will provide distance to subject information to the camera..so i wonder if i were to use a 3rd party lens(not sure if it's D or not), does the Sb800 able to run in TTL mode? thanks so much man in advance!
    yes..

oh oh..thanks thanks explorer...so the camera/lens setup will be able to fully utilise the SB800 flash unit right?

thanks again!

whether or not u are able to fully utilise the flash is dependant on the body. If the flash is new and ur body is old, then u may not be able to use all functions.

its got nothing to do with the lens, 3rd party or nikon wise..

ahh icic...haha okay thanks all for enlightening...

because all along i thought that the flash needs the distance to be input frm a D lens before calculating the flash output and stuff. haha

okay then...

have a nice day!

thanks!

TTL does not need the distance information from ur lens.
    it fires a pre-flash (just before the actual flash of light) to calculate how much flash output is needed. it has nothing to do with lens.

if im wrong someone pls correct me
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    TTL does not need the distance information from ur lens.
    it fires a pre-flash (just before the actual flash of light) to calculate how much flash output is needed. it has nothing to do with lens.

if im wrong someone pls correct me
    Nope... that's iTTL or eTTL

TTL means thru the lens metering. The meter on the camera decides if the subject is brightly lit enough for the picture. The flash then works on it's own and fires accordingly (to it's settings). The camera decides then when there is sufficient light on the subject and closes the shutter.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Nope... that's iTTL or eTTL

TTL means thru the lens metering. The meter on the camera decides if the subject is brightly lit enough for the picture. The flash then works on it's own and fires accordingly (to it's settings). The camera decides then when there is sufficient light on the subject and closes the shutter.
    When you set shooting mode to Manual, and set shutter speed to 5s, using flash in iTTL mode doesn't close the shutter when there is sufficient light on the subject. The shutter will open for 5s.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    When you set shooting mode to Manual, and set shutter speed to 5s, using flash in iTTL mode doesn't close the shutter when there is sufficient light on the subject. The shutter will open for 5s.

Regards,
    Arto.
    I was talking more about A mode. Haven't tried much M modes with flash yet. After-all, you're fully controlling it, there's no chance for the camera to take over.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I was talking more about A mode. Haven't tried much M modes with flash yet. After-all, you're fully controlling it, there's no chance for the camera to take over.
    When you set to A mode, the shutter speed will determined by camera light meter according to Aperture setting. If the light meter say 5 seconds for sufficient illumination of the subject (or scene), it will open shutter leaf for 5 seconds. The flash power (flash duration) for iTTL mode determined by flash calculation via feedback from preflash. The flash does not instruct camera to close shutter.

In A, P, and scene mode, how long the shutter speed is determined before shutter open, not while shutter open.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 19th December 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Using on Tamron 90mm, Tamron 28-75mm, Nikon 50mm TTL can sync with camera. But not with Tokina 12-24mm. Is there a minimum mm that it can sync? Someone told me that minimum must be at least 24mm? Any answers for me?

Quote Originally Posted by yipdanny View Post
    Using on Tamron 90mm, Tamron 28-75mm, Nikon 50mm TTL can sync with camera. But not with Tokina 12-24mm. Is there a minimum mm that it can sync? Someone told me that minimum must be at least 24mm? Any answers for me?
    eh for 12-24 you will have to drop down the built-in angle diffuser(if the sync you talking about is focal length)

You mean flash coverage?

SB600/SB800 flash coverage is 24mm (35mm/film camera) without build-in diffuser (or diffuser dome on SB800).

But, you need to factor crop factor of DX sensor. So, 18mm lens have FoV of 27mm (in 35mm/film camera), which is covered by SB600/SB800 without diffuser.

As ExplorerZ said, you need to use build-in diffuser or dome diffuser (to make flash coverage to 14mm in 35mm/film camera) to use with 12-24mm lens (which is 18-36mm in 35/film camera).

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 19th December 2006 at 03:58 PM.

Can you eloborate what do you mean by "drop down the built-in angle diffuser"? It is the focal length I am refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    eh for 12-24 you will have to drop down the built-in angle diffuser(if the sync you talking about is focal length)

ic, thanks artosoft and zac08 for clarifying
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Can you eloborate what do you mean by "drop down the built-in angle diffuser"? It is the focal length I am refering to.
    theres a wide-angle diffuser on the very top of the flash head just look around you should be able to spot it. if you can't find it, go read up on the manual.

if you still can't find it! guess its time to look for a optician.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    ic, thanks artosoft and zac08 for clarifying
    Apologies if I have made any mistakes with the clarifications above.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site