Thread: Advantages of hammerhead against hot shoe mout flash

Default Advantages of hammerhead against hot shoe mout flash

Hi all,

could any pro n expert here give me some explaination/advantages, pros/cons regarding both flash. Thanks

Cheers

Default Re: Advantages of hammerhead against hot shoe mout flash

I've used a Metz 60CT4. big flash with high guide number, very useful when using bounce in high ceiling situations. Never had red eyed effects in all picts when I used this flash. I doubt the current ones does anyway.

The flash is eveready in an instant. batteries are long lasting even after a day of wedding shots.

But...
    - heavy
    - bulky

These my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by mrngbss View Post
    I've used a Metz 60CT4. big flash with high guide number, very useful when using bounce in high ceiling situations. Never had red eyed effects in all picts when I used this flash. I doubt the current ones does anyway.

The flash is eveready in an instant. batteries are long lasting even after a day of wedding shots.

But...
    - heavy
    - bulky

These my opinions.
    Hi, thanks.

Errr..., how about hammerhead only good for wedding or event coverage. Imagine you bring hammerhead to botanical garden... .

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by syazkal View Post
    Hi all,

could any pro n expert here give me some explaination/advantages, pros/cons regarding both flash. Thanks

Cheers
    hammerhead is powerful. that's about it for pros.
    Cons wise, it's heavy and bulky, battery is heavy, manual mode ( unless u get TTL module for it, only from metz i think).
    Apart from that, exposure wise, it's all about skill. Some say it gives better glow to the picture.

hotshoe is less powerful, but hey, with a 580ex( canon) i can fill a whole ball room at ISO400. It's light, comes with ttl and automatic aperture etc adjustment with zoom head. If u use an external batt pack, the refresh rate is very fast.

oh yeah, the hammerhead makes u look more pro to the non-pros.

get this heh. should be ard $1k + i think

With the hammer head flash, u could use it to hammer pple or defend ur self. Otherwise, as compared to the hotshoe flashes, i prefer the former's lighting performance.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    With the hammer head flash, u could use it to hammer pple or defend ur self. Otherwise, as compared to the hotshoe flashes, i prefer the former's lighting performance.
    I prefer use tripod to defend myself . But like someone else told me, even with big heavy ball head tripod, you can't win to those who bring ladder .

Regards,
    Arto.

Thanks for all the help.
    What about recycling time, will hammerhead + battery pack be faster than hot shoe mount ?

Quote Originally Posted by syazkal View Post
    Thanks for all the help.
    What about recycling time, will hammerhead + battery pack be faster than hot shoe mount ?
    generally yes, unless you use a battery pack with your hotshoe mount flash then there will not be must difference.