Thread: Orchid

Default Orchid

Hi all...this is a conversion of something i took from the International Garden Festival\\

C&C please

Default Re: Orchid

1. cluttered
    2. pixelized
    3. fake
    4. contrived
    5. why?
    Last edited by babykailan; 18th December 2006 at 11:33 PM.
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

a little more extreme can make this like firework

Well, i originally wanted edit the picture to look.....black & white but the orchid to be in color...then...i faced some CS2 problem...ie...donno how to do it...hehe...but the shot before edit looks something like this....

Quote Originally Posted by Rolldrum View Post
    Well, i originally wanted edit the picture to look.....black & white but the orchid to be in color...then...i faced some CS2 problem...ie...donno how to do it...hehe...but the shot before edit looks something like this....

Why do you want to convert it into a black and white? I feel the problem here is what you've included into your frame. The overal image is distracting as the tonality of the flowers is the same as that of the leaves on the right. Thus it would still be a distraction.
    You've already shot this image. Now is the problem of rectifying what you've done wrong through PP. I'd recommend you to look up some images of flowers and plantlife online to see how they've been shot and then readjust your picture. =)

You mean like this?

took me abt 7 mins to do...

Pardon the lousy job...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    You mean like this?

took me abt 7 mins to do...

Pardon the lousy job...
    ya man....how u do that ah?

i know i have to duplicate the layer....then mask it and convert one of them to b&w ....but somehow cannot do leh....

i know i have to duplicate the layer....then mask it and convert one of them to b&w ....but somehow cannot do leh....
    What has your over-sharpened first shot got to do with making it B&W??

Anyways, there are many ways to do it. duplicate layer, convert to B&W, then unmask the area you want to recover the flower. Play with the black and white paint brush to figure it out...
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

My method...

Create a new Adjustment layer (Hue/saturation)

Then I desaturate the whole layer. After which the picture should be in black and white.

Then using a paint brush, I just have to paint black colour over the areas which I want the prev layer to show thru. White to mask back.

Flatten the layers and viola.. done
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    My method...

Create a new Adjustment layer (Hue/saturation)

Then I desaturate the whole layer. After which the picture should be in black and white.

Then using a paint brush, I just have to paint black colour over the areas which I want the prev layer to show thru. White to mask back.

Flatten the layers and viola.. done
    Yeap... again there are quite a few ways to convert color to B&W. I know of 3 ways already. So again... experiment and see which suits you best.

here's something open for discussion.

other than graphic artwork purposes, using photoshop to convert a picture into a painting is something that i will avoid. supporters of digital darkroom may think that since it's in the software, why not use it? my reason is simple, because a painting look alike is not a painting. it doesn't feel like one when you touch one, doesn't smell like one, and doesn't reflect light like a real painting does. to pass off a digitally post processed picture as a painting is reducing the idea of painting into a pure visual object lacking the touches of the painter.

as for the selectively coloured version, the picture does not contain the condition to warrant the processing. the selectively coloured portions do not stand out as a strong enough subject to work against a monotone environment.

At least if you give a title be accurate.
    That is not an orchid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    At least if you give a title be accurate.
    That is not an orchid.
    LOL good point!