Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    hi zoossh... the ATI 9600 pro shd have enuf juice to drive ur monitor at max resoloution without too much stress, it has 256mb onboard ram n offers DVI connectivity. currently retailing for ard $110

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    hi zoossh... the ATI 9600 pro shd have enuf juice to drive ur monitor at max resoloution without too much stress, it has 256mb onboard ram n offers DVI connectivity. currently retailing for ard $110
    ya... its a good card, if pay abit more, get a 9800 also can.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #23
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    sounds complicated. I Didnt check the specs though for onboard VGA

    as Hobbesyeo mentioned no onboard graphics.

    If u need i can lend u the graphics card to test ur computer. I got both PCI-e and

    AGP. PM me if u want
    thanks static. but transport wise is very troublesome and graphic card not too expensive, so maybe be worthwhile.

    originally thinking of getting $58-62 AGP 128MB cards or even $100-120 AGP 256MB cards. my mobo is about 1.5yrs old, so i guess i would not upgrade so fast to PCI-E.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    i have hercules 9000 too, it's good enough for 20". i find the fan dies off very fast


    try taking it out and clean the contacts

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    hi zoossh... if ur intending to just do image post processing only, all u need is a mid range card. gettin a low end card will just make ur card die faster cos when ur resolution is high it will only make ur card work harder to churn out the graphics and in time the same issue will happen.
    NO. a low end card will work just fine, since 3d is not your main concern.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  6. #26

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    originally thinking of getting $58-62 AGP 128MB cards or even $100-120 AGP 256MB cards. my mobo is about 1.5yrs old, so i guess i would not upgrade so fast to PCI-E.
    erm... I may be wrong but I'm quite sure your mobo doesn't have a PCI-E slot. You are stuck with AGP cards.

  7. #27
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    erm... I may be wrong but I'm quite sure your mobo doesn't have a PCI-E slot. You are stuck with AGP cards.
    yah, it's ok. i read a bit and some say that AGP is actually better than PCI and have replaced previous PCI formats, but the AGP & its connection is more expensive to make and the more the frequency (AGP 2x, 4x, 8x), the more expensive it is, that is why they go back to PCI and develop the newer PCI-E.

    so i would use the current mobo + new low end AGP card until i've to upgrade the mobo.

  8. #28
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    think that hardwarezone is a dying forum. traffic low. no replies there.

  9. #29
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    think that hardwarezone is a dying forum. traffic low. no replies there.
    lolz

    SPH take over mah

    Same thing will happen to CS if SPH takes over
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    yah, it's ok. i read a bit and some say that AGP is actually better than PCI and have replaced previous PCI formats, but the AGP & its connection is more expensive to make and the more the frequency (AGP 2x, 4x, 8x), the more expensive it is, that is why they go back to PCI and develop the newer PCI-E.

    so i would use the current mobo + new low end AGP card until i've to upgrade the mobo.
    AGP cards are just fine. stick to low end AGP card to minimize unnecessary cost.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  11. #31
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    does popping up the ram helps in making photoshop faster?

    i already have a C: that runs on a 10000rpm western digital raptor harddisk. think that part is ok. not sure if any other hardware components can improve the workflow.

  12. #32
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    lolz

    SPH take over mah

    Same thing will happen to CS if SPH takes over
    didn't know that. but copyright issues is the only concern CS would have with SPH.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    does popping up the ram helps in making photoshop faster?

    i already have a C: that runs on a 10000rpm western digital raptor harddisk. think that part is ok. not sure if any other hardware components can improve the workflow.
    I have 2GB of ram in my system. it's a big difference compared to my 1GB machine, where it could load sluggishly cos around half of the 1GB ram are allocated to system resources whereas compared to having 2GB, you have 1.4 to 1.6GB at your disposal. big big difference when working on large files.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    how much did you pay for your 10K RPM raptor? and what size is it?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  15. #35
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    how much did you pay for your 10K RPM raptor? and what size is it?
    36GB only. i paid $180 2 years ago, dunno abt now.

  16. #36
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    thanks all. change into AGP powercolor 9250 128mb at $58 today. so far, ok.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    I hope it has a DVI output which you're using now ?

  18. #38
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    I hope it has a DVI output which you're using now ?
    it says DVI-I. but i dunno wat is that and how to use.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    I looks like videochip overheating problem, check the video card fan if there is one...if not check from driver to see if you are running in overclocking mode, usually if you bump up your video memory too much you will see this kind of artifacts....downclocking my helps a little.....in worse case...change your graphic card....The inno3D at $149 should fits your requirement, I personally will chose the XFX 6600GT card because of the DDR3 ram, I know there are better cards out there but I will rather save that for future upgrade

    http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguid...ide.php?id=304

  20. #40
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Help. should i get a new graphic card?

    Ooops...I am a little too late I guess

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •