Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Portraiture

Deregistered

Default Re: Better Portraiture

I koe to some pro so call rules are stupid, but to mi newbie its a guide...
    We had to start from somewhere rite.. One to have a positive thinkin..

Quote Originally Posted by excelglsi View Post
    actually I find that it's better to start from a totally ignorant caveman point (knowing none of the rules) and then figuring out what works and what doesn't work for you. following a set of guidelines just stifles your thinking before you even take the photo.

know your basic rules, perfect them and then break them to achieve what you want.

make use of the rules to build an image you want to build, break those rules to further enhance the image you are building.

Rules are important. Rules are meant to be broken also.

Have fun shooting!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    some famous doctors ....
    Dr. Evils
    Dr. No
    Dr. Who
    Dr. Zhivago
    Dr. Frankenstein
    Dr. Dolittle
    Dr. Fu Man Chu
    Dr. Zues
    Dr. Sun Yat San
    Dr. Josef Mengele
    Dr. Bradford Thorne

Dr Belittle ... huh, who is Dr. Belittle?
    Should be Dr CS Belittle... the one who said ppl in CS are generally stupid... i still waiting for his testimony...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

btw, all this are the rules for the classical portraits, define as traditional portraits, you don't have to follow if you intend to shoot more unconventional, lifestyle, candid, journalistic type of portraits.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Dr Belittle ... huh, who is Dr. Belittle?
    Dr Belittle is one who belittled a wannabe mummified poet,and called that wannabe necrotic poet a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Whats your name? Which book did u write?
    Me?

My name is certainly not something that one can delete, Ctrl and change.

Mine is a simple straightforward learner student.

I have no books.

But I have a lot of real teachers whom I will not delete from my memory. I recognise them and acknowledge them, because I believe God also speaks to them, and through them to those who are willing to learn from them.

Oh God! Oh my GOD!! OH MYYY GODDDDD!!!

Look at what mattlock writes. Read and consider carefully what he wrote.

It is human nature to want to have "rules" and "settings".

You want me to repeat what I wrote about how a certain person lied to people like you?

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Me?

My name is certainly not something that one can delete, Ctrl and change.

Mine is a simple straightforward learner student.

I have no books.

But I have a lot of real teachers whom I will not delete from my memory. I recognise them and acknowledge them, because I believe God also speaks to them, and through them to those who are willing to learn from them.
    u went repenting today for your sins? looks like its not working.

nevertheless, i still wish u well, whatever is bothering you.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Is this going to be a war again? Please lah all of us are grown ups. If you believe in God then remember that God doesn't wants us to be bitter and unforgiving.

If I am Del_CTRL I will also ask the same question. Does it really matters who writes the book as long as the the guides are good for us? I find your take on "Master Photographers" are somehow a bit eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by Octane69 View Post
    Oh God! Oh my GOD!! OH MYYY GODDDDD!!!
    Religions or religious remarks should not be allowed in the forums ...
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    Is this going to be a war again? Please lah all of us are grown ups. If you believe in God then remember that God doesn't wants us to be bitter and unforgiving.

If I am Del_CTRL I will also ask the same question. Does it really matters who writes the book as long as the the guides are good for us? I find your take on "Master Photographers" are somehow a bit eccentric.
    To some people, a sturdy bag is a good bag, for others, a branded but weaker bag is a better bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Octane69 View Post
    To some people, a sturdy bag is a good bag, for others, a branded but weaker bag is a better bag...
    this is the best quote for the year 2006 ....
    didnt know 69 is so chim hor .....
    always the Light, .... always.

69 is a magical number hor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    this is the best quote for the year 2006 ....
    didnt know 69 is so chim hor .....

Let me be very direct with you, soldier.

My take on "Master Photographer" is not strange at all. Have you looked at the works of the photographers I named?

The list of photographers I provided are all very well known photographers highly respected for their works on people. They range from classical portrait photographers to fashion photographers. I have not even included documentary/photojournalistic portrait photographers. These people have published books that are highly valued. Anyone of these photographers have more reputation in the tip of this left little finger than anyoneof us here in CS, and I suspect, than Don Peterson.

Read what mattlock wrote. While mattlock and I often locked horns, this is one area which we are in agreement.

When you look at the works of the photographers which I mention, you will begin to know the value of the rules provided by Don Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    u went repenting today for your sins? looks like its not working.

nevertheless, i still wish u well, whatever is bothering you.
    What is bothering me is people like you.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Let me be very direct with you, soldier.

My take on "Master Photographer" is not strange at all. Have you looked at the works of the photographers I named?

The list of photographers I provided are all very well known photographers highly respected for their works on people. They range from classical portrait photographers to fashion photographers. I have not even included documentary/photojournalistic portrait photographers. These people have published books that are highly valued. Anyone of these photographers have more reputation in the tip of this left little finger than anyoneof us here in CS, and I suspect, than Don Peterson.

Read what mattlock wrote. While mattlock and I often locked horns, this is one area which we are in agreement.

When you look at the works of the photographers which I mention, you will begin to know the value of the rules provided by Don Peterson.
    To newbies like me, any book on photography is a good book. Any comments, harsh or complimenting, is good comments. It makes you want to shoot more, and makes you wants to improve.

Realistic guides are good enough. I must learn how to crawl before learning how to walk. To tell you the truth, even if I were to look at the pictures of the masters you mentioned, I may not understand what they are trying to show. Only through rules, be it master photographer or not, will I be able to learn. And I think what the TS had "copied" +_+ are valuable information for people like me. Then after I learnt what are they for, I will break it, as what DP had mentioned.

Even comments from people who know nuts about photography, to tell me "hey your pic looks funny leh" will alert me to look at my photo again and think of what is wrong.

No offense to you, student.

No offense to you, student.

No problem. I am not offended at all.

It is your photography. It is not mine. You chose how you wish to learn.

And good luck to you and your photography.

make sure, you all follow these rules closely! ;P

thanks for posting, interesting read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast