Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon D40 or Sony Alpha

Default Re: Nikon D40 or Sony Alpha

you mentioned its a very very long investment.....

get D200 then... it will last you a very long time.....
    pro capabilities at a very reasonable price....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

imho, i don recommand d200 if you don know if you will use all those better features. just get a simple and possible a cheap one, and if you really need it (within a yr or 2) you can sell it off or get a better camera (if you have been using the cam for more than a yr).
    no doubt you spend more, but by the time you upgrade, you might be able to get a even better cam than the current one @ the same price or even lower. 2ndly you get to use 2 camera instead of 1.

My 2 cents worth....

I just bought a D40 over a D70s and i am having fun playing with it.

I think electronics depreciates in time especially digital so there will always be newer products. Why not just buy a value one for a start and fiddle with it before upgrading. There is always resale value for Nikon.

cheers.

I have merged the 2 threads of the same topic by the TS.

Please refrain from starting multiple threads of the same topic, so that your discussion can be kept in one place.

Thanks!

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Hi,

You may want to try dpreview (or any camera review sites) for more detail. There are in-depth reviews.

Here's a Side-by-side comparison.

Hope this help

Quote Originally Posted by deepseablue View Post
    Then wat model shld i go for? D80? sony alpha is almost out of my consideration due to the noise it produces...
    if for me i'll get D80. but that's just my own preference.

i'd like to ask if D40's kit lens comes with VR?
    D40 kits lens AF-S 18-55 doesn't come with VR

Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888 View Post
    you mentioned its a very very long investment.....

get D200 then... it will last you a very long time.....
    pro capabilities at a very reasonable price....
    No point if he dunno how to use it fully....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

can learn...... since TS intend to use the camera for a long long time....
    and dun wish to upgrade, D200 should be the best option now...

but if want to try try and see see, then get D40....

if half serious (or more than half serious) can get the D80....

if got camera knowledge, then straight away get the D200 can save the $$ on upgrading later....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

I think there is something important that is not mentioned here significantly enough. The D40 does not accept the older Nikon lens (i.e. those without AF-S). If you wish to upgrade your lens selection, your options will be more limited (especially if your budget is limited).

Assuming that upgrading of lens and a limited budget are important considerations, then you may wish to look at the D50 or Alpha.

The most important element of taking good pictures is the photographer. The camera only give the means to do it. The more expensive the camera, the easier the photographer can get the camera to do what he/she wants it to.

There is too many factors to consider in selecting the "best" camera for you so much so that I would not attempt to start. But I will ask you to try out all cameras and better still get a someone to teach you what are all the functions in a DSLR then you are in a better position to decide.

ya lor. Don't get the D40 lah. So many good nikkor lens cannot use, like the 85mm f1.4, 50mm primes....

In body AS is quite useful actually. I think it is a better solution than N/C. I used to own a KM7D with in body AS. With inbody stabilization you can mount a bright prime like 50mm f1.4, and have stabilization. Both nikon and canon DO NOT have stabilized lens at f1.4.

Actually I think you need to read dpreview.com. Too many basic questions that can be answered by some background research.

if u have no intention to buy many lens and no intention to look at the highest end of the lens range, get the a100. much more features than d40. there are many wonderful 2nd hand lens available for KM/Sony lens also.
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r View Post
    if u have no intention to buy many lens and no intention to look at the highest end of the lens range, get the a100. much more features than d40. there are many wonderful 2nd hand lens available for KM/Sony lens also.
    I would advise the TS to go and try the feel of the cameras too... Pick one which you would like to handle easily....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    I have merged the 2 threads of the same topic by the TS.

Please refrain from starting multiple threads of the same topic, so that your discussion can be kept in one place.

Thanks!

- Roy
    Hi, i'll surely not start 2 threads of the same title anymore!
    Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I would advise the TS to go and try the feel of the cameras too... Pick one which you would like to handle easily....
    hi all...thanks for all ur help.

anyway i've held onto alpha b4 and i loved it, i'm also a pro-sony consumer, but the fact that it produces noisy pics compared to D40 is a turn off for me. Sony's lens are also supposedly more expensive than other brands. Their horseshoe mounting for their external flashlights are also diff frm normal 3rd party flashlights so only sony's can be used on it. Due to the above, I've striked off the idea of getting it.

As for D40, i understand its an entry level SLR so its features are sort of limited. Eg. being 6mp, 3pt foucus, only being able to support AF-S lens if i want AF (a canon sales man told me even if its AF-S lens, only half are suitable). Others also mentioned some other features are absent. If i were to get another SLR after 2 yrs, i might get D40, but unfortunately i'm planning to use it for like 4yrs if possible, so this cam is most prob out.

Lastly i saw reviews on eos400 which was compared with alpha n d80 and its ranked in between where d80 was ranked 1st. The package sold on canon's roadshow today was quite good I think ($1669 with 18-55mm lens, one 1gig cf card, one 2gig cf card,1 calibrator, tripod,dry box, screen protector, filter, ef lens workbook) seems like a good deal. Shld be gettng it when there is another roadshow.

Thats what i conclude frm my days of work...like i was told, I can never go wrong with any SLR, just have to keep practising.

Thanks once again for all the comments given

hi all...thanks for all ur help.

anyway i've held onto alpha b4 and i loved it, i'm also a pro-sony consumer, but the fact that it produces noisy pics compared to D40 is a turn off for me. Sony's lens are also supposedly more expensive than other brands. Their horseshoe mounting for their external flashlights are also diff frm normal 3rd party flashlights so only sony's can be used on it. Due to the above, I've striked off the idea of getting it.

As for D40, i understand its an entry level SLR so its features are sort of limited. Eg. being 6mp, 3pt foucus, only being able to support AF-S lens if i want AF (a canon sales man told me even if its AF-S lens, only half are suitable). Others also mentioned some other features are absent. If i were to get another SLR after 2 yrs, i might get D40, but unfortunately i'm planning to use it for like 4yrs if possible, so this cam is most prob out.

Lastly i saw reviews on eos400 which was compared with alpha n d80 and its ranked in between where d80 was ranked 1st. The package sold on canon's roadshow today was quite good I think ($1669 with 18-55mm lens, one 1gig cf card, one 2gig cf card,1 calibrator, tripod,dry box, screen protector, filter, ef lens workbook) seems like a good deal. Shld be gettng it when there is another roadshow.

Thats what i conclude frm my days of work...like i was told, I can never go wrong with any SLR, just have to keep practising.

Thanks once again for all the comments given
    yes, good that you thought thru. I would say go down the shop and have a choose at all the 3 cams(d80, 400d, a100)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12