Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: How to get this effect?

  1. #1

    Default How to get this effect?

    hey guys.. you guys need to check out this jap dude if you haven't already seen him on flickr.

    www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima

    there's one particular photo of his ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/317610111/ ) that i like..but i wonder whether anyone (apart from him) can tell me how he achieved his tones and colours ?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Adobe photoshop CS...

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    i was kinda hoping i wouldn't get that reply..i know i can get the same effect in ps..but is it actually possible to get that on film without having to DI it?

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    sucks being in ns...i can only post on weekends..when there are very replies...

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Try using layer styles and a lil bit burning tools.. But you must have the "feeling", coz if not then your image after burning wouldn't look as nice as the example..

    Its the sense rather than the technique..
    But both are really important

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    ahh..alright..thanks man

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    ahh..alright..thanks man
    I know you wanted to get it right out from film.
    This guys uses Leica, Olympus Zuiko n film.
    Some of them I couldnt figure out.
    But majority the tone and contrast is because of Leica.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    that explains it then..thanks bro beautiful stuff, what the leica can produce

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Most likely, the pictures went thru a round of PS even though they were taken on film. Unless you have a well-calibrated scanner, it's quite difficult to retain the same colours and tones you get from film. Depending on the film (positive slides in this case), if the original colours are already quite rich, all you need is to adjust the contrast a bit and you will get very good results already.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    err... i think that its done with a tilt shift lense and then burning.

    If u guys see the full size image the bokeh is different. For eg, the bokeh is sharp on an angle thats from the person to the ground infront, notice than normal lens is linear bokeh, which is suppose to be shape on the same plane, the bokeh on the side of the road is blurred, which is suppose to be on the same plane using normal lens. Of course, we can use gaussian blur to achieve that... (but i could be wrong thou...)

    another point to note, to have such shallow dof in street photography, unless he is using a telephoto which is still within the focusing range, but strange is, telephoto can't be like this wide angle... another point to ponder.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    His works looks very similar to the velvia kind of thinggy..if ur camera can load custom curves, u can try loading the velvia ones..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    ooh, din notice its f1.0... oh my god... ok... now that makes sense...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    err... i think that its done with a tilt shift lense and then burning.

    If u guys see the full size image the bokeh is different. For eg, the bokeh is sharp on an angle thats from the person to the ground infront, notice than normal lens is linear bokeh, which is suppose to be shape on the same plane, the bokeh on the side of the road is blurred, which is suppose to be on the same plane using normal lens. Of course, we can use gaussian blur to achieve that... (but i could be wrong thou...)

    another point to note, to have such shallow dof in street photography, unless he is using a telephoto which is still within the focusing range, but strange is, telephoto can't be like this wide angle... another point to ponder.
    Seems typical of any 50mm lens opening wide up to f1.4 or even f2.

  14. #14

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Some people don't like being called "jap"
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    Seems typical of any 50mm lens opening wide up to f1.4 or even f2.
    me mistake, never notice its f1.0 with a film camera.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by scaredcloud View Post
    I know you wanted to get it right out from film.
    This guys uses Leica, Olympus Zuiko n film.
    Some of them I couldnt figure out.
    But majority the tone and contrast is because of Leica.
    *faint*.

    Firstly, the colour tone and characteristics (warm enhancing) are a feature of kodachrome. Lens basically involves micro contrast, which is thought to enhance sharpness. They do affect contrast, but not as much as a great scale as to film, and the effect is very subtle.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore, East Coast, Katong.
    Posts
    387

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    you can try Photo Filter (I might suggest a cooling filter (LBB) then render>Lighting effects (soft Omni)

    should be easily done.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    thanks for suggesting the link.. his work is rather inspirting not only as a photographer.. even more so as an artist.. love all this shots (artwork)!

  19. #19

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    sucks being in ns...i can only post on weekends..when there are very replies...
    last time we in NS come home also dont have computer and internet.

    hahahahahaha

  20. #20

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    basically increase the contrast and tweak the curve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •