Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 115 of 115

Thread: Favourite Lens for Weddings

  1. #101

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Any idea what lens and settings to use for weddings in the ballroom? There's alot of movement and the exposure cant be too long else the subjects will be blurred. Cant really use flash also since there is a need to capture the ambience of the warm lights.

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    Any idea what lens and settings to use for weddings in the ballroom? There's alot of movement and the exposure cant be too long else the subjects will be blurred. Cant really use flash also since there is a need to capture the ambience of the warm lights.
    You would definately need a flash to be able to freeze the movement. If no flash than you have to use the widest aperture lens you have + higher ISO. E.g 50F1.2/1.4 or 85F1.2/1.8
    If using a F2.8 lens.. than ISO might have to be 1000 or 1600.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    m3lv1nho, you mentioned "using a F2.8 lens.. than ISO might have to be 1000 or 1600." But do you have to use a flash for this settings to freeze the subject and yet maintain the warm light ambience?

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    m3lv1nho, you mentioned "using a F2.8 lens.. than ISO might have to be 1000 or 1600." But do you have to use a flash for this settings to freeze the subject and yet maintain the warm light ambience?
    With my limited exp, this is what I am getting. With F2.8 and ISO 1000 I am able to get a relatively sharp picture without flash provided that there isn't any fast movement from the sudject. But I wouldn't bet on it so I will still use flash to be safe.

  5. #105
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    Cant really use flash also since there is a need to capture the ambience of the warm lights.

    why cannot capture ambience light when flash is being use?
    Curious ....What mode are you using?

    I have no problem capturing ambience light when using flash.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    why cannot capture ambience light when flash is being use?
    Curious ....What mode are you using?

    I have no problem capturing ambience light when using flash.
    When used with the built in flash, the background appears dark and the lighting appears white instead of warm.

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Eh, don't OT ley.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  8. #108
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
    When used with the built in flash, the background appears dark and the lighting appears white instead of warm.
    For Wedding shots, I normal use a external flash pointing to the ceiling with a bounce card or diffuse dome, to diffuse my flash. Another way I have tried ( when my flash's batteries ran dry) is to attach my diffuse dome directly to my built-in flash. It would soften the impact of the flash for a warmer colour... Hope it help....

  9. #109
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    for Me I will bring my 17-55mm and 70-200mm. Some times I will bring along my 12-24mm as well when the house is small or have some space constrains.

  10. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    hi i am still a noob in photography but happen to did a shooting event of ROM solemization at my own cafe.... however the photos came out very unsatisfatory.... few questions to ask....

    1. the lighting is consider low so i had to pump up my iso to 800 and 1600 or else anything lower will make shutter speed go above 1sec... camera is 400d, lens 24-70L and 50 f1.8II. photo that came out is either too noisy to even make out the face detail when blow up or the subject is blurred.... so is it skill problem or 400d is not decent enuff to do tis kind of event??

    2. in very low light situation, AF refuse to focus so is it true that when shooting event in very low light condition or eg. pubs, disco, i have to use MF? which mode to use fully manual? A-pority or Shutter Piority?
    Toy:400D+EFS18-55mmf3.5-5.6+EF50mmf1.8+Sigma55-200mmf4-5.6+EF100mmf2.8+BG-3+EF24-70mmf2.8L+PZ42X

  11. #111

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    Think of expensive "weapons" as specialised tools, they don't really give you sharpness, but they gives the photos that different look that no amount of PS can achieve... else after a while, all the pictures all look the same as everyone else, no fun liao
    Wise words from the master above.

    I am inclined to agree with canturn that a fast prime can help attain certain effects that makes the post processing a whole lot easier.

    Indeed, a fast lens is a gem to have and hence if i should shoot a wedding, it could be:
    85f1.2 (or 1.4) & a decent wide angle zoom f2.8.

    As for tele zoom, it is difficult to compare with overseas professionals as most of the couples do not live in a 4room hdb in their countries. With more space to move about during a wedding shoot, there is distance and hence the ability to use longer focal length.

    Oh, one thing about using wide angle zoom is the videographer will hate the photographer for getting into his path as it would make video editing tougher.

  12. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by tommitoh View Post
    hi i am still a noob in photography but happen to did a shooting event of ROM solemization at my own cafe.... however the photos came out very unsatisfatory.... few questions to ask....

    1. the lighting is consider low so i had to pump up my iso to 800 and 1600 or else anything lower will make shutter speed go above 1sec... camera is 400d, lens 24-70L and 50 f1.8II. photo that came out is either too noisy to even make out the face detail when blow up or the subject is blurred.... so is it skill problem or 400d is not decent enuff to do tis kind of event??

    2. in very low light situation, AF refuse to focus so is it true that when shooting event in very low light condition or eg. pubs, disco, i have to use MF? which mode to use fully manual? A-pority or Shutter Piority?
    Get a flash or use a 50 f1.2!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  13. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore/Manila
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    My fave set-up: Canon 10D w/ 85mm f/1.2L and 16-35mm f/2.8L.

  14. #114

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    is sigma 17-35mmf/2.8 or 50mmf/1.4 better for weddings low light condition???

  15. #115
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Favourite Lens for Weddings

    Kinda old thread, but however with the new technology coming up.
    It is better to state what camera with the lens will be more useful as a 17mm on nikon DX will be 25.5mm on 35mm(full frame) and 14mm on olympus is 28mm(full frame).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •