Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on how to shoot silky dress

Default Re: Advice on how to shoot silky dress

IMHO.

Omni bounce doesn't really diffuse the light as much as you'd like to believe. It's a major cause of your problem. Model shooting, I presume outdoors. Omnibounce behaves mostly just like a normal direct flash. too small a light source.

to resolve the issue can try use a larger light source by
    1) using a bounce card
    2) bounce flash off some wall/directed bounce card WITHOUT your omnibounce
    3) use a softbox + studio light

i assume you are already happy with the lighting overall on the model, except for the silky dress part. (bouncing and direct light gives very different look, so decide if you are willing to sacrifice the entire lighting setup just for the dress.) if you are familiar with darkroom terms, you can 'dodge' the overexposed part by putting a black card in between the lightsource and the overexposed part. the distance between the card n light affects the dress differently. you'll probably need an assistant or grip equip to help you on this.

can try putting the lightsource further and increase the power, to let the light spread and diffuse more, instead of a hotspot on the dress. where and how you place the light also determines how reflective the dress is. a lot of factors, so you got to play around.

yes, lighting can be a tedious art n craft by itself!

*edit: *oops! i forgot to ask if this is an controlled model shoot situation, or something like a fashion catwalk kind of thing. i assumed the former.
    Last edited by Stereobox; 23rd December 2006 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    i assume you are already happy with the lighting overall on the model, except for the silky dress part. (bouncing and direct light gives very different look, so decide if you are willing to sacrifice the entire lighting setup just for the dress.) if you are familiar with darkroom terms, you can 'dodge' the overexposed part by putting a black card in between the lightsource and the overexposed part. the distance between the card n light affects the dress differently. you'll probably need an assistant or grip equip to help you on this.

can try putting the lightsource further and increase the power, to let the light spread and diffuse more, instead of a hotspot on the dress. where and how you place the light also determines how reflective the dress is. a lot of factors, so you got to play around.

yes, lighting can be a tedious art n craft by itself!

*edit: *oops! i forgot to ask if this is an controlled model shoot situation, or something like a fashion catwalk kind of thing. i assumed the former.
    Thanks for your pointers... it's in semi controlled environment (ie not studio). I get to pose the models tho. Catwalk environment... no choice liao... once the spotlight hits the models or dress..either have to give.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Thanks for your pointers... it's in semi controlled environment (ie not studio). I get to pose the models tho. Catwalk environment... no choice liao... once the spotlight hits the models or dress..either have to give.
    like that bo pian liao lor~ spotlights are very intense directional lights. switch to film? it gives nicer blown highlights

use a softbox or a lightsphere.

My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    like that bo pian liao lor~ spotlights are very intense directional lights. switch to film? it gives nicer blown highlights
    Nevermind liao... looks like have to rely on PS.

Try setting the ettl to average intead of evaluative. The ettl sometimes "think" too much, when one spot is overexposed, it cuts the flash power straight away. This is especially true when using lightsphere with ur background as some glass panels. Irritating at times...

use reflectors as well?

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Nevermind liao... looks like have to rely on PS.
    PS is not going to help recover details that wouldn't exist in blown highlights.
    Perhaps you should take your flash off camera and use it on a reflector or umbrella reflector then move the flash and reflector as near the subject as possible. Just an idea from an article on use of studio lights here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=007tNJ
    Last edited by AncientMariner; 25th December 2006 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
    PS is not going to help recover details that wouldn't exist in blown highlights.
    Perhaps you should take your flash off camera and use it on a reflector or umbrella reflector then move the flash and reflector as near the subject as possible. Just an idea from an article on use of studio lights here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=007tNJ
    Thanks! These are the examples I'm looking for.

Looks like I really need a studio set up to have a proper shoot.... and a damn HUGE soft box to get it nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100 View Post
    Try setting the ettl to average intead of evaluative. The ettl sometimes "think" too much, when one spot is overexposed, it cuts the flash power straight away. This is especially true when using lightsphere with ur background as some glass panels. Irritating at times...
    Thanks..

My worst shooting condition so far is the reception area at Le Meridian... 2 walls of mirrors. Flash also dunno where to siam and avoid the mirrors... hahaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12