Thread: beijing tips

Default beijing tips

hi guys,

I will be going for tour in Beijing at late Dec with 2 nights extension. So I got sometime on my own in Beijing.

Any recommedations for food in Beijing? Is the quanjude Duck really good? Will be staying at Hyatt hotel near Wangfujin. Is there any good resturants to recommend? Budget is like S$100 per meal for 2.

Any good deals for nikon lens in Beijing?

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Default Re: beijing tips

quanjude Duck , 95% fat.

for nikon lens, you can find some in 五棵松。

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    hi guys,

I will be going for tour in Beijing at late Dec with 2 nights extension. So I got sometime on my own in Beijing.

Any recommedations for food in Beijing? Is the quanjude Duck really good? Will be staying at Hyatt hotel near Wangfujin. Is there any good resturants to recommend? Budget is like S$100 per meal for 2.

Any good deals for nikon lens in Beijing?

Thanks for any tips in advance.
    1. Try a Jap (fusion) restaurant in San Li Tun. It's called Jazz Ya. Stop opp. Shopping Ctr 3.3
    2. Cafe Sambal at Jiu Guo Lou Jie is very good too.
    3. Apart from Quan Ju De, you can try Da Dong along Dong San Huan (hong qiao) or Bian Yi Fang.

thanks for all the info.

My beijing colleague got me two more places for photographic eq.

1) jing guang jiao at zhong wen men
    2) hui feng at xi shi

Dunno where are these places though

I agree about Quanjude, skip it, you won't miss anything. I've had better Peking Duck in another city in China. If you really want the touristy experience, there are places that can have your initials roasted into the skin of the duck, that you can see (and be photographed with !) before they carve up the duck. And then after that you can tuck into your meal of bland 95% duck fat

You don't have to eat at the streetside (and you'll be risking frostbite if you do in late Dec), there are many foodcourts around that you can try. Beware that the standard will not be similar to Singapore, no matter how enticing their displays look, but it's worth a taste. Since you're in the Wangfujing area, there's one in a basement next to the famous multi-storey bookstore that you can check out, I can't recall the name but it's quite easy to find.

There's also a "food street" along Wangfujing that has many hawkers selling all sorts of things (fried beetles, anyone ?), worth having a look ... it's about 10 min walk northwards from the big bookstore (at the top end of the pedestrian mall).

Honestly, I can't recall any gastronomic revelations in Beijing (and I've been there many times) ... the only ones I've ever come close to enjoying were a hotpot place about 10 min drive southwards from China World Hotel (and while you're around there, there's also another foodcourt at the underground China World Mall that is relatively decent, they even serve "Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice" ), and a korean barbeque restaurant at Youyi / Yansha / Lufthansa Shopping Center.

My parents also went on a tour more than a year ago, and the only thing they found interesting was an imperial gourmet banquet that was quite reasonably priced, that had many many small dishes served. It was an addition to their tour that they said was quite worth it, mostly for the experience ... see if your tour guide offers that option.

Youy might want to be careful about eating at the food street, been informed that locals avoid them as they are not exactly clean/hygenic/safe, oil used for cooking could be weeks/months/years old......and food left over are back on sale the next day, the next next day, the next, next, next......nice to see....but eat with caution, better not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    Youy might want to be careful about eating at the food street, been informed that locals avoid them as they are not exactly clean/hygenic/safe, oil used for cooking could be weeks/months/years old......and food left over are back on sale the next day, the next next day, the next, next, next......nice to see....but eat with caution, better not at all.
    Some food for thought.... Does anyone ever notice that there are never any, ANY ANY!!! Stray animals in china? Been from Shenzhen to heilongjiang... total stray animals sighted.. 1 stray dog.

maybe thats y the roadside bbq meat skewers taste so good...

agreed, skip quanjude, it is lousy and super overpriced. heard DaTong is much better but need to make advance booking. can also try Zhuan Cai at Beijing, must try this WaterBoiledFish, Good !

reporting back from beijing.

The tour food served by CTC is quite bad. They even brought us to a quanjude branch but the duck was VERY BAD. skin not crispy at all. I had better beijing duck in Singapore. But I am suspicious that the CTC brought us to a CHEAP branch with inferior quality.

Anyway, I tried 2 resturants on my 2 days extension on my own.

1) was "Made in China" in grand hyatt beijing. The beijing duck was around RMB125 for half a duck. Best beijing duck I have tasted. They seperated the duck into 3 plates,

1) skin from the back. Supposedly the best part. Just dip in sugar and eat. VERY NICE
    2) skin + meat from the leg.
    3) skin + meat from other parts.

Tried the pigeon ginseng soup which was also very good. Service is very nice, and they have the open concept style simlar to Breadtalk kind where you can see the preparation. It was so good that we went back the next day for dinner. We got to see some actor there too. This place seems to be THE PLACE to be in beijing. All pretty people there

2) second resturant was the FangShan at Beihai. Located in a authentic old building. Tried the RMB250 per pax set lunch. They only serve set Imperial lunches . Food was so so and very crowded. Quite an interesting experience with a lot of small dishes. But I thought the food quality is not as good as "Made in China". Food came out only warm not hot. The most interesting part of the meal was the pretty girl sitting on my left table, and the FAT little china girl kenna force fed by her 2 parents on my right.

3) Macdonalds we ate this so often when CTC dumped us in stupid shopping centers like yaxiu, xiushui etc. Liked the fries and Mac crispy burger