Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lady of Few Words

Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

Hi..i suggest shot in morning natural light(less harse) or evening sunset which gives you a warm glow on the mainly white surface... :-)

Waterlucky:

Thanks for the suggestion
    Will try it

Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    This was shot witha Canon S3 is, on a tripod with timer
    So am not sure why any shake should happen ?
    Same lighting too

Is version two better ?
    I like it more, detail seems definiely more
    So there is no mirror slap-up shake since the Canon S3 is not a DSLR.

The 2nd version is definitely more in focus than the first version.

BTW, what focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed did you use? What is the actual size (height) of the figure? Did you manually select specific focus point and and which part of the figure did you specifically focus at? I'm asking because I'm wondering about the DOF. Very frequently, the DOF is too shallow to have the full figure (or insect or flowers etc.) in focus when we take close-up/macro if the settings are not appropriate. This could be a DOF issue.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 18th December 2006 at 11:50 AM.

16mm
    f/5.6
    1/2sec
    iso 80

The actual figure is about 5.5 inches tall, I tried focussing on the face specifically on the eyes & nose

Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    16mm
    f/5.6
    1/2sec
    iso 80

The actual figure is about 5.5 inches tall, I tried focussing on the face specifically on the eyes & nose
    At 16mm @F/5.6 and with a 1/2.5" sensor on the Canon S3 IS, the approximate minimum distance to capture the whole figurine is about 1.3m away from it. So I guess you must be at least that distance away when you took the shots. The DOF should be enough (about 0.16m infront and 0.21m at the back) even if you stand just 1.3m away and not any further (if further, it means picture needs cropping for it to fill the frame fully and the DOF at further shooting distance is more).

So the blur in your first picture was probably a focusing problem (look at the blur seashell she is holding).

In any case, you may want to try out other combinations of focal length, shooting distance, aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the effect you want, bearing in mind the differences in DOF and bokeh etc.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 19th December 2006 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks, will try your suggestions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12