Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: The Lady of Few Words

  1. #1

    Default The Lady of Few Words

    Hi all

    So I have this beautiful porcelain figurine, which I have been dying to shoot
    I also picked up a small light, which I wanted to check



    First attempt at this
    C&C welcome

    More images in the same series can be found here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dramanow/
    Last edited by drama; 15th December 2006 at 04:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Hi,

    I most likely will get shot down for suggesting this, but....

    Try the same shot but with a circular polarising filter.

    Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Hi,

    I most likely will get shot down for suggesting this, but....

    Try the same shot but with a circular polarising filter.

    Cheers
    CPL filter can eliminate reflection, but not hotspots
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4
    Member iboey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    1,202

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    the pic is oof. did u focus and meter it properly?

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Pablo:
    Dont have a circular polariser yet, so cant try that now


    iboey:
    The amount of detail on the figurine is only so much, it is properly focussed & metered

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    it looks definitely oof..
    Last edited by zeith; 16th December 2006 at 03:22 AM.

  7. #7
    Member iboey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    1,202

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    Pablo:
    Dont have a circular polariser yet, so cant try that now


    iboey:
    The amount of detail on the figurine is only so much, it is properly focussed & metered
    Its not abt the amount of detail...its the sharpness of yr pic..its clearly OOF.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by iboey View Post
    Its not abt the amount of detail...its the sharpness of yr pic..its clearly OOF.
    look more like handshake...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Its about as sharp as the original, its surprisingly less crisp than you would expect
    This was shot on a tripod with a timer, so no handshake either
    Last edited by drama; 16th December 2006 at 02:25 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    Its about as sharp as the original, its surprisingly less crisp than you would expect
    This was shot on a tripod witha timer, so no handshake either
    the focussing is off then. btw what's your aperture setting like?

    on the picture, the colours are dull and grey. if you use a white background, consider going for highkey, if not you might want to consider a darker background.

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Eikin

    Those are the colors of the figurine
    I am pretty sure, that the focus is not off
    The lack of sharpness to the facial features is certainly distracting

    It seems to me, the whole focus\ color debate seems to be on the basis of what you guys think it looks like
    I think the shot pretty well represents it in terms of color & sharpness of features
    Last edited by drama; 16th December 2006 at 02:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    Eikin

    Those are the colors of the figurine
    I am not sure, if the focus is off

    It seems to me, the whole focus\ color debate seems to be on the basis of what you guys think it looks like
    I think the shot pretty well represents it in termms of color & sharpness of features
    which is why i recommended 1. a highkey to focus on more abstract lines and shapes or 2. using a darker background to create some form of contrast against the greyish colours to bring out your subject. a warmer light can also be used if you want to bring out more colours.

    however, if the shot has satisfied your criteria there's no need to ask for critique.

  13. #13

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    which is why i recommended 1. a highkey to focus on more abstract lines and shapes or 2. using a darker background to create some form of contrast against the greyish colours to bring out your subject. a warmer light can also be used if you want to bring out more colours.

    however, if the shot has satisfied your criteria there's no need to ask for critique.
    I do apologise, if I came of the wrong way
    I do need the critique, it is the limitation of my knowledge & experience which does not let me appreciate your comments


    1 What is a high key focus?
    2 Will black work, for the back ground ?
    3 I was using a yellow light, which I corrected using manual white balance
    Should I leave it yellow?
    Last edited by drama; 16th December 2006 at 02:43 PM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    Eikin

    Those are the colors of the figurine
    I am pretty sure, that the focus is not off
    The lack of sharpness to the facial features is certainly distracting

    It seems to me, the whole focus\ color debate seems to be on the basis of what you guys think it looks like
    I think the shot pretty well represents it in terms of color & sharpness of features
    so what kind of critque do you want to hear?

    the focus is spot on, there is no handshake. There seems to be a decent attempt at creating a shadow. all in all, a technically correct photo, but sorely lacking in any other departments.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    I do apologise, if I came of the wrong way
    I do need the critique, it is the limitation of my knowledge & experience which does not let me appreciate your comments


    1 What is a high key focus?
    2 Will black work, for the back ground ?
    3 I was using a yellow light, which I corrected using manual white balance
    Should I leave it yellow?
    1. highkey means your image will appear bright, yet retaining details. in case you mistake it for overexposure.

    2. you got to try to see if it'll work. changing the background colour only change 1 variable, it'll also depend on how your subject is lighted.

    3. does your camera allow you to change colour temperature? if not you can add try add yellow and red in PS using colour balance.

    anyway the focus is off, means you got to go back to try again.

    for a quick sample of what highkey might look like here, with a little warmer colours,

    Last edited by eikin; 16th December 2006 at 03:06 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Thanks for the clarifications Eikin

    I retried the shots based on your tips
    Here are the results



    Manual White Balance + Level Adjustment
    Last edited by drama; 16th December 2006 at 05:39 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    The newest pictures posted clearly suggest that the earlier picture in the first post was either not focused properly or the DOF was so extremely shallow that only the area near the elbow was probably in focus.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 17th December 2006 at 01:23 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    actually i still feel my assumption of handshake is still valid, from the shadow... or maybe due to long exposure, mirror shake. or maybe he changed lighting from 1st & 2nd.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #19

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    actually i still feel my assumption of handshake is still valid, from the shadow... or maybe due to long exposure, mirror shake. or maybe he changed lighting from 1st & 2nd.
    Possible mirror slap-up shake if mirror lock-up was not used in such close-up shots under such light condition on a tripod.

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Lady of Few Words

    Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    Possible mirror slap-up shake if mirror lock-up was not used in such close-up shots under such light condition on a tripod.
    This was shot witha Canon S3 is, on a tripod with timer
    So am not sure why any shake should happen ?
    Same lighting too

    Is version two better ?
    I like it more, detail seems definiely more
    Last edited by drama; 17th December 2006 at 08:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •