Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Sometimes I think we take things way too seriously.

We squabble about whether other non believers should celebrate our festivals, we squabble about whether we should participate in the celebrations of another race and culture. We keep using religion as an shield saying that we must be loyal to our faith that we must this must that.... Sigh sometimes makes me wonder if our brains have melted and we are just blindly following text in "holy" books and "God inspired". By the way Buddhism is not a religion and it is a way of life. Buddha himself said this "Do not worship me for I am no a God" That is why even those who pray to Buddha Statues in temples in hope of their wishes granted are doing so blindly. The statutes are a reminder of the faith and not a object of worship but of course humans being humans, we just love to worship something.

Hence no abbot will go question you about celebrating Xmas. Because there is no conflict with Buddhism.

well said... kopi?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Sometimes I think we take things way too seriously.

We squabble about whether other non believers should celebrate our festivals, we squabble about whether we should participate in the celebrations of another race and culture. We keep using religion as an shield saying that we must be loyal to our faith that we must this must that.... Sigh sometimes makes me wonder if our brains have melted and we are just blindly following text in "holy" books and "God inspired". By the way Buddhism is not a religion and it is a way of life. Buddha himself said this "Do not worship me for I am no a God" That is why even those who pray to Buddha Statues in temples in hope of their wishes granted are doing so blindly. The statutes are a reminder of the faith and not a object of worship but of course humans being humans, we just love to worship something.

Hence no abbot will go question you about celebrating Xmas. Because there is no conflict with Buddhism.
    Ya lor... Jesus and Buddha everyday have teabreak n play chess together

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Ya lor... Jesus and Buddha everyday have teabreak n play chess together
    I knew that's coming....

Interesting link on Buddha.Way off topic but...
    http://www.buddhanet.net/1-gqga.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123