Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Anyone know if there's a taboo about giving umbrellas for Christmas as gifts?

    thanks..

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    Anyone know if there's a taboo about giving umbrellas for Christmas as gifts?

    thanks..
    Kex,

    If you give it to your mom or aunties, they will kiss you for it.

    If you give it to your girlfriend, she will hammer you with it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    not me la..

    a frd of mine thinking of giving out umbrellas as corporate gifts to her clients..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    i think basically depend on what industry she is in... insurance I find it pretty appropriate...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    she is in telco..

    any idea?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

    However, I see no point of people celebriting if they are not Christians. They means if you are a Buddist, then you are insulting your own religion, but anyone is welcomed to join everyone else in Christmas, if you don't mind the fact that it's a Christian festival.

    Enough said.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    kinda funny, at least better than my uncles and aunties. some of them actually give socks!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    she is in telco..

    any idea?

    if I'm the client, I will have this ?????? when I get the umbrella?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    3 things are best to avoid as presents " clock , umbrella and mirror "

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

    However, I see no point of people celebriting if they are not Christians. They means if you are a Buddist, then you are insulting your own religion, but anyone is welcomed to join everyone else in Christmas, if you don't mind the fact that it's a Christian festival.

    Enough said.
    U some kinda zealot or fanatic?

    I thought Christians are most liberal when it comes to religious solicition?

    *OT liaoz, back to discussion*
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

    However, I see no point of people celebriting if they are not Christians. They means if you are a Buddist, then you are insulting your own religion, but anyone is welcomed to join everyone else in Christmas, if you don't mind the fact that it's a Christian festival.

    Enough said.
    seriously I don't really see your point on insulting your own religion... especially for buddhist... I'm a devoted buddhist, yet I do celebrate Xmas... and I am not ashamed to say I love Xmas because after so many years of evolution... it is no longer just a festival "owned" by christian.... not about Jesus solely.. but it demonstrates a festive season of sharing..... Hope you don't stir up the discrimination of religion with your speech

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    U some kinda zealot or fanatic?

    I thought Christians are most liberal when it comes to religious solicition?

    *OT liaoz, back to discussion*
    depends... some got mixed beliefs.. still got carry chinese beliefs.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    3 things are best to avoid as presents " clock , umbrella and mirror "
    I will be if i receive an umbrella for christmas present. If she is superstitious then better not. It will have a different meaning when translated to chinese or hokkien.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    if u v close 2 tt person, underwear oso no prob.

    but if not tt close den depends on how tt particular gift is recieved.

  15. #15
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    she is in telco..

    any idea?
    Good idea, she can tell customers that their coverage is best and can rely on them. But the idea is not very original as Singtel used it in their ad many years back during their Singtel Vs M1 ad wars. The bigger red umbrella cover more than the small orange umbrella.....better coverage.

  16. #16
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    she is in telco..

    any idea?
    2 years ago I got the nicest Corporate gift umbrella from a particular Telco, I think very appropriate but it was not for Christmas lah...

    Also got a Mont Blanc pen when our company signed large contract with them. Hmm.. let see what else I got.. Hey, but I gave them my Corporate gifts as well.

    ../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 15th December 2006 at 07:29 AM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    As a coorporate give away/gift, it should be ok.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

    However, I see no point of people celebriting if they are not Christians. They means if you are a Buddist, then you are insulting your own religion, but anyone is welcomed to join everyone else in Christmas, if you don't mind the fact that it's a Christian festival.

    Enough said.
    Think you still living in the stone ages ....

  19. #19
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

    However, I see no point of people celebriting if they are not Christians. They means if you are a Buddist, then you are insulting your own religion, but anyone is welcomed to join everyone else in Christmas, if you don't mind the fact that it's a Christian festival.

    Enough said.
    I dunno about your kind of Buddhist, but isn't it good karma to be happy for others? doesn't mean they are celebrating maybe they are just happy for their friends who are celebrating.

    ../azul123

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Is it ok to give umbrellas as X"mas present?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    Anyone know if there's a taboo about giving umbrellas for Christmas as gifts?

    thanks..
    It depends how often it rains in Singapore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •