Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP - Is Nikon D40 good?

Default Re: HELP - Is Nikon D40 good?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    if d40 got a problem, d50 is worse... d50 viewfinder is even smaller than d40.
    All the nikon cameras can produce good photos. Its working within the limitation of the camera you have. Understand how they work, and you will still get good photos. They are not miracle products designed to shoot perfect shots by themselves.

Back with film SLR, the usual range is 28 - 80mm. The 18-55mm kit lens for Nikon DSLR is extremely light. There is always the physical zooming too. Usually, 18-55 is the general range, unless its physically not possible to change your position or the position of your subject.

Its not the VF that affects your ability to MF. Its rather in the older film SLR, there is the focussing screen that you look through the VF that aid in MF. Nowadays with such good AF, I hardly ever use MF anyway.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

wah D40 & D50 sound not so good liao... den i go for D70 loz... how izit??

Quote Originally Posted by wing oscar View Post
    wah D40 & D50 sound not so good liao... den i go for D70 loz... how izit??
    people are commenting that the D40 has better noise controls as compared to the D70
    Nikon D7000 + 18-105mm kit, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f1.8, SB-600

fell free to use this thread wing oscar, all comments are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    All the nikon cameras can produce good photos. Its working within the limitation of the camera you have. Understand how they work, and you will still get good photos. They are not miracle products designed to shoot perfect shots by themselves.

Back with film SLR, the usual range is 28 - 80mm. The 18-55mm kit lens for Nikon DSLR is extremely light. There is always the physical zooming too. Usually, 18-55 is the general range, unless its physically not possible to change your position or the position of your subject.

Its not the VF that affects your ability to MF. Its rather in the older film SLR, there is the focussing screen that you look through the VF that aid in MF. Nowadays with such good AF, I hardly ever use MF anyway.
    but without the use of focusing screen, d40 will be slightly easier than d50 since the vf is bigger and brighter...

Quote Originally Posted by csiwei View Post
    people are commenting that the D40 has better noise controls as compared to the D70
    newer cameras usually have better noise control due to demand and quality of production.

Indeed, D70 is not good in this department. But I am not complaining coz the camera is more then good enough for me. Am I good enough for it. nah. never. =)

Regards,
    tltan

nikon d40 is just like eos 350d and eos 400d. all are too small to hold comdfortably like traditional SLR size.

they are meant more to compete with the other camera making company and to lure people, especially those without prior slr experience, into the world of dslr and slrs.

Quote Originally Posted by KiamH View Post
    fell free to use this thread wing oscar, all comments are welcomed.
    thax u...

so getting a D40 or D50 still best so far... i'm rite

Quote Originally Posted by csiwei View Post
    In terms of noise control, there is really no fight between the D70 and D40/50.

I owned the D50 for a while before switching to D70s, and immediately i could tell the noise difference. Yes, the difference is big if u ask me.

However, the buttons and controls on the D70s is really a darling to use. The light on the top panel, the separate apeture ring, the bracket, iso etc. buttons laid out properly for u to shoot on the fly quickly. And i like the weight of the D70s and its kit lens. The "feel" of the D70s is also very shiok compared to the D40/50 kit lens. [i know ppl will say its the image quality that matters, but i dun care, i love the robustness and solid built of the D70s kit lens]

just try to use iso 640 at max for D70s. Oh ya btw, for D50, u can adjust iso at 200, 400, 800, 1600. But for D70s, u can adjust at iso 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600. U can do much much more finer tunings for many functions in D70s
    Last edited by kcuf2; 16th December 2006 at 02:35 AM.

hmmm.. see what's your budget lor. the price difference between each of the cameras are a few hundred dollars or so, enough for you to invest in a couple of filters/cheap new lens/cheap flash or a bag or sthin..

i just got a second hand d50 and am really glad with it. my personal opinion is that, as a noob, you wont wanna spend too much on your first camera until you're completely sure of what you want/need in a camera. after that you can spend on a more expensive model..

just my 2cents worth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12