Thread: Any software to check CF card?

Default Any software to check CF card?

I just bought a 2GB CF card and intend to use it for an event shoot this weekend.

Heard of cases and had one prior experience myself of CF card with corrupted memory locations. If a file is saved over the bad location the picture will not be recoverable because the correct version was not saved in the first place.

Are there any software that will check the health of CF or other memory cards for such problems?

If my new card is a lemon then I would really hate to find that out during or after the event.

Thanks!

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Re: Any software to check CF card?

If I were in your position, what I'd try is to hook up the CF card to a PC/Mac, copy a whole bunch of randomly selected files to totally fill it up, then delete them all away, then copy another bunch to fill it up (to make sure the data is different each time). Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. If there are no errors, at least you have some additional confidence.

You will still not be 100% safe against those bad sectors that will crop up after some usage though. Memory cards are like hard disks in a way.

my Lexar ImageRescue2 has a check card function IIRC
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    If I were in your position, what I'd try is to hook up the CF card to a PC/Mac, copy a whole bunch of randomly selected files to totally fill it up, then delete them all away, then copy another bunch to fill it up (to make sure the data is different each time). Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. If there are no errors, at least you have some additional confidence.

You will still not be 100% safe against those bad sectors that will crop up after some usage though. Memory cards are like hard disks in a way.
    Would the error show up in the write operation? Somehow in my prior experience the camera did not complain when it wrote the image over the bad area but when I review the images the one that is written over the bad area is distorted.

Thanks!
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

speaking of which, I recall i did have a couple of shots that turn up halfway, so its the memory card problem? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    Would the error show up in the write operation? Somehow in my prior experience the camera did not complain when it wrote the image over the bad area but when I review the images the one that is written over the bad area is distorted.

Thanks!
    If you wanna be sure, read back the files from the memory card and do a binary compare with the original files written.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    If you wanna be sure, read back the files from the memory card and do a binary compare with the original files written.
    I kind of know I can do that, but was looking for a more automated way. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Can we use those Portable Harddisks like Nixvue? Copy the CF cards than do a verify? Will it work?

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    I kind of know I can do that, but was looking for a more automated way. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
    If you are familiar with the Windows command line, you can use the /V option of the COPY or XCOPY command which will read back after writing to verify the data is written properly.