Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wat is the diff between debit card and atm card??

Default Re: wat is the diff between debit card and atm card??

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    but seriously, dun apply for too many credit cards.. juz get 1 visa, 1 mastercard.. that will suffice..
    Learn to control, I have at least half a dozen of cards...each have their own advantage....and never went into trouble......the only trouble that I had is everytime must call up to request for annual subscription waiver

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Learn to control, I have at least half a dozen of cards...each have their own advantage....and never went into trouble......the only trouble that I had is everytime must call up to request for annual subscription waiver
    Got ask them to reimburse ur phone call..isn't it stupid to charge for subscription..remember, its them who need us..not us who need them..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Got ask them to reimburse ur phone call..isn't it stupid to charge for subscription..remember, its them who need us..not us who need them..
    Did you do that?

Anyhow it is true that card owner pay for the subscription in early day as it was still something exclusive and peolpe don't mind.....but not anymore now......unfortunately bank still retain this requirement and I guess it must be due to some regulatory issues such as anti competitive act etc....so they will do it on case by case basis or use it as bargaining power such as trading your reward point etc

So smart card holder should monitor your annivesary and redeem everything before it's due...incase they do not give in then you can jolly well terminate the card without much lost

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    mmm..i never try that before, but for ALL of my mcdonald's deliveries, i used my debit card because i dun have spare notes and coins arnd at home to pay the delivery man. And ya, thats another form of convenience

BTW, i would recommend u place lesser amount in the account linked to the debit card. eg. < $200 or < $500 or watever amount u can afford to lose.

Because for example the Mac delivery, u have to give the debit card number over the phone, so its a bit dangerous. For my case, i m quite "safe" because my debit card account regulary contains no more than $50 hhahaahha

yes, convenient it is. I remembered paying $600 for a bottle of cologne when it only costs $60 at Changi Airport. Cashier keyed in the wrong amount and I signed blindly

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    mmm..i never try that before, but for ALL of my mcdonald's deliveries, i used my debit card because i dun have spare notes and coins arnd at home to pay the delivery man. And ya, thats another form of convenience

BTW, i would recommend u place lesser amount in the account linked to the debit card. eg. < $200 or < $500 or watever amount u can afford to lose.

Because for example the Mac delivery, u have to give the debit card number over the phone, so its a bit dangerous. For my case, i m quite "safe" because my debit card account regulary contains no more than $50 hhahaahha
    wun u be paying $2 every month since your avg amount is below $500?

unless yours is some kind of student savings account
    Last edited by quekky; 13th December 2006 at 11:24 PM.

is POSB still offering the old debit card? The new GO card cannot be used for online or phone purchases

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    ATM card:
    - Use for withdrawal of cash from bank account at ATMs using a pin no.
    - NETS, a system for making purchases without needing to withdraw cash, but not widely supported by online purchases (eNETS)
    - Amount u can spend is limited by amount u have in ur account, and the daily withdrawal limit
    - Amount use is directly deducted from bank account

Credit card:
    - Usually known as VISA, MASTER, AMEX, etc.
    - Does not support NETS
    - Needs only signature for purchases over store front, needs card number and verification code for online purchases
    - Withdrawal of cash is allowed through means of a pin no., and only at designated machines that support CIRRUS
    - Amount u can spend is limited by bank, usually 2 times ur monthly income, no daily limit as long monthly limit is not hit
    - Amount used, have to be pay up monthly, by means of SAMS, AXS, linked to bank account, etc.

Debit card:
    - Is just like ATM card, with VISA or MASTER cards features, and supports NETS (Just like a Credit card that works like an ATM card)
    - Needs only signature for purchases over store front, needs card number and verification code for online purchases, needs pin no. for cash withdrawl at ATMs
    - (When in overseas)Withdrawal of cash is allowed through means of a pin no., and only at designated machines that support CIRRUS
    - (When in Singapore)Withdrawal of cash like an ATM card
    - Spending limited by amount in bank account and daily limit
    - Amount use is directly deducted from bank account

Above information is base on what i know, if any mistakes spotted pls advise..

Debit card is the way to go man..hassle free..spend what u have only, dun get urself in debts..
    - Just to correct your point. Visa card or Master card can support NETS, it is just an application that load into your plastic card, like PC software.

- Credit card and debit card are technically the same thing, it function exactly the same, the only different is the term of use and legal constraint impose by the bank. Just that you agree to allow the bank to deduct the money from your saving account for debit card for Credit card, you agree to pay the bank by certain time. In certain European countries, debit cards are more popular than credit card.

- there is a trends that magnetic cards are slowlyreplaced by smart chip especially European countries. If you use mag strip card in Europe, you might need to produce your identity to prove who you are.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong View Post
    - Just to correct your point. Visa card or Master card can support NETS, it is just an application that load into your plastic card, like PC software.

- Credit card and debit card are technically the same thing, it function exactly the same, the only different is the term of use and legal constraint impose by the bank. Just that you agree to allow the bank to deduct the money from your saving account for debit card for Credit card, you agree to pay the bank by certain time. In certain European countries, debit cards are more popular than credit card.

- there is a trends that magnetic cards are slowlyreplaced by smart chip especially European countries. If you use mag strip card in Europe, you might need to produce your identity to prove who you are.
    Thank you for the correction.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12