Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: expodisc/expocap

Default Re: expodisc/expocap

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    that's what i hear people say.but whenever i show my friends, they will tell me WB off.

(ok, i know.NPNT).
    Ahhh... if you need to replicate the image with accurate WB, then you have to try out those gadgets liow... so many out there, try a few and see for yourself lah, many people gave their input but ultimately only you can judge.

../azul123

that's what i hear people say.but whenever i show my friends, they will tell me WB off.

(ok, i know.NPNT).
    That's what I hear too. Auto WB is probably ok in daylight, but never found it to work well to satisfaction in indoor lighting, or even studio - only as a compromise. Not even daylight WB, or processing the RAW file under Nikon Capture or Photoshop satisfies me.

I almost always use WB Preset with a grey card or Expodisc on all my digital cameras, can't do without it. One can get away with it with people or artistic shots, but when I shoot products, there is no escape from the real color of the product, and only preset WB can give it justice, consistently. Even my point-and-shoot Canon digital camera has preset WB, and the reviewers praise this feature normally not found in cheap small cameras.

The grey card is great, and the Expodisc is different in that it includes a little part of the light's ambience on the final result. The grey card will really make a white item white in a yellow light environment for example, but the Expodisc will include just a wee bit of the ambient light. The Expodisc is undoubtedly expensive, but it's what I have not sold yet, it has become invaluable. I definitely find it more convenient unlike the rest, without worrying about shadows on the grey card, or where to keep the grey card. When I forget to use it, I can only go struggle and compromise with processing RAW WB ...

I did get the 77mm version for my lenses, and I can use it on my smaller lenses too.

Anyway, that's just me, different tastes ... Like I prefer my little $200 lens to its bigger legendary $2K+ brother (blasphemy to many who advocate it, or who haven't tried it yet ), so I guess the offer price of the Expodisc is still ok in comparison to the $25 Kodak grey card set
    Last edited by clubgrit; 16th December 2006 at 07:03 AM.

I have performed some un-scientific test using various means for White Balancing. These may not be conclusive but hopefully can help:

No post processing beside resizing & same degree of sharpening applied. Same exposure settings for all pics.

The AWB auto white balancing of the camera under some warm light:

WB using a kodak gray card:

WB using a lowepro pad detached from a lowepro bag:

WB using a piece of canon semi-gross photo paper SG-101:
    Last edited by Kongo; 25th December 2006 at 12:48 AM.

WB using the Expo-disc..

WB using the Gary Fong inverted dome:

I think all works better than the camera AWB. The effects varies slightly I can't really say for sure which is better, what do u think?

I do notice that the WB reference pics took using the inverted dome does not distribute the lights evenly, so you may hv greater chances to encounter inconsistent result using the inverted dome..
    Last edited by Kongo; 25th December 2006 at 12:40 AM.

i have used the gary fong dome. one of the best thing to help get WB on custom is to put the dome cover over the e lens to get a white balance. like the dome of a light meter.

the other is to get a translucent acryclic board from those art shop like sage city, art friend etc and cover over lens to get WB.

expodisc has little lens that helps focus light blah blah blah...they have to do that to justify charging 250 for it. cos nobody will pay 250 for a piece of white acrylic
    Last edited by surge; 25th December 2006 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    i have used the gary fong dome. one of the best thing to help get WB on custom is to put the dome cover over the e lens to get a white balance. like the dome of a light meter.
    Strange, Gary Fong never mention that the inverted dome is able to use it for custom white balance setting, I believe he will not recommend that also.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    the other is to get a translucent acryclic board from those art shop like sage city, art friend etc and cover over lens to get WB.

expodisc has little lens that helps focus light blah blah blah...they have to do that to justify charging 250 for it. cos nobody will pay 250 for a piece of white acrylic
    some reading about the spec of expodisec, from expodisc site.

a piece of professional grade gadget, come with professional grade of price.

you pay for what you want.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

what's the difference between the 2?

and does the $250 for the 77mm expodisc justify the price?
    wont it be 'troublesome' to take a reading everytime before you fire?
    cos diff lightings(shade and sun) i have to retake the scene?

and if it's useful, how come i did a search, already found a few people selling/sold it?

please share.
    expodisc are just unnecessary gimmicky devices

Quote Originally Posted by user111 View Post
    expodisc are just unnecessary gimmicky devices
    i dun really think it is unnecessary. but it is way overpriced. the expoamigo cost much cheaper, and it works beautifully for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123