Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: expodisc/expocap

Default Re: expodisc/expocap

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    d200 can set kelvin readings?sorry.me havent fiddle with it yet.
    it even can store 4 preset custom WB using a expodisc or white/grey card.

shooting raw can let u change ur WB using softwares like nikon capture...

so shoot in Auto mode, change them later (anyway, the Auto mode is pretty accurate already).

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    it even can store 4 preset custom WB using a expodisc or white/grey card.

shooting raw can let u change ur WB using softwares like nikon capture...

so shoot in Auto mode, change them later (anyway, the Auto mode is pretty accurate already).
    I thinking shooting RAW is only half the way there, then you have to guess what is the correct colour by looking at your screen to adjust close to what you think it correct. Having a white balance reference in one of the image will take away any guess work.

Just my 2cents input.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Can consider the zerocs wb filter (which you can get from SLCC in the mass order forum), for a cheaper alternative to the expodisc which I think is just as good. Using it now and find it quite useful, especially for indoor lighting.
    yup, i got it last month. Color became so nice.
    67-82mm can use it in smaller mm size.
    but u still have to observe its lighting...

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    nope
    for it to work the lightsource have to be on the card itself..or on the specific spot where it fall on
    if the lightsource is on u...place or just hold the card on one hand and preset yr camera against it on the other hand.
    if it at a specific location place the card at that location and preset from there...(damn leceh)

if using expo disc or diyed just covered the lens fully with the expodisc/ or the makeshift wb u just need to preset it against the light source.
    Is there a minimum area of the viewfinder which you must cover with the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Is there a minimum area of the viewfinder which you must cover with the card?
    ideally it should fill up the viewfinder
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    ideally it should fill up the viewfinder
    But if you are shooting with wide angle with something that is far away, and you have to measure the lightning far away, it is not really possible to fill up the view finder with the card.

There is also a limited distance you can stretch your hands holding the gray card in front of the camera to allow adequate lighting for measurement.

Sry for so many questions. Quite noob in it.

But if you are shooting with wide angle with something that is far away, and you have to measure the lightning far away, it is not really possible to fill up the view finder with the card.

There is also a limited distance you can stretch your hands holding the gray card in front of the camera to allow adequate lighting for measurement.

that the reason why i favoured the use of the white/grey lid
    u can cover yr lens with it
    another trick is to place the grey card at that particular spot and take a picture of it ...regardless of the changing lighting the grey card will be yr ref for wb when u do colour/wb adjustment in yr photoshop.
    Last edited by eow; 14th December 2006 at 05:40 PM.

Hi, Jeanie,

Do u happen to use the Garyfong lightsphere inverted dome??? If yes, actually u can use the lid to do a preset WB. Just cover the lid over ur lens and point the lens towards ur light source and do the preset. Remember to turn the AF off. It seems to be quite good. Have been using this for my event shooting. Learn this from someone in some photography forum. forget which forum liao. Hope this will help u. Cheers!

what's the difference between the 2?

and does the $250 for the 77mm expodisc justify the price?
    wont it be 'troublesome' to take a reading everytime before you fire?
    cos diff lightings(shade and sun) i have to retake the scene?

and if it's useful, how come i did a search, already found a few people selling/sold it?

please share.
    NOTE: dahaoren = 打好人 ;)

yes i have.infact i have both.cloudy and clear.
    so use the dome, set to manual focus and fire away,
    then use that pic for WB?
    i shall try it.

the only thing is i find it very leceh to go next to model, take a reading and set it.then change background, change location, got to do all over again.doh.

i'm a lazy photographer.

i shall try it.

the only thing is i find it very leceh to go next to model, take a reading and set it.then change background, change location, got to do all over again.doh.

i'm a lazy photographer.
    gave me yr D200 ........i shoot for u...
    Last edited by eow; 14th December 2006 at 11:21 AM.

hahaha.. i like eow's reply. hee...

u can preset WB without the need of capturing an image. i think the manual is in a better position to advice in preset WB. cloudy and clear? eerrr... what i know is the white translucent piece of lid that my friend always suan me that why i spend so much money on a plastic plate.

This method tends to give u a neutral WB and then u just minus abit to give u the desired warmness loh.

Lastly, don;t be lazy lah. or else Eow will shoot for you liao. hee...

i shall try it.

i'm a lazy photographer.

i shall try it.

i'm a lazy photographer.
    Then no need to set Custom WB, Nikon D200 Auto is very accurate already in normal lighting condition or should I say most common lighting condition.

Only if you need to die die must be chun chun (pardon my Hokkien) one, else no need waste money mah.

../azul123

Wah jeanie.. looks like you r planning to buy a lot of things wor, just collect year end bonus is it?

I hv one expodisc actually, it does work, but then after a while I noticed that most of the time I still prefer to use a gray card.. I don't feel that expodisc is easier or more convenient to use.

And I hv compared the result with using the inverted dome of the LS2, the effect is quite close so I guess it will be good to save that $250 for other purposes..

I'm quite interested to find out how does GFLS use to preset WB? Using a D50, and its auto WB is not that satisfying..

IMO, i think under normal lighting condition, AWB should not give u a lot of problems. At least my D70 survives under such lighting. it is mixed lighting that is tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Then no need to set Custom WB, Nikon D200 Auto is very accurate already in normal lighting condition or should I say most common lighting condition.

Only if you need to die die must be chun chun (pardon my Hokkien) one, else no need waste money mah.

../azul123

For me, the best Custom WB is using the Pringles Cap, hahah ... and I believe a lot of ppl here does the same ...

if you are outdoor or indoor, under the same light source, there is not much differents take you take white balance here or there.

you also can place the gray card in near your subject, shoot the gray card together with the subject, than during PS post production, take this image, use the the mid tone eyedropper of level or curve tool to click on the gray card, than the gray point are been set.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    I'm quite interested to find out how does GFLS use to preset WB? Using a D50, and its auto WB is not that satisfying..
    Quote Originally Posted by yumyum View Post
    For me, the best Custom WB is using the Pringles Cap, hahah ... and I believe a lot of ppl here does the same ...
    close enough for most people, but not that accurate.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post

../azul123

that's what i hear people say.but whenever i show my friends, they will tell me WB off.

(ok, i know.NPNT).

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Wah jeanie.. looks like you r planning to buy a lot of things wor, just collect year end bonus is it?

I hv one expodisc actually, it does work, but then after a while I noticed that most of the time I still prefer to use a gray card.. I don't feel that expodisc is easier or more convenient to use.

And I hv compared the result with using the inverted dome of the LS2, the effect is quite close so I guess it will be good to save that $250 for other purposes..

ya, and i'm very glad to say, this year bonus is good

really feel like buying a 600MM nikkor.
    i'm trying to distract myself by not thinking of photography.

so the domey of LS2 works huh.i shall try it and save the hard earned $250

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast