Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista Photo Competition

Default Re: Vista Photo Competition

i've uploaded something, but it seems that my pictures are not approved.

i wonder what is approved?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    i've uploaded something, but it seems that my pictures are not approved.

i wonder what is approved?!
    Wait for around 1 day for approval.
    Capture something different

... 4. Contest Theme and Categories; Participation and Eligibility.
    Any digital photograph submitted for the purposes of the Contest ("Submission") must have a landscape or scenery of a location in Singapore as its main feature, and the photograph must be taken within the Contest Period . The Contest is designated for amateur photographers only.....

I saw the galery, a lot of National Day fireworks or Singapore Fireworks Festival (or another photos) which are not taken within contest period (4 December 2006 to 21 January 2007)... Anybody can clarify on this?
    Your fastest camera is as fast as your slowest lens

Quote Originally Posted by HVB88 View Post
    Any digital photograph submitted for the purposes of the Contest ("Submission") must have a landscape or scenery of a location in Singapore as its main feature, and the photograph must be taken within the Contest Period . The Contest is designated for amateur photographers only.....

I saw the galery, a lot of National Day fireworks or Singapore Fireworks Festival (or another photos) which are not taken within contest period (4 December 2006 to 21 January 2007)... Anybody can clarify on this?
    It just means that those photos submitted, although having no chance of winning, would still be tied to the T&C that M$ can use for a limited period.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by HVB88 View Post

Download any random pic, check the exif and 95% chances are it's not taken after 4 Dec 2006. My 1st try was someone's pic taken in 2001 of the Singapore Skyline from BS Bridge. Makes me wonder whats the use of "approve / not appprove" when the organisers dont even check the exif. Now i better go dig up some old stuff and start uploading
    Last edited by kiama; 21st December 2006 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiama View Post
    Download any random pic, check the exif and 95% chances are it's not taken after 4 Dec 2006. My 1st try was someone's pic taken in 2001 of the Singapore Skyline from BS Bridge. Makes me wonder whats the use of "approve / not appprove" when the organisers dont even check the exif . Now i better go dig up some old stuff and start uploading
    It makes me wonder too...
    Your fastest camera is as fast as your slowest lens

Is digital touchup allowed?
    There's no email to write in to further enquire doubts?

Default Re: PhotoVista Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Yup, my 6mp file is 3.3 mb, id have to resize to like quality 8, which is not 'high resolution' IMO
    LOL not to poke fun.. but do you know the meaning of high resolution?
    There's no link between quality and resolution...

it's such photos that undermine the whole competition and makes the rest seems so ordinary. even when it's accepted is something unfair to others. http://www.vistaphotocontest.com/bro...d-6a861b46cd24

i went throught all, as of now, 376 photos and wonder why is this accepted. All others are somehow unique. The above is the internal of a typical HDB flat, somewhat unique, maybe but....

Quote Originally Posted by etegration View Post
    it's such photos that undermine the whole competition and makes the rest seems so ordinary. even when it's accepted is something unfair to others. http://www.vistaphotocontest.com/bro...d-6a861b46cd24

i went throught all, as of now, 376 photos and wonder why is this accepted. All others are somehow unique. The above is the internal of a typical HDB flat, somewhat unique, maybe but....
    it IS all the Vista some Singaporean gets.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    it IS all the Vista some Singaporean gets.
    i guess so...

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Now that stinks. So if I take a photo with my 4 MP camera from an age gone by, then it's not acceptable?

Geez...
    i've only got 5.

but then again, you could interpolate an image then submit. genuine fractals anyone?

you resize to be a 10 MP! no worries! haha
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

This contest not so well organised..

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    LOL not to poke fun.. but do you know the meaning of high resolution?
    There's no link between quality and resolution...
    Ok, my mistake, I do know what the meaning is, just wrote that without thinking.

Ok, high resolution is simply the number of pixels in an image, e.g. 6MP and above is the high resolution they are looking for in this contest.

What I meant was, trying to conform to the contest rules with a high resolution file (bigger size) means that quality will have to be reduced.

My bad, cheers for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Ok, my mistake, I do know what the meaning is, just wrote that without thinking.

Ok, high resolution is simply the number of pixels in an image, e.g. 6MP and above is the high resolution they are looking for in this contest.

What I meant was, trying to conform to the contest rules with a high resolution file (bigger size) means that quality will have to be reduced.

My bad, cheers for pointing that out.
    no worries mate.
    Quality doesn't matter that much I guess. Resolution does. Somewhat baffles me, but if someone is offering something that I want in exchange, they can have definitely have whatever they want.

*shrug* Why complain about what they want if I can get what I want?

"7. Intellectual Property Rights.
    By participating in the Contest, you hereby grant to the Organizer and/or its affiliates until 31 December 2007, a non-exclusive, fully transferable, irrevocable, royalty free, fully paid up right and license to, publish, promote, reproduce, distribute, publicly display your Submission in any and all media, including any compilation, as the Organizer and/or its affiliates see fit for any reason, to identify you as the author of the Submission and to authorize others to do any of the above without any obligation to notify or further compensate you.

In the event that you are one of the winners, you hereby grant to the Organizer and/or its affiliates a non-exclusive, fully transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free, fully paid up right and license to adapt, edit, modify, publish, promote, reproduce, distribute, publicly display and exploit your Submission and make derivative works based on your Submission in any and all media, including any compilation, as the Organizer and/or its affiliates see fit for any reason, to identify you as the author of the Submission and to authorize others to do any of the above without any obligation to notify or further compensate you."

Hi Guys,

Are they saying in para 1 of rule 7 that as long as you participate, they can use your photo until end Dec 07 even without winning? That would be super cheapskate. Cos para 1 & 2 are the same thing, just that 1 limits the use to end Dec 07. Or am I reading it wrong?

there are rules but they are not properly enforced; e.g., the eligibility period. it's kinda stupid of Microsoft that they allow people to upload their pictures taken outside of this period and give them a sense of false hope.

i take it that if my upload is accepted, my pictures are eligible for the contest. period.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Hi Guys,

I got a reply from them regarding photos taken during contest period and out of contest period.... *Below is the reply, some part of the email have been deleted* I wonder what they replied make sense or not...

From Email
    Hi XXX,

Thank you for your interest in the PhotoVista Competition.

In the Terms and Conditions listed in the website, under Section 4, it states,

4. Contest Theme and Categories; Participation and Eligibility.
    Any digital photograph submitted for the purposes of the Contest ("Submission") must have a landscape or scenery of a location in Singapore as its main feature, and the photograph must be taken within the Contest Period (This part was highlighted by them). The Contest is designated for amateur photographers only. Photographs submitted by professional photographers will be ineligible and removed from the Contest. The Organizer will at its sole discretion determine eligibility. The Contest consists of the Amateur and Youth categories. To participate in either of the categories, you must (i) be a Singaporean or a Singapore permanent resident; (ii) be a non-professional photographer; (iii) log on to the Contest website, located at http://www.vistaphotocontest.com (the "Contest Site") and follow the instructions to register as a participant and complete and submit an entry as specified. To participate in the Youth category, you must comply with the above criteria and be born on or after 1st January 1988.

The judges will, at their discretion, review and determine the winning entries according to the rules of the competition.

All winning decisions and judgments are final.

There are less than 2 weeks left of the contest, do continue to submit entries and encourage your friends to do so.

Good Luck and happy snapping!

PhotoVista Competition Organizing Committee

They dont want to waste their time to check the contest period of an uploaded photo. I wonder how do they check the date. Is it from Exif? or the file creation date? Anyway both can be modified using the third party software. However, have to do it wisely. Dont modify the dates where photo showing the fireworks festival.hahaha.
    Last edited by donkuok; 10th January 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast