Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: japan!

Default Re: japan!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone View Post
    hi guys. im gg to japan....tokyo to be exact. will be looking to buy a 400D and either a tokina 12-24 or ef-s 10-22mm. any idea where i can buy these from? i heard something about yodobashi (spelling?),....is that correct? any idea abt the prices too?

also, are there any recommended sights to see in tokyo? i will be there from 19-24 dec, 5 days in total.

lastly, how do i get about without japanese? they dont speak english there right? just use sign language ar?
    You won't have a problem with language as the sales people there understand basic english even if they can't speak it too well.

Recommended sights are Hakone, Fuji Five Lakes region and the Fish market. You have only 5 days so don't count on doing much more - it takes some time to travel to each destination even in the city itself - distances are greater over there.

For camera equipment at better prices than Yodobashi and Sakuraya - check out Map camera.

And refer to www.japan-guide.com for more sightseeing info.
    Last edited by Tetrode; 13th December 2006 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dior86 View Post
    Just came back from Tokyo in sept... think for cam u can try Akihabara

as for sight seeing ah... hakone.. if wan to can travel up to fuji.. if u taking bullet train.. heard can kelong buy child tickets... cos they dun check

Others will be shinjuku lar, shibuya, ueno, etc... btw dun go to the aquarium in sun city.. alamak.. waste $$.. BKK paragon aquarium much much better...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    They DUN CHECK? U sure abt it? I kena ticket inspections on all my Shinkansen rides.

Talk abt giving ppl bad advice and cheat on tickets.
    Dior86,

Dont mislead people with bad & false information. They conduct ticket inspections on the trains.

When I was there last month, Akasuka temple was going through restoration works - makes no diff since I have seen it a few times

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    When I was there last month, Akasuka temple was going through restoration works - makes no diff since I have seen it a few times
    Till date (as of last week) they still are.

Sensoji Temple is the technically correct name. Asakusa is the surrounding town.

There's the Namakise also, worth a visit. Interesting stuff + food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    You won't have a problem with language as the sales people there understand basic english even if they can't speak it too well.

Recommended sights are Hakone, Fuji Five Lakes region and the Fish market. You have only 5 days so don't count on doing much more - it takes some time to travel to each destination even in the city itself - distances are greater over there.

For camera equipment at better prices than Yodobashi and Sakuraya - check out Map camera.

And refer to www.japan-guide.com for more sightseeing info.
    woah..thanks man. the prices on map camera look more sane. about $1027 for the 400D.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    There's BIC Camera
    BIC Camera shop is FANTASTIC!!!

hmm anyone has the website of BIC so i can check out the price?

update: 400D at $1027SGD and tokina 12-24mm at $623 SGD all at MAP Camera (not sure if it's 2nd hand tho...cant read jap...sigh)

does anyone have the address of Map Camera? i only managed to find out that it's at the west side of the shinjuku station.
    Last edited by Isaiahfortythirtyone; 13th December 2006 at 10:38 PM.

update: 400D at $1027SGD and tokina 12-24mm at $623 SGD all at MAP Camera.

does anyone have the address of Map Camera? i only managed to find out that it's at the west side of the shinjuku station.
    Shinjuku Station is big. I guess West Entrance is the west exit of JR Shinjuku. The Tokyu Hands in Takashimaya there is BIG

update: 400D at $1027SGD and tokina 12-24mm at $623 SGD all at MAP Camera (not sure if it's 2nd hand tho...cant read jap...sigh)

Map is cheaper - trust me - they have tax free prices for travellers which are cheaper than their online prices. The Big three - Yodobashi, Sakuraya and Bic cannot match Map's prices even with the 10 point discount card. Once you are there and checked out the prices you will know what I mean. But bring cash or traveller cheques - their nets machines have problems with Sgrean Credit Card mag stripes.

Another store that is worth checking out bec it is near Shinjuku - (it is in the next suburb - Nakano) is called Fujiya camera - but only to have a look coz they have some stuff the rest no longer stock and lots of 2nd hand gear. But their prices still can't match Map camera.

If you need maps of the stores - check out www.photojpn.org.

Don't spend too much time at the stores - spend more time at Hakone and the Fuji Fives lakes areas taking pics. Have a good time! You lucky sod. I'm envious.

kind of agree. On my trip to Japan last month I only managed time to drop by at yodabashi and bic camera and the prices there was not very attractive, in the end never buy anything due to the language hassle.

Did not know about MAP at that time...

They also have pretty nice 2nd-hand stuff in Mapcamera! And I paid my 2nd-hand stuff using my CC, no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Map is cheaper - trust me - they have tax free prices for travellers which are cheaper than their online prices. The Big three - Yodobashi, Sakuraya and Bic cannot match Map's prices even with the 10 point discount card. Once you are there and checked out the prices you will know what I mean. But bring cash or traveller cheques - their nets machines have problems with Sgrean Credit Card mag stripes.

Another store that is worth checking out bec it is near Shinjuku - (it is in the next suburb - Nakano) is called Fujiya camera - but only to have a look coz they have some stuff the rest no longer stock and lots of 2nd hand gear. But their prices still can't match Map camera.

If you need maps of the stores - check out www.photojpn.org.

Don't spend too much time at the stores - spend more time at Hakone and the Fuji Fives lakes areas taking pics. Have a good time! You lucky sod. I'm envious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12