Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Is that artillery piece some version of M110 ?
    its an M110...that's quite an old image...I've got a book somewhere which has that image...

Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    No wonder when Bush come, all traffic must stop...
    we have to stop, because we are a garden city and you must not knock down any trees or bushes. NParks say one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    Warfare is not just about having the latest and greatest weapons. Intelligence, tactics and logistics play a very critical role as well.

In the Desert Storm, the american tanks could only travel as far as their loggies could follow, even tho their tanks had a much further combat range.

When you buy weapons, you also need to factor in the maintenance needs and compatibility of that system with what you currently have in your arsenal.

One Asean country bought MIG fighters. Powerful fighter that were touted to be equal to the F16 but the last i heard, several of them are not air worthy any more due to the lack of spare parts. They even cannibalize a couple of them for spares, so that they could fly them at their national day parade.

Are the MiG manuals in English or not?

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    we have to stop, because we are a garden city and you must not knock down any trees or bushes. NParks say one.
    yah, NParks very on...they know how many trees there are on the side of each road...I kid you not...

Warfare is not just about having the latest and greatest weapons. Intelligence, tactics and logistics play a very critical role as well.

In the Desert Storm, their tanks could only travel as far as their loggies could follow, even tho their tanks had a much further combat range.

When you buy weapons, you also need to factor in the maintenance needs and compatibility of that system with what you currently have in your arsenal.

One Asean country bought MIG fighters. Powerful fighter that were touted to be equal to the F16 but the last i heard, several of them are not air worthy any more due to the lack of spare parts. They even cannibalize a couple of them for spares, so that they could fly them at their national day parade.
    True... BUT what I meant was can we afford to allow our enemy to have 1st strike? Even if we win the war, we probably can't afford the loss that we sustain initailly...

Intelligence is always the 1st line of defence however all it takes is for someone in charge to screw up and we can end up like Israel without Sinai as a buffer...

some strategic thinking is that we are in a position to absorb a first wave of attack, and convert that to political leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    yah, NParks very on...they know how many trees there are on the side of each road...I kid you not...
    You just need to look out for one Bush... Trees a lot for show only...

some strategic thinking is that we are in a position to absorb a first wave of attack, and convert that to political leverage.
    We did do some preparation for that to our military assets... But our civilian assets...

Personally I felt that we should at least have an answer to MLRS... At least have the capability to shoot down their rockets when it is launch lah...

Yeah, I agree. Altho depending on the circumstances, we may strike first to establish a buffer zone.

We did do some preparation for that to our military assets... But our civilian assets...

Personally I felt that we should at least have an answer to MLRS... At least have the capability to shoot down their rockets when it is launch lah...
    you can't shoot down 48 rockets lah. but have you heard of the metal storm gun? It was tested earlier this year in Singapore.

Yeah, I agree. Altho depending on the circumstances, we may strike first to establish a buffer zone.
    yes meaning the politician now has an extra option, last time no choice but to strike first, not so flexible.

you can't shoot down 48 rockets lah. but have you heard of the metal storm gun? It was tested earlier this year in Singapore.
    Nope... Never heard... Share leh...

heehee.. what makes you think we don't have already?

heehee.. what makes you think we don't have already?
    Hmmm... Care to share? Of course if OSA then never mind loh...

Nope... Never heard... Share leh...
    go and google lah. basically it is a gun (from Austsralia) that uses electronic pulse to fire metal slugs and using multiple launch tubes can achieve a rate of fire of 1,000,000 rpm. In practical terms, this system will launch a wall of metal slugs in the path of the incoming projectile and destroying it by impact.

go and google lah. basically it is a gun (from Austsralia) that uses electronic pulse to fire metal slugs and using multiple launch tubes can achieve a rate of fire of 1,000,000 rpm. In practical terms, this system will launch a wall of metal slugs in the path of the incoming projectile and destroying it by impact.

Sounds like rail gun to me. Big problem is you need a very powerful generator to supply the power.

Anyway regarding the F15SG, I think it's just a fill-in jet until the JSF is ready for production. Don't even need runway. VTOL from multi-storey carpark.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Sounds like rail gun to me. Big problem is you need a very powerful generator to supply the power.

Anyway regarding the F15SG, I think it's just a fill-in jet until the JSF is ready for production. Don't even need runway. VTOL from multi-storey carpark.

aha! now I see why the top floor of the carparks are always roofless

I always thought the AVLB will be the most impressive thing on NDP.

I remember the first time I saw one. I was posted to 38SCE for AE conversion in 81, the 3-tonner had to scramble to the road side to allow this rumbling thing to pass. our blue beret already turned to red with the dust, and when we peeped out of the back, we saw this HUGE thing towering over head, all your bones vibrating along when the AVLB driver steps on his accelerator.

For the young chappies, Sungei Gedong in the old days, is mud track all the way from LCK road, no surfacing. Going back camp is like having to topo through Area D
    Now still the worst of all camps. Go there make grown man weep.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Now still the worst of all camps. Go there make grown man weep.
    you got to be kidding, now the place is so nice liao. like that all the old camps will sure to make you weep

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast