Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 373

Thread: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

  1. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by daniellyt View Post
    U're right, the AH64 are just the right stuff to knock the MA MBTs off the ground.
    Sounds like winning modern warfare is no longer who has the better and more equipment, it is about who can punch 1st...

    The have their anti-aircraft missiles to deal with our AH64s too... Sound like a roundabout leh...

  2. #82
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    hurray , finally ( we can admit ) we have MBT liao.
    This tank is abit out dated by today's standard. First production was in 1980s... Its almost 30 years ago... I was quite surpise why dont we built our own tank... An indigenious one...

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    This tank is abit out dated by today's standard. First production was in 1980s... Its almost 30 years ago... I was quite surpise why dont we built our own tank... An indigenious one...
    SG is like tt, buy old tank for cheap price than later super upgrade with our own tech ma...AMX15, Skyhawk, F-5E, Howitzer 155 (we made it mobile)...subs.....
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  4. #84
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    SG is like tt, buy old tank for cheap price than later super upgrade with our own tech ma...AMX15, Skyhawk, F-5E, Howitzer 155 (we made it mobile)...subs.....
    The F-15J too... Buying what USAF dont want... USAF already into 4th G already, so of their planes are 5th G (stealth plus combat capabitlies)...

    Even China has its own stealth warplane project called J-10XX...

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    This tank is abit out dated by today's standard. First production was in 1980s... Its almost 30 years ago... I was quite surpise why dont we built our own tank... An indigenious one...
    Outdated nevermind lah. As long as can beat our neighbours can oredi.
    Look at the M16, Vietnam war oredi using.

  6. #86
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    wah 47,000 cc the road tax damn jialat, need to increase GST by 3 more % heehee.
    V12 47 litres, turbo diesel, but how much bhp? But doesn't matter lah... i already read top speed is 72km/h...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    The F-15J too... Buying what USAF dont want... USAF already into 4th G already, so of their planes are 5th G (stealth plus combat capabitlies)...

    Even China has its own stealth warplane project called J-10XX...
    Build your own very ex, especially small force like SG one, can't recover the R&D costs.
    Anyway, the US (or any other country) will never sell you their latest stuff one. Those export versions are not as good as their own versions one. Outwardly look very similar but those electronic black boxes inside they keep updating and are top secret.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    You kuku. Its 15m tall only... But all terrain.

    Yah. It goes along the line of that, but actually urs is the predecessor.

    This is the improved version:


    DSTA is also working on a prototype that has a top secret technology built into it.


    The name of the advanced shielding is called "Lambda Driver" where it translates the pilot's willpower, focus and concentration into physical energy.

    SHhhhh.....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    and custom made shells for the 200mm gun from depleted uranium cores.
    did you not read that DSTA report? they have successfully recycled hugely compressed durian shells to replace the DU. it is environmentally friendly, being non-radioactive and also recycles fruit waste, plus it is better performing than DU. the microstructure of the durian spine apparently has 900mm penentrative power which means even the M1 frontal armour cannot resist our APDSFS (Armour Piercing Durian Shell, Fruit Spine) round.

    only down side is, DS is now a strategic material, and in order not to being held ransom by ODEC (Organisation of Durian Exporting Countries), all large trees along ECP and other major roads will be replaced with Durian trees. By 2011 we will become self-reliant on this strategic DS.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 12th December 2006 at 02:50 PM.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    But seriously, unless they zhng the leopard 2, it's quite hard to match even the last version of Abrams or Mervaka.
    yah but we are unlikely to find those guys around the neighbourhood. you don't have to out run the bear, just out run your friend. remember?

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post

    Wah... MRLS... I am astonish Singapore did not respond by buying it too...

    the MLRS looks impressive when fired, but these are unguided rockets and have very poor accuracy, compared to howitzers and long range mortars. However I think there may be guided versions of the munition. Another draw back is that once a salvo is fired it takes a long time to reload the launcers.

    With the cargo rounds these days, I think long range howitzers is a better option. The FH2000 is 52 caliber, while the ABG has their organic 39 caliber Primus. The ABG don't need such long range as they would deal with threats directly in front of them. The SAF planners know what they are doing.

  12. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    The Rooivalk is a joke.
    nah come on, its not that bad is it?

  13. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by daniellyt View Post
    U're right, the AH64 are just the right stuff to knock the MA MBTs off the ground.
    let's keep the discussion to the equipment, yah?

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    This tank is abit out dated by today's standard. First production was in 1980s... Its almost 30 years ago... I was quite surpise why dont we built our own tank... An indigenious one...
    read through the thread please, there will be another one.

  15. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    The F-15J too... Buying what USAF dont want... USAF already into 4th G already, so of their planes are 5th G (stealth plus combat capabitlies)...

    Even China has its own stealth warplane project called J-10XX...

    we didn't buy old F-15 (and certainly not F-15J, that's the Jap variant). Unlike the Leopard 2 we're getting from Germany, the F-15T (we get T because S already taken by the Saudi) are new air frames with the latest avionic options. Only the air frame design is 30 years old, the rest are all new.

    The Leopard 2 (like the subs) on the other hand, are actually old hulls. However armoured hulls can last practically forever. Knowing our pattern of doing things, ST Engineering would probably put in a retrofit about 5 years from now and make it into a super duper Leopard S

    If you have seen the M113 Ultra compared to the original, man you'd faint. These are A1 and A2 hulls, older than most of you guys here

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    V12 47 litres, turbo diesel, but how much bhp? But doesn't matter lah... i already read top speed is 72km/h...
    1500bhp mah, your eyes never zero huh?

  17. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    the MLRS looks impressive when fired, but these are unguided rockets and have very poor accuracy, compared to howitzers and long range mortars. However I think there may be guided versions of the munition. Another draw back is that once a salvo is fired it takes a long time to reload the launcers.

    With the cargo rounds these days, I think long range howitzers is a better option. The FH2000 is 52 caliber, while the ABG has their organic 39 caliber Primus. The ABG don't need such long range as they would deal with threats directly in front of them. The SAF planners know what they are doing.
    From what I understand... The current MLRS are pretty accurate and the fire power is huge.

    1 MLRS could out-gun and out-range 5 howitzers... Plus it is very mobile, makes it a very hard target to find...

    Do we have the capability to take them out 1st or at least have the deterrent to warn our enemy not to fire into residential or non-military targets?

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    From what I understand... The current MLRS are pretty accurate and the fire power is huge.

    1 MLRS could out-gun and out-range 5 howitzers... Plus it is very mobile, makes it a very hard target to find...

    Do we have the capability to take them out 1st or at least have the deterrent to warn our enemy not to fire into residential or non-military targets?
    I don't think so but I don't have the data on hand. The MLRS rockets have a large dispersion rate. Way larger than howitzer rounds. Our friends up north also do not have the long range rockets. Plus it is no where as mobile as the Primus, for example.

  19. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Compare the crater created by 155mm howitzer round with the bomblets from MLRS.
    I think MLRS has good coverage, useful for blanketing an area.
    Howitzer rounds can do some heavy damage to fortified positions, firing from a battery.
    Each got it's own use and cannot replace the other.

  20. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Compare the crater created by 155mm howitzer round with the bomblets from MLRS.
    I think MLRS has good coverage, useful for blanketing an area.
    Howitzer rounds can do some heavy damage to fortified positions, firing from a battery.
    Each got it's own use and cannot replace the other.
    precisely, it is good we are not having any of these not-so-accurate big-hole-creating ammunition. In any conflict you want to crater the runway, but not the kampong next to it. Given the nature of our area of ops, I don't think we should use MLRS, not to mention we have a large inventory of heavy artillery.

    However, Malaysia have other neighbours too, and in those other areas of ops, MLRS may be useful.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •