Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 373

Thread: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Ok, u guys quit it.

    I am not allowed to say it, but those tanks are actually just training tools and toys. The real deals are actually bipedal mechas. Currently the largest one that we have is approximately 100m tall, armed with 50mm gattling cannon and a specially made 200mm main gun. Reactive armour on all sides and custom made shells for the 200mm gun from depleted uranium cores.

    One of the tests actually included the complete destruction of a AMX tank with just a step and survivng the explosion. But due to motor adjustment problems, the mecha has got a little stability problem to-date since the fragments from the metal shreds of the tank would damage the stepping foot. DSTA engineers are currently working hard to increase the armour rating on the foot.

    Subsequent versions shld come with a MRLS pack on the shoulder and missile jamming sensor arrays.
    You kuku. Its 15m tall only... But all terrain.


  2. #62

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    if you are not allowed to say it, then why say?
    if this is classified information and you are spilling it all over the internet, isn't it a serious offence?
    I dunno whether to laugh or cry

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    I knew I'm not that confused. Its in wikipedia, 79 Leopard 1 AS1 with 105mm rifled gun to be replaced by 59 M1. The first one arrived in Sep 2006.
    But seriously, unless they zhng the leopard 2, it's quite hard to match even the last version of Abrams or Mervaka.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Ok, u guys quit it.

    I am not allowed to say it, but those tanks are actually just training tools and toys. The real deals are actually bipedal mechas. Currently the largest one that we have is approximately 100m tall, armed with 50mm gattling cannon and a specially made 200mm main gun. Reactive armour on all sides and custom made shells for the 200mm gun from depleted uranium cores.

    One of the tests actually included the complete destruction of a AMX tank with just a step and survivng the explosion. But due to motor adjustment problems, the mecha has got a little stability problem to-date since the fragments from the metal shreds of the tank would damage the stepping foot. DSTA engineers are currently working hard to increase the armour rating on the foot.

    Subsequent versions shld come with a MRLS pack on the shoulder and missile jamming sensor arrays.
    Don't forget about our navy ships which can transform into fighting mecha also.
    Dun pray pray.. SAF is 3G army ok.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Likely a joke...

    How can any of our bridges support that amount of weight?

    Singapore would definitely agree to build new causeway if we are really going to for such big armour monsters...
    They are equipped with JATO rocket thrusters for air mobility

  6. #66

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    I dunno whether to laugh or cry
    oops... left out my smiley.
    hahaha...

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    They are equipped with JATO rocket thrusters for air mobility
    Transformer?

  8. #68

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Transformer?
    This makes me feel like digging up my mechwarrior 4 cd tonight when I get home

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    They are equipped with JATO rocket thrusters for air mobility
    Yup. Jump Jets for short.



    For longer deployments. We have:



    (For illustration purpose only) Full size about 350m long and 200m wide. Nothing smaller than 205mm can pierce through the armour.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    This makes me feel like digging up my mechwarrior 4 cd tonight when I get home
    Haha. I miss my 4 UAC 10 which could take down a kodiak in 5 secs.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    This makes me feel like digging up my mechwarrior 4 cd tonight when I get home
    Me? I am thinking of the advert for Double A Paper when the copier transform into robot...

    OT aside... Why do you think Singapore is now willing to admit to buying MBTs? Is it our neighbours have already started buying MBTs as well?

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    They bought more than a few. Got spare parts or not I not sure.

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    Don't forget about our navy ships which can transform into fighting mecha also.
    Dun pray pray.. SAF is 3G army ok.
    the new force is so dependent on technology... not so wise.

  14. #74
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Me? I am thinking of the advert for Double A Paper when the copier transform into robot...

    OT aside... Why do you think Singapore is now willing to admit to buying MBTs? Is it our neighbours have already started buying MBTs as well?
    55 tons of metal.... where can we use it? Hmmmmm
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  15. #75

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    OT aside... Why do you think Singapore is now willing to admit to buying MBTs? Is it our neighbours have already started buying MBTs as well?

    Extract from Wikipedia
    The Malaysian Army is getting 48 Twardy PT-91 main battle tanks from Poland. Last major procurement was the Astros MRLS from Brazil. MA is rapidly mechanizing its current inventory where 211 Adnan IFVs (Infantry Fighting Vehicle) has been acquired by the army in 2004. The MA is also looking forward to strengthen its anti-armor capabilities such as the discussion of purchasing South African Rooivalk Attack Helicopter and the recent procurement of the Pakistani Bakhtar-Shikan Anti-armor missile launcher, installed on the Adnans.


    Military muscles bulging in SE Asia
    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/HE03Ae03.html
    By David Isenberg

    KUALA LUMPUR - Southeast Asia's arms market is booming, as governments in the region shell out funds for everything from light arms to fighter jets in a gathering race to keep pace with their neighbors. Asia, driven mostly by China and India, has in recent years emerged as the largest developing-world market for arms sales, accounting for nearly half of all global purchases made between 2001 and 2004.....
    Last edited by Hobbesyeo; 12th December 2006 at 11:34 AM.

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    [QUOTE=Hobbesyeo;2681766]Extract from Wikipedia
    The Malaysian Army is getting 48 Twardy PT-91 main battle tanks from Poland. Last major procurement was the Astros MRLS from Brazil. MA is rapidly mechanizing its current inventory where 211 Adnan IFVs (Infantry Fighting Vehicle) has been acquired by the army in 2004. The MA is also looking forward to strengthen its anti-armor capabilities such as the discussion of purchasing South African Rooivalk Attack Helicopter and the recent procurement of the Pakistani Bakhtar-Shikan Anti-armor missile launcher, installed on the Adnans.
    QUOTE]

    Wah... MRLS... I am astonish Singapore did not respond by buying it too...

    Seems like MA are purchasing their toys from countries with lower technological know how? So cost is much lower than what we are paying?

    Smart move?
    Last edited by Wowee; 12th December 2006 at 11:43 AM.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    The Rooivalk is a joke.

    Btw the PT-91 is based on the T-72 hull which is what our AH-64s are meant to pop

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Wah... MRLS... I am astonish Singapore did not respond by buying it too...

    Seems like MA are purchasing their toys from countries with lower technological know how? So cost is much lower than what we are paying?

    Smart move?
    I doubt its in the same league as the US MLRS. They got a bigger area to cover also.

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    arr.....does those tanks come with BMW engines?
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  20. #80

    Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

    U're right, the AH64 are just the right stuff to knock the MA MBTs off the ground.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •