Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

Default Re: Finally, Singapore purchase new Main Battle Tank : Leopard 2A4

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    No, I have never heard of it before. Not in our unit nor other units besides ours. This is not a standard item, if it is, then every members of the units should receive one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    as far as I know it is standard item in Armour.
    Are you guys from the same army or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    I was in the Armour at the sungei gedong camp.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I am very curious. Since when did you receive such item? From the start of SARS? Me and all the members of our unit did not receives such item in our 2 1/2 years NSF, plus ten years of NS.
    back in the 80s already we have it.

yah leh. I am with the Singapore Armed Forces, heehee.

OK can we get back to the Leopard 2?

back in the 80s already we have it.
    Everyone has it? If this is so, then there is a different standard in the armour units.

One gets better treatment than the others?

After reading 2 CSers about their 1st hand experience in Armour... Both agreed that it is HOT...

I felt that installing air-conditioning is not impossible for SAF... After all the leopard is "air protected"... Can't we just spend a little more money and give our tankies more comfort instead of "small fan blowing at their balls".

If other countries with no $$ then no choice lah but Singapore...

you siao ah. we so damn happy when heard that we posted to armour. because all the ammo box can carry lychee, longan, mix fruit, etc etc.

After half day in the oven, become rotten fruit juice...

I think air-conditioning is not for comfort, but part of the NBC suite. also not to forget, it gets damn cold at night.

actually it isn't as hot as you think. only the driver who has to drive with hatch closed but he has a big ventilator. the commander is up in the open air and so are the troopers at the back. for the tankies especially the loader and gunner I presume they will also have enough ventilation.

actually it is better to have ambient temperature with ventilation then air conditioning. because when you go outside your glasses (you should know how many percent of us wear glasses) will fog over and also easy to fall sick with the sudden change.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 14th December 2006 at 02:38 PM.

I think air-conditioning is not for comfort, but part of the NBC suite. also not to forget, it gets damn cold at night.
    True... But I guess, in our region, the heat is more of a problem than dealing with NBC issues...

Not sure about this but if have air-conditioning, it would come with temperature control?

Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    True... But I guess, in our region, the heat is more of a problem than dealing with NBC issues...

Not sure about this but if have air-conditioning, it would come with temperature control?
    you can't have air conditioning when the command and gunner hatch is open. and like I said, heat is usually not a problem once you get use to it. in shoalwater bay it is much much hotter you know.

plus, you don't have air con when the engine is not running, which is actually the hottest unless you happen to find a shaded spot or your camou net dont' have too many holes haha.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 14th December 2006 at 02:51 PM.

you can't have air conditioning when the command and gunner hatch is open. and like I said, heat is usually not a problem once you get use to it. in shoalwater bay it is much much hotter you know.
    Well... Of course I am not expecting it to be as cold as the air-conditioning in our normal office but I meant where air could be made cooler before being blown into the tank...

At least cooler air blowing at the balls much more comfortable than hot air?

the ventilator is quite cooling, at least the one for the M113 driver. commander is already cooling enough as long as the vehicle is moving. Bionix I don't know, after my time liao. I don't know why you guys are so concerned with the heat. I haven't met any armour trooper suffering heat stroke for merely squatting in a tank.

How do the Israelis do it, do they turn on the a/c only when they "button up" ?

How do the Israelis do it, do they turn on the a/c only when they "button up" ?
    for the APC the Isreali troopers actually prefer sitting on top rather than inside. What I'm trying to say here, is that people are more concerned about operations and staying alive, then worrying about comfort.

I mean the infantry in the jungle are sweating buckets too, is that a problem?

for the APC the Isreali troopers actually prefer sitting on top rather than inside. What I'm trying to say here, is that people are more concerned about operations and staying alive, then worrying about comfort.

I mean the infantry in the jungle are sweating buckets too, is that a problem?
    Er... Not in armour but i thought APC is meant to provide protection to the troopers? Sitting on top make them open targets right?

Yup, I definitely agree with the part on staying alive... But I guess we just felt that Singapore has the $$ to make a tankie's life better, why not spend it? It is possible, if bo pian then LL loh...

D BIG question now is...... Do we really need them ??? Wouldn't it better 2 use dat money 2 help d POOR
    Canon 5D,30D,35mm F1.4L,135mm F2L,85mm F1.8 & 270/580 EX/Metz 45 CL/4

this is not the latest one. But the question is whether this one is enough for singapore army at this moment. I think it is.

Yeah, same thing with the troopers in the Vietnam war, they like to ride on top and are more scared of mines than being shot by the enemy. I heard they take turns to drive because the driver must sit inside, but some smart guy even rigged some extension to the driving controls so the driver can also sit on top.

Nowadays got to contend with RPGs as well. A cheap RPG can do some bad damage to your million-dollar MBT. Do you guys think ST will install those "blazer" reactive armour on the 2A4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Er... Not in armour but i thought APC is meant to provide protection to the troopers? Sitting on top make them open targets right?

Yup, I definitely agree with the part on staying alive... But I guess we just felt that Singapore has the $$ to make a tankie's life better, why not spend it? It is possible, if bo pian then LL loh...
    sitting on top you at most get hit with bullets or shrapnels. chances of actually dying is not very high. sitting inside, especially the thin-skinned (relatively speaking) M113, you will be cooked when a HEAT round penetrates or vapourise the aluminum armour. chances of dying is almost guaranteed.

tankie's life is not bad already lah. at least don't have to hump the route on your feet like infantry. or be beast of burden like combat engineers. I have done all three and I can say I much prefer to be in a tank or APC

Quote Originally Posted by mamangrock View Post
    D BIG question now is...... Do we really need them ??? Wouldn't it better 2 use dat money 2 help d POOR
    Hmmm.... We would always have the poor mah... If we help ALL the poor to elevate up, where got excuse for 7% GST... Then next few years how to go to 10% GST?

Buy Tanks better... Can also boost national pride...

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718 ... LastLast