Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Sunset @ Construction Site

  1. #1
    Member xllms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AngMoKio, Singapore
    Posts
    83

    Default Sunset @ Construction Site



    pls give the most honest critique...image taken with panasonic LX2

    xllms
    Last edited by xllms; 11th December 2006 at 10:39 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    pic too small to give coments...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Member juLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    273

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    where is the sunset?

  4. #4
    Member xllms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AngMoKio, Singapore
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    has uploaded a larger image

    hope it helps

    it is taken at pioneer walk area

    xllms

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    Where is the Sun and the associated warm colour? I only see cool blue sky and a structure that doesn't seem to tell me its from a construction site either.....sorry for being frank about my feel.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    You have shot an eastern sky at sunset, hence no red tinge to the sky
    The Sky is flat & blue, nothing to see

    The struture in the picture is rather nondescript,no intresting shadow play
    What were you trying to show or what aroused your interest in this picture ?

    On the plus side there is very little clutter

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    an interesting play of triangles! in the pleasure of things, the pleasure of geometry extends into all forms of arts. it's an enjoyable image, and converting this into a black and white will enhance it.

    but i think the image lacks purity. if only the image is filled with just 'triangles'.

    and yes just to add, the title don't match the image very well.
    Last edited by eikin; 11th December 2006 at 09:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Member xllms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AngMoKio, Singapore
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Where is the Sun and the associated warm colour? I only see cool blue sky and a structure that doesn't seem to tell me its from a construction site either.....sorry for being frank about my feel.
    that's precisely i term it sunset

    it's a matter of perception, isn't it?...shall we subscript to the traditional idea of sunset when you see the warmth only?...or shall we look at how metallic object is able to exhibit a certain sense of warmth during sunset?...

    i agree the impact of the image is not there...hardly any punch...when i took it, i was just enjoying how the metallic roof turns yellowish and the clear blue sky, though flat, brings out the focus in the roof, hence i disagree that the sky should not be flat ( in relation to drama's comment )

    but it's nice to keep the discussion coming...appreciate the views no matter how critical they are



    will post more soon

    xllms

  9. #9
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    I can't tell it's a construction site

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    I think he is shooting at the western side, look at the light source, the sun is on the right of the pic.....

    Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    You have shot an eastern sky at sunset, hence no red tinge to the sky
    The Sky is flat & blue, nothing to see

    The struture in the picture is rather nondescript,no intresting shadow play
    What were you trying to show or what aroused your interest in this picture ?

    On the plus side there is very little clutter

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    But I dun the orange on the structure as well.....it looks brown and I tot they were wooden in the first place.....sorry for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by xllms View Post
    that's precisely i term it sunset

    it's a matter of perception, isn't it?...shall we subscript to the traditional idea of sunset when you see the warmth only?...or shall we look at how metallic object is able to exhibit a certain sense of warmth during sunset?...

    i agree the impact of the image is not there...hardly any punch...when i took it, i was just enjoying how the metallic roof turns yellowish and the clear blue sky, though flat, brings out the focus in the roof, hence i disagree that the sky should not be flat ( in relation to drama's comment )

    but it's nice to keep the discussion coming...appreciate the views no matter how critical they are



    will post more soon

    xllms

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    Tis picture shows no sense of gravity... it gives me the feeling like this thing is thrown in midair, cos either u shoot it with heads up, or u are up there shooting down... either way the shadow shows that your composition is super tilted. (my guess is u look up... and the sun is on right hand side when u take.)

    if u say its abstract, it kinda work... but the composition does need some further enhancement. Its hard to put into words an abstract way of composition... but your crop does not have a dynamic feel of the triangles. U'll need to do some burning as well.

    if u are taking scenery shot as per title, then tis 1 obviously fails... few things to note... no sunset, the shadow does not feel like its sunset due to angle taken, neither does it depict a construction site.

    overall a good try, but the feel is not there yet...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13
    Member iboey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    1,202

    Default Re: Sunset @ Construction Site

    i tink yr pic will work if u rename it rather den sunset at construction site...sometimes a photographer perspective is hard to grasp but quite a good attempt if its a abstract photo maybe some story along with it to explain and bring the photo stand out.
    Having expensive gears do not make you a better photographer. Period.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •