Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 320GB HD: Which brand?

Default Re: 320GB HD: Which brand?

Got my 320GB Seagate HD with a screwless casing from best bargain last tuesday. So far so good and the drive is quite fast.

Now I don't really trust my new drive yet, so my form of RAID is to burn all my photos into CD-Rs and have one copy of the photos in the HD. The rest of the data like music and stuff, I don't care even if it is lost due to HD failure. But I believe this drive will perform well, like some other Seagate drives that I have.

OT: I cannot burn the data at 4X using nero so I have no choice but to burn at 12x. Is this ok? Like if you burn to fast sometimes it might cause some problems later. But I do verify data after burning. Is that ok?
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by the mac 13 View Post
    Got my 320GB Seagate HD with a screwless casing from best bargain last tuesday. So far so good and the drive is quite fast.

Now I don't really trust my new drive yet, so my form of RAID is to burn all my photos into CD-Rs and have one copy of the photos in the HD. The rest of the data like music and stuff, I don't care even if it is lost due to HD failure. But I believe this drive will perform well, like some other Seagate drives that I have.

OT: I cannot burn the data at 4X using nero so I have no choice but to burn at 12x. Is this ok? Like if you burn to fast sometimes it might cause some problems later. But I do verify data after burning. Is that ok?
    i think most 3.5" hdd now is able to read data at far faster than 12x dvd speed. so burning at 12x shouldn't be a problem.

I am currently backing up all the 3 HDs using DiscWizard for windows. Quite good.
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    i think most 3.5" hdd now is able to read data at far faster than 12x dvd speed. so burning at 12x shouldn't be a problem.
    if you want to confirm your DVD burned without corruption, you can try to perform md5 checksum and check the original checksum with the DVD checksum. It should give a totally different checksum if the data is coruppted.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerX View Post
    if you want to confirm your DVD burned without corruption, you can try to perform md5 checksum and check the original checksum with the DVD checksum. It should give a totally different checksum if the data is coruppted.
    OT!!!

wah...same username as mi....
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Actually I burnt on CD-R. Don't really trust DVD's for back up.
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by the mac 13 View Post
    Actually I burnt on CD-R. Don't really trust DVD's for back up.
    you can do the same way too. you can get a free download from this link if you do not have it. i feel it is sufficient for normal use.
    http://www.shareup.com/MD5_Checksum_...oad-35044.html

don really need that... some software provide verification. one of such software is nero.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    don really need that... some software provide verification. one of such software is nero.
    agreed with ExplorerZ.
    if you want copy to other media (eg. HDD, thumbdrive, other than CD/DVD), then you'll need this software to do such verification.

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. So far so happy with my new HD. Yes, I use nero to verify. Thanks all!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123