Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've got 2k... What should I do?

spend your $2000 on Aerosmith albums, follow the rhythm and rock everynight.

Originally posted by masada
    Why you all so bad!

I am serious lah. If I want to buy a proper camera instead of my collection of toys (meaning, i got joycams and lomos now), what should I get?
    OK serious one. G2 sound good, most value for money. Or can consider Oly C4040 or Nikon cp5000. G2 around $1200 and stretch to $1400 for the other 2. The balance of your budget can spend on buying a Lowepro bag, lens tube, TC & WC lens and filters. May be you should join next week SEED and try out the 3 diff models. Get one that you feel good, whether is the money factor, the look that kill or you like to hold it in your hand.

you might find Nikon CP5000 attractive
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by masada
    Why you all so bad!

I am serious lah. If I want to buy a proper camera instead of my collection of toys (meaning, i got joycams and lomos now), what should I get?
    Maybe u can tell us what features, what brand, what budget (all $2K???), then we can advise u better. Those DCs mentioned by the fellas r excellent feature-packed DCs...but do u really need something like that?

SAVE!

Calvinle
    Guests

Default How to spend your $2000

Think of it this way: If you get a proper digital camera, it will last you for several years if properly taken care of. It will also provide you with immense joy when you see your efforts in print or on CDs, that you can show around to your friends.

With a slimming programme, now matter how little or expensive it cost, you will tend to return to your former weight when you stop the regime, no joke! Habits are a tricky thing to change. A slimming program does not guarantee you a surefire and permanent solution to your problem if there is one in the first place.

Many people only think they are overweight, when in reality they are in the normal range and "just right". I am sure you will agree with this.

So the final decision is still yours, but yours truely believe you should get your camera and forget about the slimming programme as many are real ripoffs and really not worth the money. On the other hand, if you really get to be the "ideal" weight, can you guarantee that it will attract someone to buy you the camera you want? A real hypotical question. In real life it does not work that way, as many fo us here can testify.

hope that helps

Why all of you recommend only digiCam? If I have S$2k to spend...and if I have the choice to re-start my photography hobby purchase again, I would use the S$2k for the following:

1. One Nikon F80D camera and I prefer black colour (S$750). Don't buy F55 or F65.

2. Battery pack (S$110) (if might not need it, but I have big hands)

3. Tokina ATX PRO 28-80mm f/2.8 lens (S$800) or you can also check out the Sigma EX 28-70mm f/2.8 DG (I don't like the 24-70mm for its 82mm filter size). 28-70mm or 28-80mm f/2.8 use 77mm filter size, which is quite standard for pro lens.

How much do I have?...+-x/...S$340 left...

4. Lowepro Nova 4 (S$50)

5. Oopss...forgot about flash...but if I were to buy the battery pack, then I wouldn't worry too much about flash...as I am going to use rechargeable battery. If not, flash will eat the CR123 battery like... flash choice: SB28 2nd hand...can buy later...since you/I have fast lens.

6. If I didn't buy flash, then I still have S$290. Buy GP rechargeable battery (4 pieces) with charger (1600 or 1800 mAH NiMh): (S$25+- at area around Penisular Plaza).

7. Oops...need to buy a filter for the 28-70/80mm fast lens: B+W UV (you don't need the extra thin one, just buy the ordinary one will do, as 28mm is not too wide and will not cause vignetting) = S$100.

8. Buy a cleaning kit: Air blower, Kodak cleaner, Rodenstock cleaning cloth (S$20 in total). I don't like to use lens tissue, thus cotton bud and the cleaning cloth will do.

9. How much do I have left?...S$145. Save this money for films...processing...you have spent S$1855 for equipment, thus don't be stinggy on film and processing. Shoot many many frames...

I am a Nikonian, thus I can only recommend Nikon package. You can also change the F80 with Canon similar product (EOS30).

I don't recommend digital camera as I feel that digital run too fast...and within months your current top model are no good already. After a year or two...it becomes too old model to keep. If I have extra money to burn, I will buy a digital camera as my 2nd camera...after I got a SLR. I don't want a digital vs film debate here...this is just MHO.

Hope this helps.
    DR KOH KHO KING

haha...can't stop dreaming...after having the above package...my list of coming gear will be:

1. Nikkor AFD 80-200mm f/2.8 lens (new S$1600, but I heard someone says can get S$13xx in Singapore; 2nd hand = S$1150+-)

2. Nikkor AFD 105mm f/2.8 micro lens (new S$1k, 2nd hand S$700+-).

3. Nikkor AFD 20mm f/2.8 (new S$850; 2nd hand = S$500)

4. Rodenstock 4x loupe + Cabin light panel = S$185 new; S$110 2nd hand. Now...I can start shooting slide!

5. hmm...forgot about tripod and head. Gitzo G1224 (S$350) + Manfrotto 141RC head (S$65). A ball head is too expensive (don't like the cheap one...last purchase will be AS B1 (S$750) after I get familiar and use to the figure...

anymore? perhaps time to upgrade to a better body...D100...hahah...dreaming...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by Kho King
    haha...can't stop dreaming...after having the above package...my list of coming gear will be:

1. Nikkor AFD 80-200mm f/2.8 lens (new S$1600, but I heard someone says can get S$13xx in Singapore; 2nd hand = S$1150+-)

2. Nikkor AFD 105mm f/2.8 micro lens (new S$1k, 2nd hand S$700+-).

3. Nikkor AFD 20mm f/2.8 (new S$850; 2nd hand = S$500)

4. Rodenstock 4x loupe + Cabin light panel = S$185 new; S$110 2nd hand. Now...I can start shooting slide!

5. hmm...forgot about tripod and head. Gitzo G1224 (S$350) + Manfrotto 141RC head (S$65). A ball head is too expensive (don't like the cheap one...last purchase will be AS B1 (S$750) after I get familiar and use to the figure...

anymore? perhaps time to upgrade to a better body...D100...hahah...dreaming...
    No AFS lenses for you sir?

Anyway, the Loupe + Lightpanel is $190, including GST. $185 is probably without, just bought yesterday.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

No AFS lenses for you sir?

Regards
    CK
    Hahaha...although dreaming I have to be realistic...AFS lenses are too expensive for me...will burn big hole in my pocket... I think AFD will do...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Cp5K? Can consider the Dimage5/Dimage7 from minolta as well... I think they are sama sama...

Originally posted by Kho King

Hahaha...although dreaming I have to be realistic...AFS lenses are too expensive for me...will burn big hole in my pocket... I think AFD will do...
    Hehehe. Same here. Can't justify the cost.

Regards
    CK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12