Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptop for photo editing and editing?

Default Re: Laptop for photo editing and editing?

with 3.5k or close, one can get the dell latest XPS machine... armed with dual GPU (yes, DUAL SLI configuration with total of 512MB dedicated ram), near the highest end C2D mobile processor, 2GB ram, a huge 200GB HDD and a brilliant 17" 1920x1200 LCD...
    but the weight of this beast is close to 5kg.

sorry to ask, so how much is a mac which is good and not too expensive?
    I feel like switching from vista to xp cos my 12"compaq B1900 is not stable.
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

Well, I'm uising both a mac and pc at work. IMHO, windoze has many ram intensive system overheads, coupled with the fact it cannot address more than 4gig of ram on a non 64bit system. the macpro desktop on the other hand has little overhead and can address up to 16gigs of RAM.

On the usability front, a laptop (either a mac or windoze) ain't gonna differ by much since rams and screen estate should be the main criteria of consideration, followed by rendering/processing power (which are on par and relative to processing mhz than platfrom)
    the only issue is response time. On a mac, it is definately more responsive as windows has a bad habit of trying to pre-fetch or pre-read files before you execute it. Hence opening hugh jpegs/psd and vectors can be very laggy versus a lightning fast response on an OSX. Pass that phase, applying filters and blurs has almost negligable difference for both mac and pc.

On the cpu overheads issue, windows has more bloatware (services and unnecessary "visual style" eyecandy theme) which requires user tweaking before it can be optimise for intensive usage. osx off the shelf doesn't require much user intervention.

Now if you ask me whether which platform I would use, I can only say it depends on the usage. Video editing, mac gets my vote for it software and codec plus response time, for 3D work PC gets my vote for its optimise and easily modifyable graphics drivers and plugins/speed/3 button mouse and shortcut keys (as I use maya/3dsmax). Editing pictures, mac gets my vote for its response time when i need to sift through thousands of images. I don't play games so I cannot comment on that.

Personally, I would only get a Macbook for it's price to reponse time for CASUAL work, Windows laptop for it performance to price ratio and SERIOUS work. And macpro desktop for it's value (dual 64bit dual core xeon at 4k is hard to beat) which with the upcoming OSX leopard, should be great for running XP on the system.

I say this because a 13' macbook screen is too small for any real work seriously and for $3k i can aquire a performance laptop with 17" screen estate at 1680x1050 resolution. where I would have only gotten an entry level MBP.
    Ultimately, it's about the USAGE and YOUR BUDGET.
    Last edited by viix; 18th October 2007 at 11:39 PM.

lawl u know why macbook faster cos last time use motorola processor diffrent from intel. now that they both use the intel duo core...on par liao in terms of speed but i must say mac colour rocks my socks. but then again price price price!! mac ex la.

for me pc based system best cos at least u know compatibility prolems if u choose to use it for anything else is not a problem. so what would i go for?

IBM (thinkpad only! do not even think about the non thinkpad ones)!! or FUJITSU!!! cos its long lasting. quite literally. my blardy compaq is struggling on 2 years now. i havent met a happy acer user personally yet. i stress the word personally. not offence to those using acer. and hp is th same as compaq. dell...well its just the lack of support.

im not a promoter for ibm not being paid here. just MHO!

Yeah, IBM Thinkpads Still the best. Heng I got the last batch with the IBM Logos. Only thing is that their screen is matted. Well, its a business Laptop leh.

Sorry sorry, we are getting more and more OOT le... ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by aliank View Post
    Hi guys,

Planning to get a laptop for photo editing (CS2) and programming. Budget around 2k - 2.5k.
    Roughly what brand should I get ya? I have asus, acer and HP in my mind.

Any recommendation?
    if u are doing photo editing i will suggested you get laptop comes with high capacity space and upgrade your ram and also a dedicated graphics card for precise image monitoring as intergrated graphics on intel board are good but not 100% accurate.

Explain what 100% accurate is and what is 100% accurate pls.
    APAD | Blog

OT even more:-

compare this:-

Macbookpro 17" vs the Dell XPS 1130 or wadever the number is.
    Which will be worth it for photoshopping and sifting thru images, assuming dun have much space and need to go mobile once awhile

Cheers

MacbookPro more expensive. I would go for that.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    MacbookPro more expensive. I would go for that.

wad kinda logic is that?

If both serves the same purpose, of course the looks will be next to consider.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by tchoonyong View Post
    if u are doing photo editing i will suggested you get laptop comes with high capacity space and upgrade your ram and also a dedicated graphics card for precise image monitoring as intergrated graphics on intel board are good but not 100% accurate.
    That's far from truth. The fact is, Photoshop doesn't need a dedicated graphics card. Intel GMA has the same "accuracy" (whatever you mean by that) and has no performance impact on 2D graphics applications, like PS.
    Last edited by Hitz; 23rd October 2007 at 01:10 PM.

Talking about this , to ride on this topic..
    I have got a G4 ibook that I have not been using for a long time, I now intend to use it for audio + visual purpose..
    is it worthly to upgrade it the latest leopard oc?

Don't think so.
    APAD | Blog

If both serves the same purpose, of course the looks will be next to consider.
    Doesn't answer the question.

MBP 17" vs Dell XPS both serves the same function, but which one will worth its value when using it for photoshop?

The question is which one will you get. I have made my choice, I have stated my reason, I have answered your queries on the reasoning.

You are now saying that it doesn't answer the question?

I think you are out to flame me.
    APAD | Blog

The question is which one will you get. I have made my choice, I have stated my reason, I have answered your queries on the reasoning.

You are now saying that it doesn't answer the question?

I think you are out to flame me.

???

huh?

wah lau...dun get so hypersensitive lar...

i'm asking which is the bang for the buck lar....esp for photoshop

Bang for the buck will be a non-mac. As said. Because MBP is too expensive for its specifications.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    Doesn't answer the question.

MBP 17" vs Dell XPS both serves the same function, but which one will worth its value when using it for photoshop?
    If you got the Moolah, go for the Macbook Pro, the useful specification component ain't that much in different with Dell when it comes to photoshopping. But then the MBP is close to 1k more than Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    If you got the Moolah, go for the Macbook Pro, the useful specification component ain't that much in different with Dell when it comes to photoshopping. But then the MBP is close to 1k more than Dell.
    icic......okay....thanx!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast