Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: $10 for AD Wedding Photography

Default Re: $10 for AD Wedding Photography

if this is voluntary work. think no ang bow is much better than $10 ang bow. $10 should be 10 yr ago 's standard.

I think you should ask yourself this :
    If he is really a friend, would he be exploiting you this way? To think it's held at OCC somemore, its not a small budget place!
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Depends on how you view it.

Live and learn, and that's precisely what you were doing - trying to learn how to shoot at a wedding.

The couple in fact took a risk having not one, but perhaps two newbies to cover their wedding (IF your other friend is a newbie as well. BTW, did he get $10 as well?).

Yeah, the couple could have at least covered transport, but they were not obliged to.

And you didn't get things straight from the start.

A friend once engaged me to write some small ads for him.

He said something like "Hey! We buddy buddy do a solid job for me hor!"

I shocked him when I replied, "I'm sorry, I don't work for friends. When I accept a job, I am a professional, even if my client is a friend, and I deliver as professionally as I am able to."

To which, he was pleasantly dumbfounded.

I also did not have to add that I expect to be treated as a professional.

These things you do not have to say out loud if you already conduct yourself in a professional manner, which means CLEARY discussing all the requirements, terms and conditions - including fees BEFORE accepting the job because an accpetance constitutes an agreement, which is contractual.

Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum View Post
    My apology, I am just a newbie ... I am just a learner, but my wed friends enaged me to be their photographer with another friend of mine ( 2 photographers in all, myself and a friend ) ... I am not trying to spoil the market but if U were me in this situation, receving a $10... dun u feel being insulted ???
    if you are not ready to make a serious job, it's better you recommend your couple friend to engage a pro, while you can hang around and so some backup shoots as well as treat it as a learning experience. since you turned up so early, you are considered like a 'bro' and would receive an ang bao anyway (whether you shoot or not).

you should not feel insulted cos you went there as a learner.
    your couple friend takes a much greater risk in having only your team as their only photographer. it's wedding: they only do it once leh, you can shoot many more times until you become pro one day.

so i think you asked for it and you should not complain. if you still feel insulted, then you better to decline (as the only official photographer) and instead shoot on the side. that way, you have no pressure and you still learn at your pace. no money is there to insult you anyway.

That being said, your couple friend also abit ngiaw la...
    so you learned a lesson, don't 'volunteer' something you are not about / not in a position to bargain for.

I think you should ask yourself this :
    If he is really a friend, would he be exploiting you this way? To think it's held at OCC somemore, its not a small budget place!
    Friends like these are not worth having, not because of the money, but because they have shown you how they truly feel about you and your helping them.

Perhaps you should ask them to come read this thread and let the thread do the hard work that you (the TS) find unpleasant.
    Last edited by Feinwerkbau; 10th December 2006 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau View Post

Live and learn, and that's precisely what you were doing - trying to learn how to shoot at a wedding.

The couple in fact took a risk having not one, but perhaps two newbies to cover their wedding (IF your other friend is a newbie as well. BTW, did he get $10 as well?).

Yeah, the couple could have at least covered transport, but they were not obliged to.

I shocked him when I replied, "I'm sorry, I don't work for friends. When I accept a job, I am a professional, even if my client is a friend, and I deliver as professionally as I am able to."

These things you do not have to say out loud if you already conduct yourself in a professional manner, which means CLEARY discussing all the requirements, terms and conditions - including fees BEFORE accepting the job because an accpetance constitutes an agreement, which is contractual.

Live and learn.

Hahah.. Army has taught the 1 of e 7 core values well : Professionalism.

To TS: I agree with some of the other bros. Since it's over and done with, just be positive and take it as a learning experience lo. The btm line is, at least you gained some wedding shoot experience, paid using the travel expenses and time for wakin up early!

Hee... So Yum yum.. The truth is out, u were the photographer. This is an interesting post...

First of all, from what u've written, I think u are a nice obliging person. But u missed out saying how close you are to the couple. Think this is one of those things u do willingly out of friendship rite? Cos if not, you'd have discussed with them the fee to be paid. Just that u were taken aback by the peanuts ang bao given.

For such long hours, I'd personally feel $10 is an insult, whether it be photography or not. Even if we don't show up for a wedding, we already give the couple ang bao that is so much more than that!

This points to a few possibilities:

1. Photography is not a respected job in Singapore.
    2. There was a mistake.. somehow a $10 note was mistaken for a $50 or $100!
    3. Your couple friends have little respect for you.
    4. Your friends are simply stingy.

For $10, I'd rather do the entire thing for free. At least I can say that it was done purely out of friendship with no $$$ involved.

Even if the photographer was given a Hong Bao of $88, or $8888 now, it would not buy back the lack of appreciation that his 'friends' showed him in dazzling crystal clarity. TS stated that it was clear there was no mistake in the HB with his name on it.

But the TS could always pass the $8888 HB to me. Hehehe.
    Last edited by Feinwerkbau; 10th December 2006 at 02:12 AM.

Waaa...

Lesson learnt. Never shoot for a friend.
    I always tell my friends that I'll shoot for them for free, but they must also need to get a pro photographer on that day. Real reason is coz if anything screw up, not my fault, frenship saved.

Hmm, maybe the paying couple say the wedding dinner already worth $100 per head, and already reserve the table for him and he no need to pay ang-pao? Transport and drinks also provided? Don't be surprised some people calculate in this way.

If I were that broke, and cannot afford to hire a $1000 photographer and ask my friend to help me out, I won't give $10. Chao-chao also $50 lah! Although money between friends should not be an issue, $10 bucks is really insulting. If you really cannot even afford to give $50 for a friend, then you shouldn't even get married if you're that financially insecure.

If I were to be so kwai-***, I'd say:

Photography service: $10
    Here's your photo-CD: $878.

Thankyouverymuchhopetodobusinesswithyouagainbye!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by simon80 View Post
    U put a copyright " $10 only " on all the pics and burn into a CD for him.
    what kind of friend is this?

My first wedding for a friend I asked for $500
    Now wat kind of friend I am ?
    I did not put a copyright in the CD... or U mean u wanna me to do that ???
    No way to a friend , even to a just ok friend

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    i'd feel more disappointed in this so-called friend than insulted.

take this as a lesson and a mistake not to be committed a second time.

yeah, so disappointed ....

Quote Originally Posted by palvin View Post
    It sounds to me that you're doing voluntary work.
    So now you've learned the lesson, make sure don't repeat it.
    In future, if your other friends want your services again, don't be afraid to state on the pricing that you're charging them.
    If its a good friend, can lower your price but why stood so slow of yourself?
    You spent so much on your equipment, don't you want to earn a little more to cover those you've spent on your camera?
    Or if you charge more, you can have more money to upgrade to a better lens?
    And... don't spoil the market please. Other full-time photographer needs to feed their family.

well, i realised that I have not really outline the service fees to them.... sigh , but I have never ever try to spoil the market...

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau View Post

Live and learn.
    yeah, was my deadly mistake for not get things straight with them .... but as things were done, so be it, but shall be a lesson to me

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Thankyouverymuchhopetodobusinesswithyouagainbye!

I'd say I can give him 50% off for repeat customers.

Quote Originally Posted by blaine View Post
    if you are not ready to make a serious job, it's better you recommend your couple friend to engage a pro, while you can hang around and so some backup shoots as well as treat it as a learning experience. since you turned up so early, you are considered like a 'bro' and would receive an ang bao anyway (whether you shoot or not).

you should not feel insulted cos you went there as a learner.
    your couple friend takes a much greater risk in having only your team as their only photographer. it's wedding: they only do it once leh, you can shoot many more times until you become pro one day.

so i think you asked for it and you should not complain. if you still feel insulted, then you better to decline (as the only official photographer) and instead shoot on the side. that way, you have no pressure and you still learn at your pace. no money is there to insult you anyway.

That being said, your couple friend also abit ngiaw la...
    so you learned a lesson, don't 'volunteer' something you are not about / not in a position to bargain for.

well, I have always treat any jobs seriously as to be my own business...

yes u r right , i can take as many times as possible, but no way, I will only do it right at 1 or 2 shots, I will never treat the shoot job shabbily.... wat if ur wedding shoot is done badly... ???

yes I conmplain abt the $10, BUT is not for the $$$, is the way how I am treated .... how would u like to be in my shoe if u were me
    Last edited by yumyum; 10th December 2006 at 03:05 AM. Reason: edit

or just give low-res quality pics enough for maybe 3R.

....or, if u really want to be mean, just give thumbnails!

pls take the above with a huge pinch of salt.

eh... hope u weren't intending on giving them prints.
    Last edited by bowwow; 10th December 2006 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hee... So Yum yum.. The truth is out, u were the photographer. This is an interesting post...

First of all, from what u've written, I think u are a nice obliging person. But u missed out saying how close you are to the couple. Think this is one of those things u do willingly out of friendship rite? Cos if not, you'd have discussed with them the fee to be paid. Just that u were taken aback by the peanuts ang bao given.

For such long hours, I'd personally feel $10 is an insult, whether it be photography or not. Even if we don't show up for a wedding, we already give the couple ang bao that is so much more than that!

This points to a few possibilities:

1. Photography is not a respected job in Singapore.
    2. There was a mistake.. somehow a $10 note was mistaken for a $50 or $100!
    3. Your couple friends have little respect for you.
    4. Your friends are simply stingy.

We were merely colleagues, not really doing it for friendship
    I didnt outline the details of the fees not that I forget, but I dun dare to quote them and dunnoe how much to quote .... the $10 insult is not for the money actually, but is how I think they treat me with the effort that I came early in the morning to shoot for them

Well, as what ppl say....pay peanuts , get monkey, hmmm, for me it seems to be ironic...

Live and learn...

Really... you should talk to the collegue of yours first. Or if you dun dare to face him/her directly, there are ways to drop hints directly or indirectly.

There are some people whom will "pay" more upon delivery of CDs.

Also, you gotta work with the other photog, not nice if both deliverables are different. If both of you feels the same then mabbe web-size (800 px max length) deliverables. But I emphasise that if you do this it's like holding the couples ransom... not very nice on your part also if it's not stated up front.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast