Thread: Difference between Skylight and UV filters

Default Difference between Skylight and UV filters

I have UV filters, just wondering whats the diff between them and skylight filters. Are they essentials?

no visible difference for me, i just use them as lens protectors. Although some people do say that the skylight makes the pic a tad warmer...not too obvious though, i think.

essentials?hmm..depends on how yoou feel about yr lens. i jst screw them on my lenses and leave them there...preevnt dust/scratch etc on front element of lens. although some do argue that this diminishes image quality because of the extra glass...but its still ok for me as most of my prints are @ 4R size
    Last edited by jon33; 8th February 2003 at 08:14 AM.

Talking

I was told that Skylight filter is more often used on Caucasian as they have fairer skin. Whereas UV is all purpose filter....hahaha... this is what Alex told me from Alex Photo

Deregistered

The skylight filters have a bit of colour in them. For eg, skylight 1B Hoya HMC has a pinkish colour. Good for bringing out some warmth as describe earlier.

Whereas UV filters filters out the UV rays that light brings before it hits the CCD/CMOS.

Do we need to remove the UV or skylight when we are using Wide Angle or TC ?