Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do glass has better optics than plastic ?

Default Re: do glass has better optics than plastic ?

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Just like your specs, glass has higher refraction index than plastic, ie. you need thicker plastic lens to refract the same angle as glass.
    ED elements are of lower index to reduce dispersion. High index does not mean it is good.

how about in extreme temperatures like a hot sunny day in Middle East or cold winter in Russia ? will glass perform better ?

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    how about in extreme temperatures like a hot sunny day in Middle East or cold winter in Russia ? will glass perform better ?

I'd like to see how a lens with fluorite glass will react in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I'd like to see how a lens with fluorite glass will react in those conditions.
    The thing is that there are "L" lenses that are used around both poles as well as deserts... so far not much complaints from the pros tho.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    The thing is that there are "L" lenses that are used around both poles as well as deserts... so far not much complaints from the pros tho.
    You mean, there IS a complaint from the pros ?

1. Why the L lenses have white color?
    2. Why the Nikon go to the outer space and Canon not?

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 12th December 2006 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Not go to the moon, outer space.

When I do some holiday works in my uncle optical more than 15yrs ago, I was told that glass allows more lights to pass thru compare with plastic.

If I remember correctly, it's like 98% or 99% for glass lens,
    but for plastic lens it's like less than 95%.

Dunno whether the above still true today but generally it coincide with my feeling when I look thru glass spectacle and plastic ones.. the glass always seems clearer and sharper..

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post

Plastic would just warp wouldnt it? Especially in how.

Im pretty sure glass would be better.

Ok, here's some differences I can think of. I'm not a plastic or glass expert so I don't know whether the newest technology can overcome some/all of these differences:

hardness (resistance to scratching) - glass is ahead
    aging (discolouration/brittleness) - glass is ahead
    resistance to chemicals - glass is ahead
    operating temperature range - glass is ahead
    size/weight - ? plastic is lighter
    distortion - ?
    manufacturing process - those famous lens makers all have decades of experience with glass and have honed their processes thru the ages. If they move to plastic, they will need new tooling, new skills, new processes.

Feel free to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Ok, here's some differences I can think of. I'm not a plastic or glass expert so I don't know whether the newest technology can overcome some/all of these differences:

hardness (resistance to scratching) - glass is ahead
    aging (discolouration/brittleness) - glass is ahead
    resistance to chemicals - glass is ahead
    operating temperature range - glass is ahead
    size/weight - ? plastic is lighter
    distortion - ?
    manufacturing process - those famous lens makers all have decades of experience with glass and have honed their processes thru the ages. If they move to plastic, they will need new tooling, new skills, new processes.

Feel free to discuss.
    Remember, there is a coating (single or multi coating) on glass or plastic surface. So, scratch resistance actually depend on coating quality.

Regards,
    Arto.

I'm not sure if all "L" lenses has fluorite elements in them. Maybe the white ones has larger pieces which will fracture more easily.

The fluorite elements might be more fragile as compared to glass... however if the problem is that serious, there would have more than it's fair share of "complaints" in online forums. Especially for those whom like to gaffer/camo their long whites.

Some light hearted discussions I've dug out Are fluorite lenses prone to cracking?

From FM'n Nikon forum...read the last post in page 1 Note about the comment regarding focus correction.

Read the portion on L lens IMHO is the more accurate reason why are longer lenses white even they might not have fluorite element in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    You mean, there IS a complaint from the pros ?

1. Why the L lenses have white color?
    2. Why the Nikon go to the outer space and Canon not?

Regards,
    Arto.
    Well... I can't say there will not be complaints, cuz definately there will be someone bitching about their equipments, regardless.

1. As explained below.

2. Already got a very old discussion on this... I tot already pointed out that it's due to the red tapes in certification process that it's simpler to use something that's pre-approved then to put something new for approval for space flights. It's not only the lens the body too.

OT a bit... while trawling the net I came across this very nice pics.

*edit* and ohh... the one that made history.
    Last edited by CYRN; 12th December 2006 at 02:57 PM.

The fluorite elements might be more fragile as compared to glass... however if the problem is that serious, there would have more than it's fair share of "complaints" in online forums. Especially for those whom like to gaffer/camo their long whites.

Some light hearted discussions I've dug out Are fluorite lenses prone to cracking?

From FM'n Nikon forum...read the last post in page 1 Note about the comment regarding focus correction.

Read the portion on L lens IMHO is the more accurate reason why are longer lenses white even they might not have fluorite element in them.
    Thanks! Looks like L lenses isn't just about quality. I like the part that says having a number of L lenses is a requirement for Canon Professional Service membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Remember, there is a coating (single or multi coating) on glass or plastic surface. So, scratch resistance actually depend on coating quality.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Just wondering, does this coating gradually wear off if you rub/clean the glass with say a lens cloth or tissue? Would loss of coating affect the overall IQ (image quality) of the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Thanks! Looks like L lenses isn't just about quality. I like the part that says having a number of L lenses is a requirement for Canon Professional Service membership.
    Also quality mah... quality service. Got 20% discount somemore.
    Last edited by CYRN; 12th December 2006 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Just wondering, does this coating gradually wear off if you rub/clean the glass with say a lens cloth or tissue? Would loss of coating affect the overall IQ (image quality) of the lens?
    I believe most front and most rear element of lens(es) have stronger coating than coating for the middle elements. It is ok to clean the front and rear element, but do it only when necessary. As the cleaning process can scratch the coating if there is a dust trapped between lens and lens cloth or tissue.

Loss of coating can effect on picture quality. That's why cleaning fungus usually will remove the coating and the lens quality is affected.

Regards,
    Arto.

I use a very high grade acrylic (call it plastic if you like) for framing my better artwork. The product is called Acrylite OP3 and it is made in the US. The optical quality is excellent, plus it is UV filtering.

The main reason why I use the OP3 is because it is:
    1. shatterproof
    2. Much lighter than glass
    3. UV Filtering

Similar glass sheets would weigh too much, and to give it a UV filtering coat will skyrocket the price.

Incidentally, the cockpit of fighter planes are made of high grade acrylic as well... because glass shatters.

Don't know how does that do for your analysis, but thought you'd like to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12