Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Why Need High ISO

  1. #1
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Why Need High ISO

    Hi, I hope to get my first DSLR next week, considering the D40, K100D and E500. After reading so much, still difficult to decide...anyway my purpose for this thread is to ask:

    Why or when do we need to take pictures at high ISO?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    For various reasons. The idea is to do with light lor.

    For example, for sports photography, if you want to grab a moment, sometimes fast shutter speeds may not give you the effect you want.. With higher ISO a shorter exposure time is needed to get the same exposure.

    That's just one example. I'll let the rest here add on or something. =/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    To get noise!!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    basically to get faster shutter speeds.. low light situations are an example..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    682

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Hi Guys,

    Just to add on to the question about ISO. What is a recomended ISO for taking indoor shot at home and in a restaurant?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Just to add on to the question about ISO. What is a recomended ISO for taking indoor shot at home and in a restaurant?
    There are many possibilities, the 3 main ones:
    1. use flash, any ISO will do
    2. use tripod, any ISO will do
    3. use high ISO, it depends on your indoor lighting bright or dark, ISO400/800 are the more useable ones, ISO1600/2000/3200 will give too much noise.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    682

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    There are many possibilities, the 3 main ones:
    1. use flash, any ISO will do
    2. use tripod, any ISO will do
    3. use high ISO, it depends on your indoor lighting bright or dark, ISO400/800 are the more useable ones, ISO1600/2000/3200 will give too much noise.

    Thanks bro.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Depend on the kind of night photography.

    If you are taking still life photography like buildings or road at night, what you need is use a tripod and use low ISO. You will get good quality shots.

    Other night or low lighting photography like indoor/outdoor events including candid, single/group shots, you need a fast lens, external flash and carry the camera on handheld. So the shutter speed needed is 1/30sec or faster (depend on individual). So if your camera meter slower than 1/30sec, you will get blur shots. Therefore to resolve the problem, increase the ISO value to get faster speed. Nowsaday DSLR has low noise for high ISO.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  9. #9
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    1. when flash photography is not allowed
    2. when you need a faster shutter speed to help freeze the subject
    3. to help you shoot handheld without a f2.8 lens
    4. to save on the flash battery
    5. to introduce more noise

  10. #10

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Fujifilm main argument is a faster shutter speed. Some cams offer image stabilisation but while it will prevent shakes and blurr, it would be of no use if the subject itself is moving, eg. a marathon runner.

  11. #11
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Generally as with film...

    ISO 100 for bright conditions
    ISO 200 for cloudy or lower light
    ISO 400 for general faster action or early evening (indoors for most places would be ok)
    ISO 800 for much faster action or darker conditions (generally the most I push normally)
    ISO 1600 for very dim conditions or when I want the noise factor in the shots
    ISO 3200 for added noise and low light conditions.

    Also, note that with flash, I normally push to only ISO 400.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    becos i can't afford fast lenses.

    cichlid: if you're still confused with the answers in here, it'll be good if you can read up on the relationship of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. These 3 always go hand in hand. When you adjust 1 of the parameter, you must adjust at least 1 of the other 2 to get back the same exposure.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Generally as with film...

    ISO 100 for bright conditions
    ISO 200 for cloudy or lower light
    ISO 400 for general faster action or early evening (indoors for most places would be ok)
    ISO 800 for much faster action or darker conditions (generally the most I push normally)
    ISO 1600 for very dim conditions or when I want the noise factor in the shots
    ISO 3200 for added noise and low light conditions.

    Also, note that with flash, I normally push to only ISO 400.
    but then in film it will not produce noise rite??? i dun noe cos i skip that generation

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    i must add, even with a f1.8 or f2.8 lens there is still a need for high ISO at very dim condition.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    but then in film it will not produce noise rite??? i dun noe cos i skip that generation
    nope. infact current digital sensor especially dSLR produce far lesser noise than film when comparing the same ISO

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    but then in film it will not produce noise rite??? i dun noe cos i skip that generation
    High ISO films may not produce noice, but grains... Depending on the mood you like to capture, the film grains may give you good results to certain moods... But too much noise gives you headaches...
    Saiful Bahar - "I don't care what equipment you use... but what you produce"

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    wow, its really informative, i'm a newbie too, i'm thinking of getting the fujifilm f30 as my 1st camera, read all the good info bout its low-light shooting strengths

  18. #18
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by kewellsg_07 View Post
    wow, its really informative, i'm a newbie too, i'm thinking of getting the fujifilm f30 as my 1st camera, read all the good info bout its low-light shooting strengths
    Think carefully first.. Is low light the only choice you have in mind?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    i mean i would be taking alot of pics indoors so thats so thats one of the reasons, any other factors u could add in helping choose a suitable camera?

  20. #20
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Why Need High ISO

    thank u for all your replies...got a lot to learn...reading Digital Art Photography for Dummies now, hehe...borrowed from the library....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •