Thread: Questions about cropping photo.

Default Questions about cropping photo.

Hi everyone.
    I have a question like this : If i have one photo then i crop it but the ratio is not formal,i mean the ratio of my crop is square or something but different drom normal photo ratio, then when i bring the file to the lab to print, what will happen ? Will the print have blank space or they will made border or they can't print or what ? Anyone got any idea ?
    Thanks a lot.

Default Re: Questions about cropping photo.

You will have to tell your lab what you want to do with it.

Shrink to fit: Reduce the image so the widest end fits into the narrowest part of the print (square print on 4R comes out as a 4x4 print with 1 inch white edges at each end)

Stretch to fit (keeping aspect ratio): Expand the image so that the the widest end of the pic fits the widest end of the print( you will get the top and bottom 1 inch cropped out)

Stretch to fit (ignoreing aspect ratio): Expand the image so that tit fits into the print( you will get a distorted image)

Most Of the times i tell the lab to shrink to fit then trim off the white edges. Some labs might have a bleed edge as well so watch out for that.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

so fast Raptor84 , thanks a lot.

Normally when I want to print square images, for instance 5inch x 5inch. I'll do it in PS such that it's 5inch x 7inch, so it has a 2inch white space. When printing, I tell them to print at 5R and crop off the white space manually after that. It's quite a waste, but really bo bian when printing less common sizes.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr