Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Cpu

Default Re: New Cpu

I think if i were to DIY, why don't i build up on my current system?

I'm uncertain abt diy is because when sth goes wrong. is there a one fix place i can go for help? Whats the return service like? Thats my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    I dun fancy IBM too. Had bad experience with it before. I've been kinda advised again Acer. Apparently it was mentioned that when sth goes wrong. All the ports will automatically disable. So its like rendering the whole com not usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    I think if i were to DIY, why don't i build up on my current system?

I'm uncertain abt diy is because when sth goes wrong. is there a one fix place i can go for help? Whats the return service like? Thats my issue.
    well.. u can always ask ppl in forum to rectify. in terms to say, we learn each time we face some prob from our comp. either here or some other computer forum like vr zone and hwz is great help too. of coz, not to forget asking frenz who know how to fix the problem. it depend whether u wanna the best out of the best for ur lovely comp.

Performance a side, it is true that I always have problem with the USB port of the IBM machines...first encouter was a couple of years ago we received a brand new X series server...I think it was a x215 loaded Win2k server + sp4....you will get instant blue screen when plug in a tumb drive.....no bull ****, this is our production server and we "F" our vendor for that and they oblige to change it to a HP.......even right now I am still having a SFF series P4-2.4 that wouldn't detect our new 2GB imation tumb drive....and because of their front USB is deep in a groove...it will always prevent you to insert any fat tumb drive
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 9th December 2006 at 01:16 AM.

I have been buying Dell since 1998, primarily because of their onsite support, and also their machines may not be the sexiest but at least not detestable.

When your box start giving a problem, is when you fully appreciates Dell service.

talk about weird behaviour of USB devices. I recently bought a USB2 multi-card reader. This is plugged into a 4-port hub. For the first couple of days everything was fine. And then out of the blue, the card reader would not recognised (appear as unknown device) on two of the hub ports, but will work when plugged into the other two ports. what gives!?

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    talk about weird behaviour of USB devices. I recently bought a USB2 multi-card reader. This is plugged into a 4-port hub. For the first couple of days everything was fine. And then out of the blue, the card reader would not recognised (appear as unknown device) on two of the hub ports, but will work when plugged into the other two ports. what gives!?
    Did you plug another USB device within these few days?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Did you plug another USB device within these few days?
    nope. besides, why would it work on two of the ports and not on the other two? they're on the same hub!

nope. besides, why would it work on two of the ports and not on the other two? they're on the same hub!
    Is this with an external powered USB Hub? perhaps the power supply gave way and the USB port on PC can only power 2 USB port?

Me no techie but I think mine from Targus just gave way but I was there when I heard a pop, and realised my USB Hub power supply died.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Is this with an external powered USB Hub? perhaps the power supply gave way and the USB port on PC can only power 2 USB port?

Me no techie but I think mine from Targus just gave way but I was there when I heard a pop, and realised my USB Hub power supply died.

../azul123
    no its a USB powered hub. besides, the number of devices does not change, I just move the reader from one port to another, it works on two of them and not on the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    If money is not an issue to you, may I suggest Mac comp. Or rather, HP. I kinda like Dell tho.
    I've been using a Mac since 2001, PC since 1990. I have a PC around (PC gaming actually). But overall, using Mac is just easier. Less maintainence needed. Doesn't crash, no BSOD, no virus, no spyware, no adware etc. The startup might be alittle costly. M$ office for Mac(comes with license for 3 comp actually) and Photoshop for Mac(might want to try Aperture instead).

USB readers work properly from start till now.

My dell got 6 USB ports, 4 at the back and 2 infront.

I noticed that the 2 infront cannot support higher power draw, ie tried to add another 4 ports hub... the PC warns me of underpowered port, however the ones at the back can. Not sure about yours.

I'm waiting for Quad core to "settle down" before going for Dell's top end.

I've tried DIY, but it's seems more complicated then juz putting the pieces together. Optimal compatibility between the Mobo and all the peripherals is a very big headache.

In the end I opted for Dell and it haven't failed me for the 3 years I've got it.... easy access to the innards too if you want to change basic items like RAM/HDD/PCI cards. Only down side is that it dosen't come with any tweaking software to enable you to OC the processor..etc.

i will go for DIY if i will to setup a new PC today...i have been OCing my PC since 1st generation celeron days..u have the freedom of add change CPU, ram, g card, sound card blah blah....once there's a need or wants...i used to OC a AMD Duron from 600 to 1.0GHz and used for 5.5yrs and just upgraded to an old AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz (bought 2nd hand at S$20 )this year...cos got a dslr n using for photo need...i know is still slow as compare to the rest of u guys so DIY set is OK, OCing is OK, it won't kill your CPU...Oop!! i OT lio..sorry sorry..

last thing, if u have fren has interest in DIY, u r in luck...go DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    My dell got 6 USB ports, 4 at the back and 2 infront.

I noticed that the 2 infront cannot support higher power draw, ie tried to add another 4 ports hub... the PC warns me of underpowered port, however the ones at the back can. Not sure about yours.
    yes some USB ports have higer power rating. but these are four ports on ONE hub, hanging off a port on the PC. those ports were all working with the reader a couple days back! so something must have shorted out in the hub, that's the only thing I can think of. But those ports are still working, I could plug my printers in and they still work

get a macbookpro or a imac.

you would not go wrong with a mac especially graphics wise. my advise is to wait for Leopard though, Tiger ought to be changed since it has already been around for 2years plus?

DIY is always the best but think of the maintenance. If you're able to handle it, then good. If you are able to diagnose hardware issues, then replacing them is trivial.

Dell imo, is a good choice for its warranty terms and relative stability. I think they're the only one that allows you to change the internal parts and yet still keep warranty for the rest of the system. I've swapped the hdd, video card and ram and they'll still honor the 3 yr warranty.

HP is another choice but they've been lagging behind the rest in the last few years in terms of hardware. Fortunately, they seem well on the way back with the departure of the last CEO. I liked their customer service @ Alexander. Impecable class, no BS straight to the point , lounge type waiting area but that was a few years back.

The main problem these days is software.

On branded PCs, the amount of bloat is insane. Most consumers cannot escape the OS deteriotion due to the amount of software that gets in sooner or later. Branded PCs have the recovery CD that at least gives the end user an easy way to recover. DIY? You either rely on that poor friend of yours to resolve or try to make your own recovery cd.

OK, after reading thru the pages, decided to book a system with DELL, the E520 series.
    Now, .... the only upgrade I am still considering is the ram..... is it worthwhile to upgrade from a 533MHz to the 667 Mhz for another $120 (2 x 512Mb).
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12