Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cpu

Default New Cpu

Guys, can you all recommend me a Brand of COmputer thats trustable for photo editing? with a good and fast processor and Ram? I've tried custom building one but didnt last too well and the shop i did it at is no longer there. So suck thumb. I'd like to get sth like maybe HP or acer. Which ever is recommended. At least it has a company warranty. Any advise?

Default Re: New Cpu

Between HP and Acer, go for HP. Better warranty support IMO.

You looking for a desktop or a laptop?

desktop. My concern is that it wont lag so much and the software wont crash like my current one does alot.

If money is not an issue to you, may I suggest Mac comp. Or rather, HP. I kinda like Dell tho.

I like Mac too. But all my softwares and me are not Mac ready.

hmmm Dell. any reason?

Chris ... i refer to today's The Straits Times .... got new CPU from Lenovo, around $1,500.
    take a look.
    I was thinking of getting a OEM but still think a branded PC is more reliable for ppl like us ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Well, if you want performance, you can check out the HP personal workstations, great performance plus lots of expansion bays (for more memory and more HDD).

Hmmmm IBM ws bought over by Lenovo leh. Not too sure abt the quality.

I've seen the HP M7599D. Looks pretty impressive. But without the monitor its retailing at 2099. With mon is at 2499. Just unsure if its a worth investment to pump that much money into a CPU.

Koz i like Dell LCD monitor. the wide screen and so far so good.. i heard no prob. So far, Im the hater of IBM so I will never rec that. Thats my own preferences. heh. HP is another good choice. Acer, is good too. keke

But mine is DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Koz i like Dell LCD monitor. the wide screen and so far so good.. i heard no prob. So far, Im the hater of IBM so I will never rec that. Thats my own preferences. heh. HP is another good choice. Acer, is good too. keke

But mine is DIY.
    I dun fancy IBM too. Had bad experience with it before. I've been kinda advised again Acer. Apparently it was mentioned that when sth goes wrong. All the ports will automatically disable. So its like rendering the whole com not usable.

If IBM must go for their T series. I just upgraded from T42 to T60 sayang my existing Port replicator II that I use with T42 cannot be used on T60.

***Please respect the forum rules.. no posting of non-photography related items - Mod***
    ../azul123
    Last edited by Bluestrike; 8th December 2006 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    If IBM must go for their T series. I just upgraded from T42 to T60 sayang my existing Port replicator II that I use with T42 cannot be used on T60.

***Please respect the forum rules.. no posting of non-photography related items - Mod***
    ../azul123
    brudder, he is looking for a desktop ....

i fid this Q100 quite okie for my normal use, maybe increase the ram to 1G
    http://www-8.ibm.com/lenovoinfo/sg/c...l?re=home_B_sg
    Last edited by Bluestrike; 8th December 2006 at 11:32 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

go for dell, and use the $ on extra ram/hdd.
    but right now, their price ain't as good as during sitex. about $200 or so more than sitex promo

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    Guys, can you all recommend me a Brand of COmputer thats trustable for photo editing? with a good and fast processor and Ram? I've tried custom building one but didnt last too well and the shop i did it at is no longer there. So suck thumb. I'd like to get sth like maybe HP or acer. Which ever is recommended. At least it has a company warranty. Any advise?

i would suggest you go with a friend that knows about computer hardware. Head down to one of the more reliable shops in SLS, and buy the branded parts and pay the shop to fixup the computer parts. usually its much more worth it.

As for the branded name PC maker, i would advise you to ask them about the warrently part.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post

Bro, wat's ur budget first of all? Are u looking at AMD or Intel? C2D (Core 2 Dual) or jus CD (Core Dual)? If u looking at "Branded" desktop, i will recommend HP Pavillion (but nt HP Compaq). Acer may look gd in terms of price and system, but their after sales service is not as reponsive as HP's. U can contact me if u intend to get a DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by iria View Post
    i would suggest you go with a friend that knows about computer hardware. Head down to one of the more reliable shops in SLS, and buy the branded parts and pay the shop to fixup the computer parts. usually its much more worth it.

As for the branded name PC maker, i would advise you to ask them about the warrently part.
    What iria mentioned is correct, from the "branded" PC maker, not all parts are covered under their warranty. If say ur OS gts corrupted or missing files, they will service with a OS charge, as OS not covered under warranty.
    Last edited by match80; 8th December 2006 at 10:12 AM.
    400D | 17-85mm f4.0-5.6 | 50mm f1.8 | 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 | 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 | 430EXII |
    My Pics

I have this one in my office...upgraded CPU to E6400, 1GB ram and 250GB x2 in raid 1 mode.....very impressed by the speed and quiteness.....but I won't buy one for personal use.....I prefer DIY becoz for the same money probably I can build something more powerful

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/sg/en...-12581462.html

I'm getting a plutotech computer which I think is a good deal. Check out their website.

DIY rock! But depend on what lovely system you want to have.

Acer wise, my coll is so far having great time with it. After sale service, still ok. C2D system and wide screen

But then again, I Beber like M. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    I have this one in my office...upgraded CPU to E6400, 1GB ram and 250GB x2 in raid 1 mode.....very impressed by the speed and quiteness.....but I won't buy one for personal use.....I prefer DIY becoz for the same money probably I can build something more powerful

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/sg/en...-12581462.html
    wohoooo, one of my school lab upgrade to that... but with 3GB of ram...
    but too bad that lab is mainly for multimedia student no doubt it is quiet, but then again i think msot core2duo com are quiet since the fans doesn't have to run that fast even at full load.

suggest you get a DIY to save cost.

the issue of lagging is due to poor maintainence of OS.

so get 2 or 3 hdd to save the hassle.

1 OS and a few more hdd for photos and stuff.

PM me so can discuss more
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast