Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 243

Thread: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

  1. #101

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Even for scientific rules, why do you think the Wright Brothers invented the airplane to fly.

    Yes, walking off from the top of a 20 storey building is hazardous, but is taking a picture different from how others see hazardous?
    The wright brothers understood the rules, therefore they invented the airplane....will they have invented the airplane if they have ignored the law of the gravity?

    You still can take pictures different from others within some guidelines (which you claim that is non existent).
    Last edited by lightning; 7th December 2006 at 01:26 AM.

  2. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zimbabwe
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Music is an art as well, and there are also rules and guidelines.....It is definiely okay to disagree.....Have you learn art formally? If you do, you will understand what I mean.... One can only break the rules when they have learnt the rules....just like you have to learn how to walk before you learn how to run...
    Of course we have to know how to use the camera before we can take any picture. We can be trained on all the technical aspects of picture taking, but whether we like the picture or not, who is to say? Some people like simple music, some like more complex ones, some like classical, others like pop, jazz or metal...

  3. #103

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    Of course we have to know how to use the camera before we can take any picture. We can be trained on all the technical aspects of picture taking, but whether we like the picture or not, who is to say? Some people like simple music, some like more complex ones, some like classical, others like pop, jazz or metal...
    Agree with you....these people are able to move on cos they understood the principal(guidelines) of music....

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    Of course we have to know how to use the camera before we can take any picture. We can be trained on all the technical aspects of picture taking, but whether we like the picture or not, who is to say? Some people like simple music, some like more complex ones, some like classical, others like pop, jazz or metal...
    Well, I think you've just reinforced what lightning is trying to say: you need to know the rules before u can break them.
    h
    So, who wants to stick his neck out and say that William hung can sing and dance?

    Kenny

  5. #105

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Well, I think you've just reinforced what lightning is trying to say: you need to know the rules before u can break them.
    h
    So, who wants to stick his neck out and say that William hung can sing and dance?

    Kenny
    Finally someone sees my point... Thanks Kenny for the analogy.

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zimbabwe
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Well, I think you've just reinforced what lightning is trying to say: you need to know the rules before u can break them.
    h
    So, who wants to stick his neck out and say that William hung can sing and dance?

    Kenny
    No I did not... Maybe i didnt explained properly. You need to know the rules for the technical part of operating the camera, but you dont have to set rules for your pictures to be nice or have soul and look artistic. Different people use different paths to find their own destiny. A person who likes Pop music may say Jazz or metal music sounds like rubbish just because they cannot understand or appreciate it. Who is to say what people take is rubbish or not.
    Last edited by Gunjack; 7th December 2006 at 01:44 AM.

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    No I did not... Maybe i didnt explained properly. You need to know the rules for the technical part of operating the camera, but you dont have to set rules for your pictures to be nice or have soul and look artistic. Different people use different paths to find their own destiny. A person who likes Pop music may say Jazz or metal music sounds like rubbish just because they cannot understand or appreciate it. Who is to say what people take is rubbish or not.
    Its all in the eyes of the Beholder.Surely you know that photography is very subjective.There is no single photo that can please everyone.Those who arent pleased are just expressing it openly.

  8. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zimbabwe
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever View Post
    Its all in the eyes of the Beholder.Surely you know that photography is very subjective.There is no single photo that can please everyone.Those who arent pleased are just expressing it openly.
    Yups, thats what I was saying. I didnt disagree with that. Ok I think I have enough said in this debate, haha! Time to catch some sleep...
    Last edited by Gunjack; 7th December 2006 at 02:02 AM.

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    No I did not... Maybe i didnt explained properly. You need to know the rules for the technical part of operating the camera, but you dont have to set rules for your pictures to be nice or have soul and look artistic. Different people use different paths to find their own destiny. A person who likes Pop music may say Jazz or metal music sounds like rubbish just because they cannot understand or appreciate it. Who is to say what people take is rubbish or not.
    The different genres of music, aren't there certain 'rules' to classify them as such? Likewise in an artform like photography, there are certain technical rules and certain artistic rules.

    Once in a while, someone comes and break the rules and come up with new ideas and concepts, and if it is universally accepted, it evolves into a new genre, with its own set of rules.

    See, there are stil rules.

    I'm not saying breaking rules is no good. But you can't just break rules for the sake of doing so and to be different.

    Similarly, to me, you can't just post a 'different' image here and say that 'i dun care what u guys think, as long as it pleases me, it's fine'. If so, then wat's the point of putting up the image here, only to invite negative comments which one deiberate choose not to heed and ignore?

    Not all 'different' image can make a difference, some are obviously more 'different' than others.

    Kenny

  10. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zimbabwe
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    The different genres of music, aren't there certain 'rules' to classify them as such? Likewise in an artform like photography, there are certain technical rules and certain artistic rules.

    Once in a while, someone comes and break the rules and come up with new ideas and concepts, and if it is universally accepted, it evolves into a new genre, with its own set of rules.

    See, there are stil rules.

    I'm not saying breaking rules is no good. But you can't just break rules for the sake of doing so and to be different.

    Similarly, to me, you can't just post a 'different' image here and say that 'i dun care what u guys think, as long as it pleases me, it's fine'. If so, then wat's the point of putting up the image here, only to invite negative comments which one deiberate choose not to heed and ignore?

    Not all 'different' image can make a difference, some are obviously more 'different' than others.

    Kenny
    I have heard of some musician who had no formal training, Yanni being one of them if I am not wrong. It doesnt matter which way you chose to learn photography, rules or no rules, as long as you are happy with the results. Some people just shoot with their heart and soul.

    We select the comments that we find useful from the others, unless you are a professional in which case you are shooting for other people's requirements. Opps, I am starting to sound like student, but i tend to agree with him, haha! Anyway, it seems like an endless cycle, thanks for the healthy debate so far, I really have to go to sleep now. Cheers!
    Last edited by Gunjack; 7th December 2006 at 02:14 AM.

  11. #111
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    I have heard of some musician who had no formal training, Yanni being one of them if I am not wrong. It doesnt matter which way you chose to learn photography, rules or no rules, as long as you are happy with the results. Some people just shoot with their heart and soul.

    We select the comments that we find useful from the others, unless you are a professional in which case you are shooting for other people's requirements. Opps, I am starting to sound like student, but i tend to agree with him, haha! Anyway, it seems like an endless cycle, thanks for the healthy debate so far, I really have to go to sleep now. Cheers!
    Yeah, Yanni had no formal training, but the music he created still had certain kind of sound to it and therefore got classified as New Age.

    Can't argue much with you on the 2nd para. However, choosing useful comments, shows that you've given some thoughts into the comments before becoming selective. But to block off all negative comments and just sticking to one's gun and just do what pleases oneself, is being foolhardy to me.

    Haha, enough said for the 'night'. Me too, have to retire to bed now. Cheers mate!

    Kenny

  12. #112

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    I think the 2 of them went for kopi already..

    .

  13. #113

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Sighz......just out for few hours and things happened to this extend.

    And it just anther never ending story, that lifes.

    As for my believes, there are no right or wrong. It just where you are standing. Again, it up to individual. Really hope these going to be fine soon. It all about basic respect and mutual understanding.

    Peace.
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 7th December 2006 at 03:46 AM.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    for those who have had personal experiences of entering a 'debate' with Dp, and is current enough with the ongoings in CS, will have a better empathy of the point student is trying to put across.

    there are several times Dp have set himself up to be the authority on photography. i won't mention where and when. point being, he made it out to seem like it's either his way, or the highway. well, again, as somebody else have mentioned in this thread, and me elsewhere...there is no absolute right or wrong. it's all relative to our current level of understanding and perceptions. if you think Dp has his points and accept his views, it's your responsibility to yourself. like the saying goes, do not the chase the wind that turns up to be a fart (oh ok, i made it up myself).

    if some of you can 'see through your own anger' of Dp's oft-rough and coarse delivery of his 'messages', why can't this same bunch of fellows accord the same to see that student ultimately 'meant well' despite his appearance to, somebody mentioned compulsive-obsessively, hunt down Dp?

    for those who have nothing better to say than 'peace no war' and sticking virtual 'V' finger signs here, i say, you can stick them up your*. who doesn't want peace? but disputes don't get solved by flower waving and cloaking the whole issue over.
    Last edited by Stereobox; 7th December 2006 at 07:59 AM.

  15. #115
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    .....for those who have nothing better to say than 'peace no war' and sticking virtual 'V' finger signs here, i say, you can stick them up your*. who doesn't want peace? but disputes don't get solved by flower waving and cloaking the whole issue over.
    We are now hearing the voice of courage.

  16. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We are now hearing the voice of courage.
    i see ninjas...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    you too pro liao..1 shot 1 kill.. so cannto clock high shutter count.

    newbie like me then machine can and get pic by trial and error
    Bo pian... i on the energy conservation project...

    多射多错,少射少错, 不射就永远不知道自己有没有错。。。
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #118
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i see ninjas...
    More like samurai to me.

  19. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Is there a need to compare shutter counts?
    there is, your shutter count scares me...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  20. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Even for scientific rules, why do you think the Wright Brothers invented the airplane to fly.

    Yes, walking off from the top of a 20 storey building is hazardous, but is taking a picture different from how others see hazardous?
    hmm, do u know the rules of thirds?

    if yes, then how did u know the rules when u say u got no rules?

    if no, how did you break the rules when there is no rules to start with?

    every game is the same, there is rules to govern the game, to me photography is another game & hobby, u follow the rules to enjoy the game, u break the rules to excel over it. if there is no rules, then where did the game come from?

    rules on art, there is rules and there is no rules, y? rules restrict art, to follow rules blindly in art will make u just a straightforward person who isn't artistic... to bend around the rules to create is art. To totally reject the rules is being overly arrogant and disregard art itself... thats how i feel...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •