Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

Default Re: Of Photography, Learning Photography, and Deadpoet.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    humm...if you already know that your photos are adnormal and most likely to get bad comments, why post it in the first place? You should be the most critical critique to yourself, and that will really bring you to a greater height!
    maybe he just attention seeking... no flame no gain...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Words are just words... you guys must meet up and talk over it. Or at least over the phone 1st. Despite the advancement of technology, computers still cannot understand human language. Communication... involves a lot more than words... I had the opportunity to study 1 totally unrelated subject to engineering that was 'the use of language'.

Just fyi.... from a book i read many years ago... A simple question could mean many things...
    "Can you reach the salt?"....

Suppose, for instance, that A and B are dining together and A says, Can you reach the salt?, to B, an
    utterance that has the conventional meaning of an inquiry of B by A as to
    whether or not B is physically able to reach the salt.

In this case, B would likely assume that A's saying this meant that she wanted the salt (the
    contextual significance of the utterance), that is, that A's goal was to obtain the salt (the speaker's intention).

However, suppose that A is arranging the apartment of B, who is physically handicapped, so that B can be self-sufficient and A says, Can you reach the salt? to B. In this case, B would
    likely assume that A's saying this meant that A wanted to know whether or not B was physically able to reach the salt (the contextual significance of the utterance), that is, that A's goal was to come to know whether or not B was physically able to reach the salt (the speaker's intention)
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Chong,

While I've the utmost respect for your works here, I really can't bring myself to say the same about the way you conduct yourself over this entire DP saga.

How would bringing all these things up here, benefit the CS community? How would those few exchanges betw DP and you, prove to us, beyond reasonable doubt about DP's character?

Many of us would not have understood this eternal feud betw. you two. So, pray tell me, your objective is?

Let me tell you what I do perceive over these few months of my (more active)participation in this forum here:

I've come across a few threads where you try to drag DP into the picture. Some of these posts are really thin veiled digs you hurl at DP, and what I do perceive, as a relatively newcomer, is that you are really spoiling for a fight with him.

I've not really come across a thread whereby DP does the same to you. What is more depressing is that, when DP comes into the thread and have an arugment with you, the whole thread degenerates into a mudslinging match between you two, which is most of the time, of no consequence to the topic.

So when this thing happens to these threads, don't you think that in some ways, accidental or otherwise, both of you have trespassed someone' thread, brought along a hurricane with you, and then leaving the scene with a trail of destruction?

So much for trying help others improve. If this isn't hypocrisy, then what is?

I'm not trying to take sides, I'm just trying to convey what I perceive thus far.

Your relentless pursuit of DP, to me, is really an obsessive compulsive behaviour. And the way you conduct your argument, really sound like the Grand Inqusition itself! It is getting tiresome for people to rebutt or prove to you point for point, especially for many of us who are not as linguistically well endowed as your esteemed self. And if your intention is to wear your opponents down and confuse them, I think you are doing a pretty good job at that.

While I'm not saying you are wrong about DP, I can't say you are right either, since I don't have an inkling about the feud you have with him. However, I'm quite sure many of the members here do share my sentiments (please don't ask me to prove it, I must admit I can't).

After reading your numerous postings, what members like me do see, is that you are always trying to hunt DP down. And what DP does, is to just try and shunt away from argument. DP is smart, he is playing a victim here. And your relentless pursuit will only reinforce this image of his in us.

Thus, i can tell you that by posting your personal feud here with him, you've got nothing much to gain, but alot to lose.

Cheers,

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by evershine View Post
    Words are just words... you guys must meet up and talk over it. Or at least over the phone 1st. Despite the advancement of technology, computers still cannot understand human language. Communication... involves a lot more than words... I had the opportunity to study 1 totally unrelated subject to engineering that was 'the use of language'.

Just fyi.... from a book i read many years ago... A simple question could mean many things...
    "Can you reach the salt?"....

Suppose, for instance, that A and B are dining together and A says, Can you reach the salt?, to B, an
    utterance that has the conventional meaning of an inquiry of B by A as to
    whether or not B is physically able to reach the salt.

In this case, B would likely assume that A's saying this meant that she wanted the salt (the
    contextual significance of the utterance), that is, that A's goal was to obtain the salt (the speaker's intention).

However, suppose that A is arranging the apartment of B, who is physically handicapped, so that B can be self-sufficient and A says, Can you reach the salt? to B. In this case, B would
    likely assume that A's saying this meant that A wanted to know whether or not B was physically able to reach the salt (the contextual significance of the utterance), that is, that A's goal was to come to know whether or not B was physically able to reach the salt (the speaker's intention)
    wah... u make smth that's fundamentally quite simple so complicated..

humm...if you already know that your photos are adnormal and most likely to get bad comments, why post it in the first place? You should be the most critical critique to yourself, and that will really bring you to a greater height!

Yes we can break rules, but the question is "Do you know when to break them?". You can't be breaking rules all the time, then why should the rules be there in the first place?
    Yes, I know that it's likely to get bad comments. But, what type of bad comments is the question. Sometimes, we need others' bad opinions (which are useful) to improve ...

Rules:
    Are there rules? I don't see much rules. I prefer to do things without rules. Rules standardize things, and I don't like it ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    maybe he just attention seeking... no flame no gain...
    i remember many people are arguing that photography is a form of art. if picasso or van gogh are self conscious that their art are abnormal (they ARE) and not publish them, we wouldn't have their pieces now fetching millions.

comparing photography to art, and telling people not to post their creations unless they know it's good, is IMHO self contradictory.

offices, workplaces can run at ISO9000 standards, art dun hav to. isn't it ha?

Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    It looks like people are not happy with images which look abnormal to them, whether distorted, overexposed and so on. I do have people pming me that they like those "abnormal" images here or in my gallery.

But I feel, taking those abnormal images are quite fun, experimenting with new ideas and so on. Following others' opinion and produce the same type of images might not be a good idea in this case ...

The reason of me (or maybe others) posting these "abnormal" images is to gather comments, whether bad or not, to improve on them (of course, selective of the comments), though I'd appreciate those commenting not to use personal insults.

Anyway, where's the fun when you gotta follow a set of rules and shoot the standard way ... Photography should be fun (as a hobbylist), creating images which you like . DP and Student have different style of shooting. I've not seen much of DP's works, but I kinda like Student's style though .

I know my comments might not be useful, coz I'm a leaning newbie too ...
    of course everyone has his/her own style of taking photos..is either for personal viewing or to share with everyone.When u want to share,make sure others can appreaicate it.Nt so 'artistic' till no one else could see a thing..
    Photography is jus painting a drawing..if u paint a drawing that looks like a photo,then why paint in the first place.Might as well use a camera take a photo since it looks the same. So if u took a photo that no one else can understand wat u are trying to present to the rest when share out. Might as well paint it out and say that is a art piece, then will have value.Then wat is the point to share it out when no one can understand? Of course can have own style,but nt till no one can see wat is it.Then those can keep for personal view, dont need to share out since no one can appreciate it.
    1Dmk3,EF{16-35/24-70/70-200/300IS}F2.8L|100-400IS|TSE24F3.5L|MPE65|180F3.5L|50F1.4|35F1.4L|100 F2.8}

Quote Originally Posted by GaoZi View Post
    i remember many people are arguing that photography is a form of art. if picasso or van gogh are self conscious that their art are abnormal (they ARE) and not publish them, we wouldn't have their pieces now fetching millions.

comparing photography to art, and telling people not to post their creations unless they know it's good, is IMHO self contradictory.

offices, workplaces can run at ISO9000 standards, art dun hav to. isn't it ha?
    cheem... 1st thing 1st, did they die and then get famous, or did they get famous before they die? and did they publish them or were they found?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Yes, I know that it's likely to get bad comments. But, what type of bad comments is the question. Sometimes, we need others' bad opinions (which are useful) to improve ...

Rules:
    Are there rules? I don't see much rules. I prefer to do things without rules. Rules standardize things, and I don't like it ...
    What can I say about this? It really shows how childish your thinking can be. Even the animals have rules....in Singapore there are rules, photography there are rules as well.....if you have not realised these rules, how then do you know how to break it??

What can I say about this? It really shows how childish your thinking can be. Even the animals have rules....in Singapore there are rules, photography there are rules as well.....if you have not realised these rules, how then do you know how to break it??
    absolutely...

how to break rules when u dunno rules exist? thats a question for him to ponder...

Rules:
    Rules are guidelines to help u to get something out of nothing..of course can break rules,but people break rules to get excellent things out of something..nt getting negative out of nothing...
    1Dmk3,EF{16-35/24-70/70-200/300IS}F2.8L|100-400IS|TSE24F3.5L|MPE65|180F3.5L|50F1.4|35F1.4L|100 F2.8}

Quote Originally Posted by cherkel View Post
    of course everyone has his/her own style of taking photos..is either for personal viewing or to share with everyone.When u want to share,make sure others can appreaicate it.Nt so 'artistic' till no one else could see a thing..
    Photography is jus painting a drawing..if u paint a drawing that looks like a photo,then why paint in the first place.Might as well use a camera take a photo since it looks the same. So if u took a photo that no one else can understand wat u are trying to present to the rest when share out. Might as well paint it out and say that is a art piece, then will have value.Then wat is the point to share it out when no one can understand? Of course can have own style,but nt till no one can see wat is it.Then those can keep for personal view, dont need to share out since no one can appreciate it.
    apparently it can. those interested can read Steve Pinker's Blank Slate, the chapter on Arts.
    $200,000 was paid for a big BLANK white canvas. it was a painting. stunned.

i concede that maybe cs is not the right place to post art.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Chong,

While I've the utmost respect for your works here, I really can't bring myself to say the same about the way you conduct yourself over this entire DP saga.

How would bringing all these things up here, benefit the CS community? How would those few exchanges betw DP and you, prove to us, beyond reasonable doubt about DP's character?

Many of us would not have understood this eternal feud betw. you two. So, pray tell me, your objective is?

Let me tell you what I do perceive over these few months of my (more active)participation in this forum here:

I've come across a few threads where you try to drag DP into the picture. Some of these posts are really thin veiled digs you hurl at DP, and what I do perceive, as a relatively newcomer, is that you are really spoiling for a fight with him.

I've not really come across a thread whereby DP does the same to you. What is more depressing is that, when DP comes into the thread and have an arugment with you, the whole thread degenerates into a mudslinging match between you two, which is most of the time, of no consequence to the topic.

So when this thing happens to these threads, don't you think that in some ways, accidental or otherwise, both of you have trespassed someone' thread, brought along a hurricane with you, and then leaving the scene with a trail of destruction?

So much for trying help others improve. If this isn't hypocrisy, then what is?

I'm not trying to take sides, I'm just trying to convey what I perceive thus far.

Your relentless pursuit of DP, to me, is really an obsessive compulsive behaviour. And the way you conduct your argument, really sound like the Grand Inqusition itself! It is getting tiresome for people to rebutt or prove to you point for point, especially for many of us who are not as linguistically well endowed as your esteemed self. And if your intention is to wear your opponents down and confuse them, I think you are doing a pretty good job at that.

While I'm not saying you are wrong about DP, I can't say you are right either, since I don't have an inkling about the feud you have with him. However, I'm quite sure many of the members here do share my sentiments (please don't ask me to prove it, I must admit I can't).

After reading your numerous postings, what members like me do see, is that you are always trying to hunt DP down. And what DP does, is to just try and shunt away from argument. DP is smart, he is playing a victim here. And your relentless pursuit will only reinforce this image of his in us.

Thus, i can tell you that by posting your personal feud here with him, you've got nothing much to gain, but alot to lose.

Cheers,

Kenny
    Without bias & prejudice, well said.

Student, maybe you should cool down. Cos the other thread u are explaining to me, i reply to you, the replies you gave just seem to diverse. But i guess its really up to u to understand what is going on. Try to look at the big picture, stop using the macro mode... When using the macro mode, u see everything is sh1t, but when u engage the wide angle, u may just find the button to flush all the sh1t away.

Trying hard not to conform, just for the sake to be different, is a subscription to conformity in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cherkel View Post
    "Share what you like" <--- heard it before?

Yup there're rules. But do you think that some of the rules are not necessary?

the rule in sg say "ignorance is not an excuse"
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    absolutely...

how to break rules when u dunno rules exist? thats a question for him to ponder...
    The question for me should be "do I think I need these rules" ...

This thread is hogging precious bandwidth. I am surprised the Admins let it run this long.

Is there a rule in clubsnap that states that only images that fit a certain standard can be posted or critiqued?
    Last edited by Gunjack; 7th December 2006 at 01:02 AM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast