Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: recommendations :p for night shots

  1. #1
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default recommendations :p for night shots

    hi guys,

    similar to my previous thread, is the canon 50mm f1.8 II a gd lens to use for night shots in orchard road at night ? (should be able to take gd scenery too right ? a going 2 stay at marriott during christmas, hope got gd view)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    hi guys,

    similar to my previous thread, is the canon 50mm f1.8 II a gd lens to use for night shots in orchard road at night ? (should be able to take gd scenery too right ? a going 2 stay at marriott during christmas, hope got gd view)
    use the $ to get a good tripod instead... since you say scenery, tripod is 10000% better than f1.8

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    It all depends on what kind of shots you wanna get.
    If you're talking about lens which can give you a handholdable speed, then the 50mmf1.8 is a good choice.
    If you are talking about long exposures, then a zoom might do better.

  4. #4
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever View Post
    It all depends on what kind of shots you wanna get.
    If you're talking about lens which can give you a handholdable speed, then the 50mmf1.8 is a good choice.
    If you are talking about long exposures, then a zoom might do better.
    mr Jedi (which jedi r u ? hehe) hmmm mi thinking of getting a holdable lens to walk around orchard at night and take picz, so a 50mm wif f/1.8 is gd right ? this lens can also take scenery right ? hmmm.. i now headache cause dun 1 2 spend so much on lens hehe mi poor boi

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    mr Jedi (which jedi r u ? hehe) hmmm mi thinking of getting a holdable lens to walk around orchard at night and take picz, so a 50mm wif f/1.8 is gd right ? this lens can also take scenery right ? hmmm.. i now headache cause dun 1 2 spend so much on lens hehe mi poor boi
    I dun think you want to take soft pictures of the night scenery at f1.8

    Most users normally take pics of night scenes at apertures of about f8 or smaller to have a longer DOF. And in that situation, you'd need longer shutter speeds too. So a tripod is often used.

    As for night street shooting of certain objects or ppl, then you may wanna consider the 50mm f1.8, but note that the DOF is very think at f1.8... also on a DSLR, it's abt 75mm perspective, not very useful for scenery...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #6
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    get a tripod

  7. #7
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I dun think you want to take soft pictures of the night scenery at f1.8

    Most users normally take pics of night scenes at apertures of about f8 or smaller to have a longer DOF. And in that situation, you'd need longer shutter speeds too. So a tripod is often used.

    As for night street shooting of certain objects or ppl, then you may wanna consider the 50mm f1.8, but note that the DOF is very think at f1.8... also on a DSLR, it's abt 75mm perspective, not very useful for scenery...

    okieo kie gotcha ... think i starting 2 understand more liao as i read and try out the shots.
    thanks guys !!

  8. #8
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    get a tripod
    tri pod must look out for wat type arr ... mi newbie

    i got 1 free tri pod when i bought a samsung digi cam for mi mum .. hmmm think i use that haha...

    hmmm oh yah ... i still got a min-EQ tripod stand hehehe... buy v short haha

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    tri pod must look out for wat type arr ... mi newbie

    i got 1 free tri pod when i bought a samsung digi cam for mi mum .. hmmm think i use that haha...

    hmmm oh yah ... i still got a min-EQ tripod stand hehehe... buy v short haha
    As stable as possible...

    but do note the weight. Some can be pretty heavy for lugging around. There is always a balance of weight vs the stability and also the cost. Check out the old posts on choosing tripods...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    get the best tripod your budget can stretch. stability and weight are very impt issues. 2 nights ago i was walking around my neighbourhood for about 2 hours testing shots with my friend's slik u8000 and my arms almost broke.

    a tripod you dont feel like bringing out is a useless piece of eqpt!
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    to me slik 330/340dx + manfrotto 486RC2 is a good and decent setup. Price is also
    @ about $250 you get a tripod/pan-tilt head and a ballhead.

    btw the pan-tilt head is pretty solid... no problem support d50 + sb600 + 80-200 f2.8 and a flash (tripod collar used) or d50 and a 700g+/- lens.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 7th December 2006 at 07:01 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    a light tripod that gives you camera shake is also a useless piece of equipment

    try this

    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=129882

  13. #13
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    slik is good..... very value for money....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

  14. #14
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: recommendations :p for night shots

    wah ... kk will try out mi tri pod den c how

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •